My buddy wants a new 55-65" Sony TV

Options
What's the best deal out there for a Sony 55-65" TV? He wants to spend in the neighborhood of a grand up to $1250. He is somewhat reluctant to buy a TV from the net, that's just him... He likes BB. Lol. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    BB has the Sony 850c or d for around that price IN A 55 incher. 65 inches new is more money, don't go with the cheaper models just to get a bigger screen.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    Thanks. He said he was looking at a 65" Sony that was retail about $1750 but marked down to $1250 or so for Super Bowl special. Would it make sense that it could have been a 65" 850 C or D at that price point? He said he didn't catch the model but will be going back to check it out more. Thanks again for your help.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Options
    I'd go for an 850D. The 55 inch model is $999 and the 65 inch model is $1399 now.

There's also a 750D which seems to be a few months newer and has a different stand. I'm not sure what the difference is between that model and an 850D other than that, but they are a bit less expensive.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Bought my last tv about 5 years ago. Started looking about this time of year. Ran into the Panny rep, and he told me to wait until the weekend after the super bowl. He told me the manufacturers bring out the new models in March, so BB had to make room to display the new models.

Anyway, got mine for 60% off msrp.

Like I said this was 5 years ago, and it may be different now.
  • dromunds
    Options
    Thanks fellas!
  • Emlyn
    Options
    I think the market is the same. Sony reducing their price on their 850 line usually means they are clearing out for a new model in the Spring. Amazing how the prices keep coming down on new models with more features.
  • dromunds
    Options
  • tonyb
    Options
    All good suggestions, but as far as model numbers go for Sony, don't go any less than the 850's....anything higher is just gravy.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Emlyn
    Options
    I would recommend checking Best Buy's online pricing while in the store if there's a decision to buy. Sometimes in my experience their in-store pricing system is not exactly in synch with their online pricing but they should be the same. They also have a price guarantee, but pricing on Sony TV sets is usually fixed.

I have purchased every TV I've got for the last 15 years or so from Best Buy. Only had one problem with the last set I bought where the online deal said free delivery AND SETUP was included but the in-store purchase apparently didn't include setup with the free delivery. Setup was supposed to be taking the TV out of the box, attaching the stand, putting it on a cabinet, and taking the monster box away. The sales guy came by the house to put the TV on the stand anyway, so no big deal.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,092
    Options
    I have a 70" 850b I picked up new open box for 1600... The 850 series is a great tv for the money
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • dromunds
    Options
    Thanks guys, my buddy went back to BB and confirmed he had indeed been looking at a 65" 850D. Looks like he'll get it.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Good choice man, it's a nice set with excellent picture.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    Good choice man, it's a nice set with excellent picture.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's