In-wall alternative equal to Monitor 75T?

Options
PH_Graphics
PH_Graphics Posts: 1
edited January 2017 in 2 Channel Audio
I currently use Monitor 75T's in my living/dining room stereo setup, powered by a Yamaha Avantage A1030 receiver. We are remodeling, and with the new furniture arrangement there will be literally NO place for the 75t's. The room has a cathedral ceiling with a maximum height of roughly 12 feet. My only 2 options are: first, cut two holes in the highest wall (there are closets on the other side), build 2 sealed enclosures and put the 75T's in those enclosures, aiming downward toward the middle of the living room (roughly 14" wide and 22' long relative to the speakers). The center of the 75T's would be about 9' above the living room floor. Second, put in-wall speakers in that same wall. I could get the center of the in-walls down to around 7' off the floor. My main issue is sound quality. Are there in-walls that can match the sound from the 75T's? The current top of the line looks to be the 265RT, but looking at the speaker and the specs I can't imagine the sound from those would come near the current speakers. Polk's eBay store does have a LCi RTS105, which looks to be a nice speaker, but they only have 1, and with only 3 drivers I'm not certain it would be as good as the 75T. I have found online a pair of MartinLogan Edge for about $2,100. The reviews indicate that speaker would likely be a step up from the 75T, but at $2,100 that's also a BIG jump in price. Has anyone else switched from a good floorstanding speaker to an in-wall with little or no loss in overall sound quality. HT is not an issue here; this will be stereo-only.

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I think your issue with in-walls is going to be the height of the those fronts. In a room with high ceilings yet, your sound may get an echo effect. I don't imagine you have room for a subwoofer either ? A picture of what you have to work with would help. The other alternative is to go with in-ceiling speakers so the sound shoots down at you.

Quality in-walls that match the sound of floor standing speakers won't be cheap. Legacy audio makes some super nice in walls but again, not cheap. Is there anyway to reconfigure the room or move to another room in the house ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Montoya
    Montoya Posts: 506
    Options
    Look at the Monitor audio lineup they make some excellent in-walls and in ceiling speakers. If you go that route let me know I'm a dealer. Been a member here for a long time also bought and sold plenty just don't post much.