Need advice on receiver purchase for SDA 2 speakers

Options
13»

Comments

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    Roemer wrote: »
    Question: the manual for my SDA-2B speakers states they're 6 ohm nominal impedance. With that being said, I have my AVR set to 6 ohm. I'm assuming this is correct?
    WHAT does this "switch" do? What does it change inside the receiver?

Yamaha has an impedance-matching switch that strangles the power supply in the "low-impedance" position. It's cheaper to install a switch than to provide adequate copper in the transformer, enough output devices and appropriate heat-sinking. The ONLY reason the switch exists is so that Yammie can claim 4-ohm impedance compatibility when they cut costs and under-engineered the thing.

Discussing Yamaha's cost-cutting in the comments section of that article had the effect of getting me removed from Audioholics.com. I reminded the owner/operator of his years-earlier article where he called-out manufacturers that "cheated" the FTC specs like Yammie does. By the time he was "reviewing" the Yammie, he'd drunk the kool-aid and objected to being reminded of his previous position. His review suggested ignoring the operating instructions and just running the Yammie in "high-impedance--8-ohm" mode regardless of speaker impedance, so the power supply didn't get choked. I noticed that my page-loading speed on that site turned to shiit instantly afterwards. Other members insinuated that was payback for disagreeing with The Boss. I haven't signed-in there since.
  • Roemer
    Roemer Posts: 44
    Options
    5qcgtc23p0er.jpg

Schurkey, I'm not exactly an expert in the audio field. Just diving into it. This is the setting I changed to 6.
    My current setup:
    - Yamaha Aventage 9.2 channel 1260 Watt receiver; model RX-A2050BL
    - Pair of Polk SDA 2B speakers
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Keep it at 8 ohm unless you can't control yourself with the volume dial.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Roemer
    Options
    Polk is sending me a replacement pair of tweeters. I'm waiting on them to arrive. Should be here any day. I'll keep you posted.

I received my replacement tweeters today and installed them. They seem to be working well. First pair must have been a bad pair.
    My current setup:
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Question: the manual for my SDA-2B speakers states they're 6 ohm nominal impedance. With that being said, I have my AVR set to 6 ohm. I'm assuming this is correct?

Nope, leave it at 8ohm. Receivers with that 6 ohm, or 4 ohm switch cut the power so the receiver doesn't overheat. Their power supplies are not that robust to handle the lower loads. Your in essence starving your speakers of power by using that switch. The advice in the manual is to protect the manufacturer, not you.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Roemer
    Options
    With my current set up, where is the danger zone with the volume? Any ideas?
    My current setup:
  • Nightfall
    Options
    When the stage and images collapse it's clipping. Also starts sounding shrill and fatiguing.

• Roemer
    Options
    Switched it back to 8 ohm. Not sure I notice a difference though.

Leaning towards buying an external amplifier in the near future... till then, sticking with the AVR
    My current setup:
  • Roemer
    Options
    jx3sx8qndshb.jpg

Probably could use some more spacing but I have a small living room. Thanks again for everyone's input.
    My current setup:
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Spacing may be a tad on the wide side?? How far apart are they??
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Nightfall
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Yeah, quite the opposite. They look too far apart. How far away from them are you sitting?

Where did you hide the speaker wire and SDA interconnect?

• Roemer
    Options
    About 8' 8" apart

Sitting 9' away
    My current setup:
  • Roemer
    Options
    Speaker wire and interconnect cable I hid behind the floor trim
    My current setup:
  • Roemer
    Options
    nbmwdomkae56.jpg

I'll probably experiment with moving them closer together this weekend
    My current setup:
  • Roemer
    Options
    mhkclhf59yjg.jpg

Since I have a small living room and am sitting approximately 10 feet away, I took the lesser recommendation from the manual of optimum distance between the speakers and moved them exactly 6 feet apart from one another. Previously they were 8 feet 9 inches apart from one another. I kind of like the way they looked spread farther apart but if I get better sound moved closer together, I will leave them. Time will tell I guess.
    My current setup:
  • Roemer
    Options
    Any thoughts on adding Polk TL3 satellite rears and center to my current set up? Found a good deal on craigslist and thinking about it...
    My current setup:
  • Roemer
    Options
    Also, any input on a Phase Linear 400 amplifier? Good or bad choice for my SDA's?
    My current setup:
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    6 feet apart looks better and should sound better.

Bad choice.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Schurkey
    Options
    I've heard good things about the company that designed a set of mods for the Flame Linear amps.

http://www.whiteoakaudio.com/

Note that I've never seen or heard a White Oak Phase Linear in person.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    Schurkey wrote: »
    WHAT does this "switch" do? What does it change inside the receiver?

Yamaha has an impedance-matching switch that strangles the power supply in the "low-impedance" position. It's cheaper to install a switch than to provide adequate copper in the transformer, enough output devices and appropriate heat-sinking. The ONLY reason the switch exists is so that Yammie can claim 4-ohm impedance compatibility when they cut costs and under-engineered the thing.

Discussing Yamaha's cost-cutting in the comments section of that article had the effect of getting me removed from Audioholics.com. I reminded the owner/operator of his years-earlier article where he called-out manufacturers that "cheated" the FTC specs like Yammie does. By the time he was "reviewing" the Yammie, he'd drunk the kool-aid and objected to being reminded of his previous position. His review suggested ignoring the operating instructions and just running the Yammie in "high-impedance--8-ohm" mode regardless of speaker impedance, so the power supply didn't get choked. I noticed that my page-loading speed on that site turned to shiit instantly afterwards. Other members insinuated that was payback for disagreeing with The Boss. I haven't signed-in there since.

Many home users, do not allow adequate ventilation and/or sit other items or components on top of an AVR, creating an overheating condition that U.L. considers as part of it's current home AVR testing.
    The 6 ohm setting factors in those conditions and acts as a safeguard in settings where the user is unaware or disregards proper ventilation.
    Most users never use 4 ohm speakers, and a large percentage never run most AVR's with full range speakers, and instead cross over to a subwoofer for bass.

They are designed with all of that in mind, but not designed for the 10% that may run full range 4 ohm speakers regularly.
    So, not sure it is cost "Cutting", but merely making what the majority of users will need or want.
  • Schurkey
    Options
    K_M wrote: »
    Many home users, do not allow adequate ventilation and/or sit other items or components on top of an AVR, creating an overheating condition that U.L. considers as part of it's current home AVR testing.
    The 6 ohm setting factors in those conditions and acts as a safeguard in settings where the user is unaware or disregards proper ventilation.
    Most users never use 4 ohm speakers, and a large percentage never run most AVR's with full range speakers, and instead cross over to a subwoofer for bass.

They are designed with all of that in mind, but not designed for the 10% that may run full range 4 ohm speakers regularly.
    So, not sure it is cost "Cutting", but merely making what the majority of users will need or want.
    Never in the entire history of Hi-Fi have more speaker models had ~4-ohm (or lower) rated impedance, and never have higher numbers of 4-ohm speakers been sold. Low-impedance speakers have NEVER been more popular.

Producing a receiver that can't meet the FTC testing protocol for 4-ohm loads is flat-out irresponsible in an age of low-impedance speakers. I won't make excuses for companies that strangle the power supply in order to pass consumer-safety testing.
  • Nightfall
    Options
    10% is a stretch I think.

• jpm97045
    jpm97045 Posts: 1
    Options
    Try a used receiver from around the 70's or 80's. I run my SDA1a pair from a Harmon Kardon receiver from the late 80's (HK495i). They built them with a high current capability in those days and it handles the Polks just fine. Mine is nominally 45 watts into 8 ohms but has an instantaneous current capability of 18 amps. With the high efficiency of the Polks, it will probably do you okay. Just stay away from overdriving the amplifier.

With regard to the Phase Linear 400, I had a PL700 that I used on some Advents back in the late 70's, used the preamp output from my Harmon Kardon HK930 for input. While the Phase Linear was a pretty powerful amp, it wasn't as clean sounding as the amp on my HK930, so I eventually sold it and just used the receiver's amp. The Phase Linear can handle a low impedance load, however - the PL factory had a 400 driving about 16 speakers. It produced a comfortable sound level for work while still being able to hear someone talk.