RTA-15TL Tweeter

Are these tweeters available and if they are cost with shipping information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• F1nutF1nut Posts: 37,668
    CALL Polk customer service on Monday. Order two of the RD0198-1.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• NightfallNightfall Posts: 6,911
    Apparently the RTA-15TL's have the tweeters crossed over too low, there's a mod someone here came up with to remedy that so you'll not kill tweeters as easy on those. Decato? Degato? I can't remember, just a sec.
    | Front - Dynaudio Emit M20 | Center - N/A | Rear - Polk Monitor 4 | Sub - N/A |
    | AVR - Yamaha Aventage RX-A1020 | Preamp - Dared MC-7P | Amp - B&K Reference 4420 |
    | Turntable - Yamaha PX-3 | Cartridge - Dynavector DV-20X2H | Digital Source - AURALiC Aries Mini |
    | TV - LG 60" 4K | Gaming - Xbox One - PS3 - New 3DS XL - Nvidia Shield TV |

This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality
    Embrace this moment, remember, we are eternal
    All this pain is an illusion
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 6,911
    | Front - Dynaudio Emit M20 | Center - N/A | Rear - Polk Monitor 4 | Sub - N/A |
    | AVR - Yamaha Aventage RX-A1020 | Preamp - Dared MC-7P | Amp - B&K Reference 4420 |
    | Turntable - Yamaha PX-3 | Cartridge - Dynavector DV-20X2H | Digital Source - AURALiC Aries Mini |
    | TV - LG 60" 4K | Gaming - Xbox One - PS3 - New 3DS XL - Nvidia Shield TV |

This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality
    Embrace this moment, remember, we are eternal
    All this pain is an illusion
  • RicardoRicardo Posts: 10,464
    And that right there will bring your 15tls to a whole new level. Add Larry's rings and you'll have one of the best sounding speakers Polk ever made.

Maybe I'm biased....

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • K_MK_M Posts: 890
    edited January 22
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Apparently the RTA-15TL's have the tweeters crossed over too low, there's a mod someone here came up with to remedy that so you'll not kill tweeters as easy on those. Decato? Degato? I can't remember, just a sec.

This is an interesting idea and read, but got me thinking of a few things.

1. Why were Polk's engineers not able to realize this "issue", but the forum member mentioned was able to?
    2. The issue noticed by the forum member, was using 15 or 16 year old caps, as his baseline. Any new cap could drastically change the "sound", as the original caps were most likely not good anymore.
    3. Why this issue was not noticed, on several other models, that use similar or the same crossovers, and tweeters.
    4. His modifications were not based on actual measured responses of the drivers in question, but simply based on assumed impedance values, not measured impedances.

Still interesting though.
    Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4,SDA 3.1TL, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-
    Epos-
    Infinity-
    Advent-

• tomb57tomb57 Posts: 4
    K_M wrote: »

1. Why were Polk's engineers not able to realize this "issue", but the forum member mentioned was able to?
    2. The issue noticed by the forum member, was using 15 or 16 year old caps, as his baseline. Any new cap could drastically change the "sound", as the original caps were most likely not good anymore.
    3. Why this issue was not noticed, on several other models, that use similar or the same crossovers, and tweeters.
    4. His modifications were not based on actual measured responses of the drivers in question, but simply based on assumed impedance values, not measured impedances.

My thoughts exactly

Tom

For the same reason the Polk engineers were not able to realize the issue of the SL2000's 5dB spike. Oh wait they did realize it, but decided to go with it anyway.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 13,198
    Are you sure you aren't tripping the polyswitches? I can hear mine cut in and out.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Usher: CP-6311, Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Fiesole, Volterra, Polk: T50, Signature S60, S55, S35, S30, S20, S15, RTA 15tl, Sonner Audio Allegro Unum
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Dayens Ampino, Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, AURALiC Altair, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design Magnifico, North Star Design Supremo
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
    F1nut wrote: »

For the same reason the Polk engineers were not able to realize the issue of the SL2000's 5dB spike. Oh wait they did realize it, but decided to go with it anyway.

You missed the sarcasm obviously. The guy that mentioned the mods to the Rta15, was making mods based on wrong information. That was the point.

The Polk engineers did know what they were doing with the Rta15 tweeter and crossover. Member Decato was just guessing.
    Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4,SDA 3.1TL, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-
    Epos-
    Infinity-
    Advent-

• heiney9heiney9 Posts: 23,417

Many, many things are re-engineered 20-30 years later by tinkerer's. Bean counters and lack of materials is usually the reason. All designs are compromises. 20-30 years later many times the compromises can be fixed or atleast updated.

This is a very normal life cycle for a myriad of products that are older. As technology gets better, costs come down........it's natural to want to "improve" old things sometimes, even if they were cutting edge in their day.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Plus DAC | MIT Shotgun S3 | MIT Z P/C's | updated SDA 1C| SQ Box Touch/Welbourne Labs P/S- Tubes add soul!
    edited April 26
    heiney9 wrote: »

Many, many things are re-engineered 20-30 years later by tinkerer's. Bean counters and lack of materials is usually the reason. All designs are compromises. 20-30 years later many times the compromises can be fixed or atleast updated.

This is a very normal life cycle for a myriad of products that are older. As technology gets better, costs come down........it's natural to want to "improve" old things sometimes, even if they were cutting edge in their day.

H9

Uh no. The guy with that mod thread, based all his mods off of things he assumed were true. He even said he was only making assumptions. Simply guessing.

He did not measure the impedance or frequency response of the speakers he was using, but guessed at what they might be......

That alone is the reason it most likely was not done by Polk.

Polk engineers for sure measured the response and impedance and designed a crossover taking all of those things into the calculation.
    His changes were made based on using very old caps that most likely were bad, and assumptions that were never verified.

B+W-
    Epos-
    Infinity-
    Advent-

Brian (Decato) did take measurements and posted charts in his thread.

F1nut wrote: »
    Brian (Decato) did take measurements and posted charts in his thread.

I will go back and look again, when I have time. I remember reading him saying he was kinda guessing, and saying he did not measure impedance or response.

Was it later in the thread? in the beginning he admitted he was kinda guessing.

Im not bashing him or his work it seems reasonable, but perhaps not totally necessary for "sure" is all.
    B+W-
    Epos-
    Infinity-
    Advent-