House of Marley Stir it Up Turntable

Options
2»

Comments

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I'm guessing that you didn't increase the tracking force per se, but rather had to crank the counterweight further "in" (towards the pivot) to balance the new cart's lower weight & thence dial in the tracking force(?)
    Precisely :smile:
    Not quite trivial, since the AT100E should, I think, be tracked considerably lighter than the AT3600L. A-T sez:

AT3600L 0.6 mil conical; 2.5 to 3.5 g VTF
    AT100E 0.3 x 0.7 mil elliptical; 1.0 to 1.8 g VTF
    Yes, that's correct.
    In 1950s broadcast studios, my father said the DJs would put a "Zippo lighter" on the head of the Gray arms they used so that the stylus would plow through any 'stuck groove' :) Srsly.
    I guess a quarter is not enough? lol. Maybe a fifty cent piece?

Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,030
    Options
    Might have to use one of them Canuck Loonies or even a Twonie ;)
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Oh, by the way -- does it sound better? :)
    Hope so (it probably shoud).

PS this thread motivated me to fire up the ol' SL-Q2/DL-103, via the JLtI preamp and the visiting Pass "Amp Camp Amp", and spin a copy (of unknown provenance, actually) of the Beatles' Revolver on the late 60s green colored Capitol label == and it is sounding fine through the Franken-Duplexes as I type this.

EDIT: Sorry for a brief hijack/detour -- just wanted to photo-document the grotesquely ugly Capitol label in question, for posterity :neutral:

I've only got a couple LPs with these labels -- and I really, truly don't know where this one came from. It sounds good, though, fortunately. Not Polydor-mono good... but good.

32343957263_e631eab6b9_b.jpgDSC_7241 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • halo
    Options
    Oh, by the way -- does it sound better? :)
    Hope so (it probably shoud).

I'm playing a variety of records and trying to compare based on audio memory; so far I like it :smile:
    PS this thread motivated me to fire up the ol' SL-Q2/DL-103, via the JLtI preamp and the visiting Pass "Amp Camp Amp", and spin a copy (of unknown provenance, actually) of the Beatles' Revolver on the late 60s green colored Capitol label == and it is sounding fine through the Franken-Duplexes as I type this.
    That's is very B)
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • halo
    Options
    So, the AT100E did not work out as, I believe, it was defective. Therefore, I decided to try out the AT95E instead and, thankfully, it's working beautifully with no issues. However, installing cartridges on a fixed headshell (does not remove from the tonearm) is quite challenging. We won't be changing cartridges on this turntable again. I'd rather buy a different table with a removable headshell. YMMV.

I also picked up a record clamp from Clear Audio and it's just a piece of plastic but it appears to help level out the records with the most wobble to them.

33342713546_045fe52944_b.jpg
    33255542061_29b65c6b34_b.jpg32540539214_20d6f4b05a_b.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I like the CA "Clever Little Clamp". My Marantz TT-15S1 came with one. Put that tt back in its box & packed it away (it looks nice but it's pretty mediocre otherwise; not the best investment I ever made) -- but I still use the clamp :)

24216429785_2ef0ace7e3_b.jpgDSC_2464 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • halo
    Options
    I like the CA "Clever Little Clamp". My Marantz TT-15S1 came with one. Put that tt back in its box & packed it away (it looks nice but it's pretty mediocre otherwise; not the best investment I ever made) -- but I still use the clamp :)

That's a good looking Technics tt! :smile:
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    @halo isn't the only way to align a cartridge would be to have it attached to the arm, whether removable or not? Maybe I'm not getting it? My understanding is removable head shells are convenient for those that like to swap cartridges in and out on the regular.

The alignment time on my project carbon arm is about 15 minutes using my DBP-10 cartridge alignment tool, with an led pen light mounted in my mouth :smile:
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• halo
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    @halo isn't the only way to align a cartridge would be to have it attached to the arm, whether removable or not? Maybe I'm not getting it? My understanding is removable head shells are convenient for those that like to swap cartridges in and out on the regular.

The alignment time on my project carbon arm is about 15 minutes using my DBP-10 cartridge alignment tool, with an led pen light mounted in my mouth :smile:

Well, because the headshell is fixed - permanently attached to the tonearm - it makes it a real bear to get the new cartridge attached to the headshell. It's easier if the headshell is detachable because you can maneuver it any which way you like but the fixed headshell makes you work in an unnatural and awkward manner. Does that make more sense? Basically, we were working against gravity by mounting the new cartridge from the bottom up instead of being able to flip the headshell over and secure the nuts & bolts.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    halo wrote: »
    mikeyb128 wrote: »

Well, because the headshell is fixed - permanently attached to the tonearm - it makes it a real bear to get the new cartridge attached to the headshell. It's easier if the headshell is detachable because you can maneuver it any which way you like but the fixed headshell makes you work in an unnatural and awkward manner. Does that make more sense? Basically, we were working against gravity by mounting the new cartridge from the bottom up instead of being able to flip the headshell over and secure the nuts & bolts.

Ah I see.. got it. I guess that could be a pain. I try to refrain from too many coffees before a procedure such as that. Haha
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• halo
    Options
    Yes, but too much coffee wasn't an issue. lol. We used a rubber band to "secure" the cartridge to the headshell after all the wires were connected and then began the arduous task of threading the tiny nuts on the tiny bolts/screws to secure the cartridge to the headshell. Luckily, we checked the alignment on the protractor and it was spot on.

All I had to do after the alignment was set was zero the tonearm, set the tracking force, set the anti skate, grab an album and check things out. All good. :smile:
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    I find installing a cartridge to be infuriating. Not every time, sometimes it's only mildly aggravating.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mhardy6647
    Options

That's a good looking Technics tt! :smile:

Dump find :)
    Had an Acutex cartridge when I found it -- which I swapped for a DL-103 a few years back.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Yes, but too much coffee wasn't an issue. lol. We used a rubber band to "secure" the cartridge to the headshell after all the wires were connected and then began the arduous task of threading the tiny nuts on the tiny bolts/screws to secure the cartridge to the headshell. Luckily, we checked the alignment on the protractor and it was spot on.

All I had to do after the alignment was set was zero the tonearm, set the tracking force, set the anti skate, grab an album and check things out. All good. :smile:

ooh, oooh, I know what you need! You need some hemostats! To hold your nuts. (umm, your cartridge installation nuts). Errrm, did I promise you some clipleads? I did, didn't I? :blush: