Broken DSW PRO 400

Broken DSW PRO 400
I have bought this in Sweden at "Net on Net" but now they do not sell or repair this anymore.
now i have found service shop that can fix my speaker but he can't get the blueprint schema for the DSW PRO 400. I have mailed polk audio to time. no reply!
I have try to find the blueprint schema on trhe and try to talk to polk audio prtner in Norway Oslo, they say that the will help but never come back to me.

I need help here!

/Mats

Comments

• Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. I'll ask someone at Polk to contact you and provide the amplifier's schematic.
    Regards, Ken
  • Polk's Ken Carter has responded that he has asked for the schematic and should have it in a day or two.
  • Hi. I have a DSW 400 Pro, bought it brand new in Dec 2008. Worked until this year, then died. Took the back off and found that a diode on the power supply board blew. Replaced with exact diode and the unit worked for about a week and then died again. The same diode blew again. All other components look good on the power supply and amp boards.

Are you able to help me diagnose the problem?

The diode is right between R4 and D4, and seems to be identified as TVS1.
    The diode number is P6KE180ALFCT-ND and it's destqhc97hjy7s2.jpg
    cription is "TVS Diode 154VMW 246VC DO204AC".

I need to find out what is causing this diode to overload.

Thanks!

Thanks.
    myc5qghubt58.jpg
  • gw936
    gw936 Posts: 4
    Hi, I have the exact same problem. Did you ever get an answer to this or solve the problem?
    Much thanks.
  • itinker
    itinker Posts: 2
    I too, have the exact same problem: DSW PRO 400 failed TVS Diode. Pictures of my board would look identical.

Any updates as to the cause of failure and fix. I called Polk inquiring about a schematic and any related Technical Service Bulletins that may be available, their Customer Service was not very helpful and could not provide anything.

Thank you in advance for any insights.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Hello,
    Send an email to: Ken.Carter@soundunited.com and ask for assistance.
  • itinker
    itinker Posts: 2
    Ken,

Thank you. I will contact Mr.Carter.
  • I've got the same problem. I'll contact Mr. Carter as well since that's all this forum leads to unless I can get any other positive assistance.

What I wanted to share was my experience with Polk Audio Support/Customer Service.....absolutely terrible! I've gotten such a runaround on trying to order a replacement amplifier for the Pro 400 I'm at the point of never purchasing another PA product again. The part # given for the amplifier from polkcs@polkaudio.com support was RF8008-1. When I called to check over the phone on availability/pricing (if you can actually speak to a person) I was advised this part was no longer available, and I'd have to purchase the one for the newer model 440 for ~ $260 (sorry don't have that part # on hand), and was told the 440 amplifier was interchangeable with the 400. Instead of buying only the amplifier I opted to buy a used Pro 440 off Amazon thinking this would allow me the ability to have spare parts between the 400 and 440 if ever needed. The 440 amplifier is a completely different amplifier with different connectors. So, I ended up returning it. I proceeded to call customer service and question why they stated these amplifiers were interchangeable since the power rating wasn't even the same (440 - 80watts, 400 - 160watts). The gentleman was rude and started to argue with me stating the size of opening for the amplifier was the same the 400 and 440, but no regard that the actual power specs were different, haha seriously!

I've emailed both polkcs@polkaudio.com and polk@mailmw.custhelp.com on my experience but crickets thus far. It's quite disappointing that customer service can be this low, and such a disconnect on information when trying to order replacement parts instead of going out to buy a whole new sub. I get this sub is older and no longer warrantied, but getting the correct answers and positive customer service would go a long way.

Sorry for the long rant here, but felt I should share my experience somewhere so it's visible.

Thanks,
    Disappointed Polk Audio Customer
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    It's a damn shame that the current higher ups at Polk have failed to realize the importance of excellent customer service that the original owners of Polk fully realized.

Kevin Duffy, are you listening!?!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• KayGeeBee
    KayGeeBee Posts: 2
    edited June 2020
    Hi guys. So my DSW Pro 400 also developed a fault although seems to be different parts of the PCB, see attached. Did anyone receive the schematics for the board by any chance? I'm happy to try a self repair of I can find out what these burnt out resistors actually are. Any suggestions or advice? I'm based in the UK so not able to get much dedicated Polk tech support on this side of the pond
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Hello,
    Send an email to: Kim.Jasper@soundunited.com and ask for schematic.
  • fox999
    fox999 Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    I've the very same issue on a DSW400. Any hint ?
    Thanks
  • hawk3yez
    hawk3yez Posts: 2
    I ended up buying this replacement amplifier, and it fits the opening of the DSW400 enclosure pretty good. It required slight modification to make it fit. Gave my sub additional life without buying new! https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-spa250-250-watt-subwoofer-plate-amplifier--300-803
  • Noticed that my DSW Pro 400 won't power on anymore. Not sure how long it's been dead but it doesn't appear to have the same type of damage that some of the images above have shown. There is no power getting to the unit. Since I couldn't find the schematic on the circuit board, my guess is that maybe a fuse has blown somewhere. Does anyone know if there is a fuse near the input for the power supply and where that might be on the circuit board? (sorry if that's a stupid question, I'm not technically inclined when it comes to the guts of electronics.)
  • Hi everyone! Initially, sorry to my bad english...
    I trying to fix the same subwoofer that the ic U2 of the power supply has blow-out and the reference was lost! Someone has the photo of this? Best regards !
  • jomat77
    jomat77 Posts: 11
    martyjay75 wrote: »
    Noticed that my DSW Pro 400 won't power on anymore. Not sure how long it's been dead but it doesn't appear to have the same type of damage that some of the images above have shown. There is no power getting to the unit. Since I couldn't find the schematic on the circuit board, my guess is that maybe a fuse has blown somewhere. Does anyone know if there is a fuse near the input for the power supply and where that might be on the circuit board? (sorry if that's a stupid question, I'm not technically inclined when it comes to the guts of electronics.)

The main fuse is actually built right into the female socket that the power cord plugs into, on the back of the sub. You'll need a small screw driver to pry it up to check it. Will be similar to the attached picture. Good luck

1on8es9dgr9j.png

• jomat77
    jomat77 Posts: 11
    Hi all, I realize that this is an older thread, but I am having the same issue with my DSW Pro 400. It just quit on me. Fuse is fine. I have that same burnt looking area on my board as the poster @xonxoff posted above. My diode is not split like that, just the board looks brown in that area.
    I have pretty much ZERO electronics knowledge, and am looking to have this repaired. I do own a decent fluke multi-meter that I can probably get some good readings from, I just don't really know what to check exactly.
    I don't mind trying to purchase the proper small parts and doing some soldering, but again...I'm a complete novice at this. I would prefer to find someone else to fix it, but not sure if that's possible, or even cost effective.
    Thoughts from anyone? Thanks in advance.

I removed the C7 and the board is burnt pretty bad underneath it, as well as on the bottom of the board. It took the thin film of coating off a copper patch. I may try to just order that suggested diode, solder it in and see what happens. I'll post a few pics when I can. BTW, that diode was actually really loose. I just bent the prong a little on the back and it popped out. Didn't have to mess with solder.

• POLK THIS ISSUE SEEMS TO BE EVERYWHERE!! I want to fix this sub, do you have replacement parts for this dsw pro 400 ??
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    robelopr wrote: »
    POLK THIS ISSUE SEEMS TO BE EVERYWHERE!! I want to fix this sub, do you have replacement parts for this dsw pro 400 ??

THIS IS NOT THE SUPPORT HOTLINE CALL ...1 (800) 377-7655
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • clm57
    clm57 Posts: 2
    I realize this is an old thread, but I have the same issue. The board near the tsv1, c7 location is discolored and visually I’d guess the diode is bad. Will pursue getting schematics, but was wondering what the results of just changing the diode has been. Anyone tried that? Was that successful or were more components involved? I’m an EE so if I can get schematics will pursue, but was wondering what others experienced. Thanks in advance!
  • clm57
    clm57 Posts: 2
    Just in case someone looks at this thread further....
    Sound Unlimited does not have a schematic for the 400. They did respond to my emails and sent me one for the 440, but the 400 circuitry is obviously very different.

However, I was able to repair my failure. The tsv diode had obviously failed, and checking the components near by, I found one of the UF4007 diodes had failed. At initial inspection it looked like one of the optocouplers was cracked, but when I pulled it out, it was just a line of glue or something across it that made it appear cracked.

I replaced the UF4007 with a direct replacement. The exact TSV was not available, so after comparing specs, I used a P6KE180A (available on Amazon) to replace it. I actually used 3 of them in parallel, since this has evidently been a common failure. Putting multiple diodes in parallel doesn't guarantee better results since they are most likely not exactly matched, but it won't hurt and does improve the chances. I also replaced the optocoupler I thought was cracked, but don't think that was necessary.

That did fix my issue and my subwoofer is operating again.