Adcom popping

Options
Borrowed a friends adcom 545 just to get a sense of what adding a power amp would do for my system knowing the wpc was similar to my yamaha rx-a1060 with 110 and Adcom 100. The sound was good but I will get a something with more power.

However switching sources there was a popping sound. This occured with volume down and even when I engaged the mute button.

I don't think this is normal and wanted to know if this is a compatability issue with my avr or isolated and common with old adcom gear.

Thanks,
RB
Living Room
Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Oppo 103D, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, KLH Model 5s, Polk CSi A6, Samsung 65" LED

Office
Yamaha A-S501, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    If memory serves, I believe it was fairly common with old Adcom amps. They didn't have the protection circuits more modern gear has.

If the pop is only when switching sources, usually it's more like a click than a pop. Just to be straight though, when you switch sources it's from the AVR's remote right ? Your not actually switching cables with the amp powered on I hope.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rburgess714
    Options
    I am making source changes via the remote and when I hit mute thinking the switching will not be amplified it is stil heard.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Oppo 103D, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, KLH Model 5s, Polk CSi A6, Samsung 65" LED

Office

• dalylaleahthor
    Options
    I have a 545 an never had an issue when switching between input. I had it on a Denon 3808ci so I don't know If that makes any difference.
    Epson 3020 projector. Da Lite screen. Oppo 103. Yamaha CXA5000. B&K 7250ii. HSU VTF2. Def Tech Supercube 4000. Polk Rtia9 CsiA6 FxiA6. Monster hts 2600. Home theater.

Bedroom consist of NHT model 2 powered by Parasound hca1200ii coming from my computer.

Stuff laying around. Too much to list but don't want to sell either.
  • tonyb
    Options
    I am making source changes via the remote and when I hit mute thinking the switching will not be amplified it is stil heard.

Could be a few different issues going on. Have you tried using different RCA cables between the receiver and amp ? Power cord isn't worn or cracked....if so change that. Any ground loop hum in your system ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Not unusual with the older Adcom GFA amps since they are direct coupled. Whether it happens or not seems to be related to what the receiver does to the outputs when switching sources. Some mute them briefly which seems to cause the pops. Maybe someone with more technical prowess than me can explain. Annoying, but not damaging.
  • rburgess714
    Options
    I have not tried different cables but did think that due to muting while switching could be the culprit? Or perhaps since it is plugged into a separate surge protected power strip that it may have something to do with how it's grounded.

Like I said I borrowed this amp just to see what it would do for sq as I am looking to purchase a used adcom, b&k or parrasound.

If this a characteristic of adcom I may rule them out but curious if this would be the case for b&k and parasound?
    Living Room

Office

• tonyb
    Options
    Plug the amp directly into the wall outlet. Those cheap power strips are not doing you any favors.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's