Best pair of FULL (extended bass) range speakers under $1000 or less.

Options
pkquat
pkquat Posts: 742
I'm curious on thoughts and opinions for a pair of full range, no sub required, speakers that still have good tight bass, and reach below 30Hz. They still need to have a great midrange and highs along with imagining. A 150W amp should do fine, and they should not need more than a 250W. Used is fine, provided crossover upgrade costs are considered. A midgrade "economy" crossover upgrade can be used.

For reference I have some SDA 1C's and RTA11's. IMO these are close to full range, and probably meet most definitions. The best I've heard so far were a pair of B&W's a few years ago, I think 800's, and they were well over $1K a pair. A long time ago I heard some 801's. They brought new meaning the 1812 overture, and just about everything.

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    edited January 2017
    Options
    "Best" is a subjective term. The 1C's are good down to 20Hz (+/- 5dB).

I'd say the issue is more with the room interaction and then the gear and source material. Factor in room size and you have quite a few variables that aren't related to the speaker physically and associated specs.

SDA 1C's seems to check all the boxes you outline. But, maybe you are looking for a different presentation. I have 1C's and can assure you they hit low when the source material is present.

At $1K I assume you mean used as to get a new pair for $1K would be hard, very hard.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    Options
    Tuning and treating the room you have now would do wonders. I make the assumption you haven't treated the room to get the max from the 1C's in the bass department.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • pkquat
    Options
    I am asking in general, and not looking to replace them. I'm more wondering what is out there without going to a 2.1 or 2.2 setup, unless the 2.2 is part of the complete speaker. They don't have to be Polks.

I've heard 1'Cs in a larger ~15 x ~25ft room with decent dampening. They sounded better there than my current location which does have issues, but I have heard other speakers that have more impact down deep. Its a general question for a room with minimal issues.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Not long ago, I saw a set of Legacy Audio Signature III's for $900. Something like that (Large Older speakers) is what you are after given the budget. However, like DSkip said, a set of bookshelf speakers and a sub or two might do it. Imagine a set of the LSiM703's and a used 12"-15" sub like the HSU ULS, SVS SB models, etc.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • heiney9
    Options
    20Hz with a single 7" driver? That's impressive. Actually very impressive.
  • heiney9
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I found this in a review. Not saying they aren't a great speaker. They get great reviews. I have nothing but respect for Joe D'Apollito.

Frequency response is stated by the
    manufacture at (-3db) 34 Hz to 28 kHz.
    The in room response on the
    speakers was amazingly consistent from 20 kHz all
    the way down to 40Hz. There was a slight drop out
    between 125Hz and 80 Hz, and by slight I mean a 1-
    dB drop off. It was not noticeable in the listening tests
    but the measurements showed it. There was a 5-dB
    drop off at 31Hz. After that it became rather steep
    down to 20Hz.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Options
    Those Usher's are a very interesting looking speaker. Wouldn;t mind giving them a shot at their relatively low price on the used market
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • heiney9
    edited January 2017
    Options
    They seem to be really well liked and reviewed and they really took a hit on the used market. I don't know the relative age, but certainly are worth investigating regardless of whether they hit low enough for the op or not.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Do you listen to a lot of classical? Would it be better to have the bass completely under control to say 40 hz? :*
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Full range is technically 20 hz on the low side, you need some big speakers to move that air without a subwoofer. Plus your in room response is never going to be what the response is listed as in specs. Under 1000 bucks is hard to find even used. Older SDA's maybe...Carver Amazings. Around 15-1800 used Legacy Focus 20/20's should be on your radar for full range floor standers for not a lot of coin.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well, the low E on a piano is 27 hz. what are you hearing below that?
    Seems to me it would be aaa, sympathetic vibration of the speaker,
    room, ect.

Just wondering what the OP is going for. As DSkip stated, you might
    be better off w/ a speaker that has complete control of the frequency
    down to say 40 hz and leave the rest to a subwoofer. (for say R&R)
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    What size is the room the SDA 1Cs are in now? If they sound better in a larger room it is possible they are overloading the current room with bass. Other speakers would likely have similar issues? I would suggest a pair of SRS 2.3TLs, but if bass loading is an issue those would be even more problematic.

I have had good luck with large monitor speakers like the LSiM703 and a smallish sealed subwoofer like the SVS SB2000 in a smaller listening space. I also like Spendor speakers for classical music, but again with a sealed subwoofer in the mix.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    My 2 cents,

I had a good listen on the S60 the other day, Receiver used was a low end Onkyo. They put out some nice deep bass and sounded fantastic without a sub.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Energy Reference Connoisseur 70 speakers. They are rated to 26 Hz in room frequency response on the spec sheet. Having owned them, they do put out a lot of bass and the investment for a pair is very modest. They are a 3-way speaker design with a separate tweeter, separate midrange, & dual woofers.

I also want to direct you to the Von Schweikert VR2 floorstanding loudspeakers which have a tweeter, midbass/woofer, and woofer and a rear firing ambiance driver housed in a transmission line enclosure rated 25Hz to 25kHz from VSA. Truly amazing speakers & the low levels these speakers achieve were spectacular (I owned these as well). I don't see these on the used market often but they are very close to the price range given what I paid for a preowned pair in '06.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • WTS
    WTS Posts: 170
    Options

I think you meant low A. (Typo?)

Pipe organs go down that low and lower, as well as some electronic music and Bosendorfer pianos. Plus there may be difference tones to reproduce.
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Options
    For my digital music I'm using the 703's with my SVS sub. Fills the room and sounds great.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • pkquat
    Options
    Thanks, I'm getting some good information. This thread was only for information, possibly invistigation, and very unlikely for buying. Pretend the room is perfect or you heard them do well in a less than perfect room. Full range speakers are ones that do not need a sub for most listening,. They were designed to do well for the full range at a decent listening level, eminating from the same location, and blend well with each other. I put the tight bass, and more audiophile sound requirements because there all plenty of "thumping" speakers out there with 15" woofers etc. Often for the price, the bass is muddy, can be boomy, and the rest of the range is a bit of a mess. They do well playing few note, thumping techno, all day, but fail with more complex music. Some models of Cerwin Vega's come to mind.

I'm just wondering what exists. Is there something remotely close too a poor mans B & W 800's or 801's? May be $1000 is too low.

I've been interested in transmission line speakers. I've heard good things when they are done well, but I have not personally heard any.

I haven't listened to Theils recently, and don't know their larger models. The ones I heard had great sound and imaging, but any similar sized polk beat them handily on the bottom end.

IMO the 1C's and RTA11's do very well for good qualiry sound for the price. Although I am noticing the RTA11's to break up some when pushed.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,338
    Options
    When i saw tbe title my first thought was RTA11TL. I have had no break up issue with mine and prefer the bass well over my LSi15 even with the DB840 upgrade.

Are you sure you don't have a problem with the RTA11? Air leak? Detached spyder?
    Stan
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,326
    Options
    I currently own infinity Kappa 9s, SDA SRS, Carver Amazings, Klipsch LaScalas, and some other smaller stuff. However, nothing comes close to the overall balance (and deep, effortless bass) of my latest acquisition - Legacy Focus 20/20 pair. Got mine for $1,500 in superb shape. If I were you, I'd give them a listen, and then save another $500...
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    pkquat wrote: »
    IMO the 1C's and RTA11's do very well for good qualiry sound for the price. Although I am noticing the RTA11's to break up some when pushed.

When a speaker starts to break up some when pushed, it's not always the speaker. Sometimes that's an indication that your upstream electronics and cabling are sub-par.

Daddyjt,

Have the same speakers and they do bass about as well as anything I've heard. Feed them well with good electronics and clean power and for the 1500 bucks they cost you, you'll be hard pressed to keep looking for more speakers. A good all around speaker for any genre of music with dynamics up the a$$.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    my bad yes. That is why I was asking what kind of music the OP
    listens to. He got some very good suggestions regardless.
    WTS wrote: »

I think you meant low A. (Typo?)

Pipe organs go down that low and lower, as well as some electronic music and Bosendorfer pianos. Plus there may be difference tones to reproduce.

• pkquat
    Options
    Thanks for all the info. I'll definitely put the legacy focus 20/20, and the legacy series on my radar, at least for a listen. Same with the Von Schweikert VR2, more out of curiosity though. I'm not sure if the VR-2 are the same ones I heard about having phenomenal bass, but only for moderate listening levels. I've been interested in hearing Ushers as well. I have a feeling they will be similar to my Newform Research R830's. They have a similar sized ported bass box with an 8" peerless woofer. The bass is suprisingly deep and very tight to keep up with the ribbon, although they later switched to 1 or 2 7" Scanpeak drivers for even faster response.

@skrol one of the spiders was detached, but I have fixed that for the most part. It was noticeable. I listened more to the good speaker to be sure. The crossover does need a rebuilding, but even so, I noticed a difference in the upper range when they are pushed vs a more moderate level. The MW are not bottoming either. RUSH Clockwork Angels, Track 4 is a good one, about 1 minute in. I think it is just asking too much of the MW. I noticed something similar but much less pronounced with some of the listings in the bass tracks thread, i.e. TELARC Time Warp, Star Tracks, Star Trek.
    What are the damping upgrades for the RTA11?

@rednedtugent I listen to a WIDE range and do like to do some fine listening, but the majority is rock. Oddly years ago I heard some later model Klipsch that had amazing bass. I think they had 2 12" woofers. Organ music sounded amazing on them, that was about it. That and RAP. The bass was not tight at all.
  • zarrdoss
    zarrdoss Posts: 2,562
    edited January 2017
    Options
    My NHT 3.3's go down to 23hz and I feel no need for an sub when used with my Bryston 4B ST. And that's coming from someone who is addicted to bass. Can be found for 1k used. Out of all the speakers I have owned SDA's included I like them the best, especially for good clean accurate bass.
  • WLDock
    Options
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • WLDock
    Options
    Yes, it seems some talk of clarity loss with the additional mid. They all seem to make good low end. Would love to hear all of them side by side.....then the Dancer series to compare. Just nice speakers all around.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited January 2017
    Options

We own the RTa11's along with a few other Polk models from back then, and honestly the Rta11 while nice, does not even begin to compare to even an average subwoofer as far as bass deepness and ability to not be overloaded.

(2) 6.5" woofers are just never gonna equal a good 10" or 12" dedicated sub.

The Rta11 will go somewhat deep, but play something with a lot of loud deep bass and it runs out of excursion very easily.
    Even our bigger SDA speakers while they do deep bass nicely, simply are not comparable to our decent subs.
    Its like they become muddy, and overload far easier than a good sub.

Not knocking on them but, to do Deep and loud, you need Big size woofers and lots of excursion.
  • pkquat
    Options
    K_M wrote: »

Its like they become muddy, and overload far easier than a good sub.

Not knocking on them but, to do Deep and loud, you need Big size woofers and lots of excursion.
    This confirms what I thought. The saying "There's no replacement for displacement" fits for speakers too. Finding good tight bass that doesn't lag the upper frequencies is tough, as is sub placement.

D2Lo wrote: »
    ahem, may I suggest:
    Which DT speakers are you referring to? The BP9020 only have an 8" sub. I haven't heard them, so I might be surprised. I have not been a fan of the BP sound in the past. At times they can have what I call that "Bose" room filling sound, that can help liven some recordings, but can also add artifacts.