Good integrated amp - no tubes.

Options
I'm playing with the idea of selling off more gear and going simpler on my second system. I'm asking advice on a good non-tubed integrated amp. It would be used to test and sound speakers as I rebuild them so it has to be decent.

Any advice?
Aaron
Enabler Extraordinaire

Comments

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,063
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I think the Ampino that Skip mentioned would be perfect for you. It's inexpensive, but it punches above it's weight class. It only has two inputs (I think), so you aren't paying for things you won't be using. For it's price, this piece has impressed me more than any other I've heard.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    ^^^^ heed these words, buoys and gulls....
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    Options
    Pass Labs INT-60

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,556
    Options
    That Pass...cool as heck... but way past my price point on this project! But damn....
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • Erik Tracy
    Options
    Well, I was kinda teasing out a budget for your request. :)

It's on my wish list...someday.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    Budget: under $1000....under $500?
    Inputs: You need speaker terminals.....what else?
    DIY or pre-assembled? I will be shocked if you don't build this yourself. SHOCKED! :D

Need mo' info.

I like my Peachtree Int but it has a little 6922 tube.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Erik Tracy
    Options
    Also, new only, or can it be used?

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    Musical Fidelity always gets high marks, but not sure what your budget is. Looking for an inexpensive sleeper?
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • ALL212
    edited January 2017
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Budget: under $1000....under $500?
    Inputs: You need speaker terminals.....what else?
    DIY or pre-assembled? I will be shocked if you don't build this yourself. SHOCKED! :D

Need mo' info.

I like my Peachtree Int but it has a little 6922 tube.

All these questions....JEEPERS!
    Speakers are good, 2 inputs would work, 1 would cover it. Around $1000, little more...little less won't matter. Used or New - Used is fine.

This year isn't going to allow for DIY. I need to average at least 2 projects completed per month at work based on the number I've got setup . Gonna be a **** year...

Reasoning... I've got a hell of a system in my secondary that really is just another primary. Odyssey Audio Candela tubed pre, Stratos and Khartago power amps, Lite 60 Dac that's been upgraded but I run secondary speakers on it - bookshelfs that I've redone just to make sure they work and sound as they should. It's overkill for what I'm listening to and a lot of work to hook up (cables...cables everywhere!)

No Tubes:
    I just redid some Infinity speakers and thought that one side had a bad tweeter as there was a high pitched whistle occasionally out of them. Bummed... Ran another set of speakers and had the same issue. Turned out to be a tube was just noisy. Tube tested good and strong, just an evil twist to it. Easy and cheap fix but I thought for sure I had jacked up some speakers (or amps). If I want tubes somewhere I can do that other ways.

Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • ALL212
    Options
    About a D flat would work, maybe woody with slight vanilla overtones... :D

Neutral - not analytic to the extreme. I've heard dry flat systems - don't like 'em.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • ALL212
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    OK. The Ampino is out then as far as my rec's. The Menuetto is very neutral, but its not cold-sounding and fits into your budget. Yeah, I'm a dealer, but no sales push here. I just like the product.

I trust ya! I'll hit the website and see what the story is on these.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    What Color?
    Black or Silver or maybe rosewood?
    How about a hybrid amplifier?
    BTW I did get my ears on those Dayen's amps and they were impressive!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    Marantz PM8005
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ALL212
    Options
    voltz wrote: »
    What Color?
    Black or Silver or maybe rosewood?
    How about a hybrid amplifier?
    BTW I did get my ears on those Dayen's amps and they were impressive!

Yes, I'd like the amp colored. Those darn invisible amps are just too hard to find.

Hybrid - Nah....solid state all the way for this one.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    My vote is for Hegel.....been meaning to pick up one for a while now but haven't pulled the trigger. Going on reviews alone so no input.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    My vote is for Hegel.....been meaning to pick up one for a while now but haven't pulled the trigger. Going on reviews alone so no input.

Hegel's are nice

If it wasn't for the price I bought my KWI-200 I'd own one
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    The guys here are usually full of great suggestions, but, I think there has been some pretty lame advice handed out this time around. Look no further...

li0o5wx5ua7u.jpg
  • ALL212
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »
    The guys here are usually full of great suggestions, but, I think there has been some pretty lame advice handed out this time around. Look no further...

li0o5wx5ua7u.jpg

Is that an 8-track in the front!!! I'm in - where do I get this art piece?? :o

Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • kharp1
    Options
    Slow down, now...not only does this little gem have an 8 track player, but, if you'll notice, it has the cassette deck also. This isn't a kids toy.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The Menuetto is such a great sounding amp.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    Options
    I had a NAD356 and Cambridge 640a V2 for awhile.....both solid performers and there are higher powered versions available if you watch the used market.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    Slow down, now...not only does this little gem have an 8 track player, but, if you'll notice, it has the cassette deck also. This isn't a kids toy.

Great. Now I have to squeegee spattered coffee off my laptop screen.
  • kharp1
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Great. Now I have to squeegee spattered coffee off my laptop screen.

Sounds like my "social" agenda... ;)