USB audio grade cable.

Options
Hello All,

I'm looking for a preferably short USB cable that's audio grade and the ends are type A to mini type B. This will make a nice upgrade to my headphone/dac setup.
2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)

Comments

• helipilotdoug
    Options
    We have 2 Furutech USB A to Mini B cables that are both excellent, and available in several lengths from 0.6 meters to 7 meters..
    Frutech GT2 Type A Mini B USB 2 Cable
    and the
    Frutech GT2Pro A to MiniB High End Performance USB 2 Cable
    As a Club Polk Member, you will get a 10% discount on your order. Please PM me if we can help.
    Best Regards,
    Doug
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 725
    Options
    We have 2 Furutech USB A to Mini B cables that are both excellent, and available in several lengths from 0.6 meters to 7 meters..
    Frutech GT2 Type A Mini B USB 2 Cable
    and the
    Frutech GT2Pro A to MiniB High End Performance USB 2 Cable
    As a Club Polk Member, you will get a 10% discount on your order. Please PM me if we can help.
    Best Regards,
    Doug

Thanks for responding Doug.
    DSkip wrote: »
    What is your price range? The Wireworld Starlight 7 is a well-reviewed cable at $100 and Audioquest has some decent USB cables as well.

I use the Platinum Starlight 7 in my main rig and it is superb. I have the Starlight, but honestly haven't had much time to get a feel for it.

Skip the budget is ~$100. So I'm also reaching out to the used market as well.
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • HzTweaker
    Options
    ^^ Copy that. I'm looking them up now.
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Options
    I'm using the WW Starlight 7 red (silver/copper?) A to Mini B into a Meridian Explorer2. I'm guessing that's the same one as Skip is referring to. Regardless, I like this one. I've liked all the Wireworld USB cables that I've tried up to a Starlight silver - not platinum - haven't tried that one.

I really love my little Curious Cable shorty for the MicroRendu to Chord Qute dac. 30-day money back guarantee.

I've also enjoyed all the Douglas interconnects I've tried, but have no experience with his USB's.
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • HzTweaker
    Options
    ^^ Sweet. I just don't know how committed I am to spend $90+ on the cable. Unless I can find one of better quality on the used market for <$100.

With that said I do have my eyes on the WW Chroma. It has to be better than the "joe schmo" cable that DAC came with right? Anyone with experience with this particular cable (WW Chroma)?
  • vcwatkins
    Options
    Yeah, I was very hesitant to pay up for a USB cable too. I bought a WW Ultraviolet for, I think, $50 maybe five years ago. I was very surprised how much it improved the sound. This was a rig fed by my desktop PC into a MusicStreamerII. Very noticeable improvement. And I feel like I've gotten added value with each incremental step up.

If it were me, I would avoid the trading up and just go straight to Skip's Starlight 7 if possible.
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    @vcwatkins I was actually reading about Curious Cable and was eventually going to pick one up to go between my w4s recovery and Vi dac.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    Almost forgot, The starlight is a good sounding usb cable.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • vcwatkins
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Where are you guys getting the information from the Curious Cable? I have a hard time buying into his product. I'm sure it produces results, but I see nothing on his website that makes me feel comfortable with them. I don't even see any details on what he is making them out of - just that improvements were found.

That is one of the handful of reasons I like Wireworld. They show you the geometry and tell you exactly what it is made of down to the connectors. You can trace price directly back to the materials used. Other companies from Audioquest even down to guys like Doug advertise this information freely on their product pages.

My feeling from the website is that its just some creepy dude selling a DIY cable.
    Yeah, no info there to really grab hold of. I can understand the vibe your describing. I took a leap of faith based on a few reviews at Computer Audiophile and this one at Six Moons (itself weird). I just needed a shorty (~5"), so it wasn't overly expensive - about the same as Starlight 7 red.

Dunno if it was the much shorter length, but it beat out the Starlight Red, AQ Carbon, and Sonore hard adapter between uRendu and Qute. Need to bring the WW Silver back to compare it to the Curious. Wish I could find a good price on a used Platinum too (wink-wink-nudge-nudge).
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/175898/audioquest-carbon-1-5m-usb-a-to-b-cable#latest

Look no further at half price to boot I almost got this but have no need at the moment.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • HzTweaker
    Options
    Thanks for posting @gudnoyez . That's a great buy right there!^ Unfortunately my application calls for A to mini B.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    Ah a mini pay me no mind. I saw USB A to B and immediately thought of Dan's didn't even think about the mini end.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • HzTweaker
    Options
    Decided to go with these.
    aewmv87x4n0o.jpg

wsyro8uivdc3.jpg

I set a budget for myself. That being said some would say that means compromise but I think I did okay so far. I went with the WW Ultraviolet 7(2m) and had enough in the budget left over for the WW Chroma for the headphone setup. So far I have been listening to the Hphones with the Chrome and flack files (thanks to @02guy ) and I have to say what a difference this cable has made over the cable the Fulla came with. It definitely has improved the head room and over all clarity. No doubt about it.

Later after the circuits clam down in the house. (It's laundry day.. .Ahem) I'll be giving the Ultraviolet a try on the stereo rig.
  • HzTweaker
    Options
    Thanks dude ^^ . I have to say I was hesitant to act on the Chroma (speaking with little experience to the various cable options) but I'm glad I purchased it. I'm listening to a second album (Fleetwood Mac Rumours on Flack files) now and I can see myself listening to several more with out getting tired/un-amused.