I believe in magic

Options
Willow
Willow Posts: 10,871
Cambridge audio dacmagic100 that is. I had a limited amount of time to hook it up and give it a go. I hit play to whichever cd was in my rotel dvd/cdp. It was classical music. A string quartet. It was obvious right off the bat, I didn't even have time to stand up and it blew me away. Notes and nuances, clean and crisp articulated notes. Played one piece. Next was 2 songs by Ben harper. I couldn't get into it because my daughter was asking me lots of questions. But I believe in an external dac now. I'll be doing more listening over the weekend and I'll post my findings.

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    The Dacmagic plus is even better :smiley:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Willow
    Options
    Woa.. I just picked this up today. Let me get my feet wet....
  • Willow
    Options
    I'm just blown away.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    I've been meaning to get something like that into my 2ch rig forever, but always thought the Duet sounded ok on its own. Now I may just have to actively start looking... dammit.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    Glad to hear your liking it I was considering one and almost got one but now saving my pennies for a Jolida glass fx DAC, I've heard good things about that Cambridge enjoy. from the pennies I've been saving I just bought a Chromecast audio puck hooked it up via optical to the Oppo 105 DAC then bought a Samsung Tab A 8 to use for Tidal let's just say it sounds pretty darn good so yeah new toys are pretty cool addicting hobby this one is.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Yo Steve! Iowa trip is coming up. I'll have to see what got thrown out of the basement stash. ;)
  • Willow
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Glad to hear your liking it I was considering one and almost got one but now saving my pennies for a Jolida glass fx DAC, I've heard good things about that Cambridge enjoy. from the pennies I've been saving I just bought a Chromecast audio puck hooked it up via optical to the Oppo 105 DAC then bought a Samsung Tab A 8 to use for Tidal let's just say it sounds pretty darn good so yeah new toys are pretty cool addicting hobby this one is.

Ill be going that route too. I'll be picking up a cc audio. Right now it's just my rotel dvd which is strictly being used as a cdp hooked up to it.
    I'm sure in the future I'll be trying another one out considering the difference I heard last night.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Hearing is believing, problem with that is once you hear what a good dac can bring to the table for you.....you start looking through couch cushions for money.

One upgrade begets another, and the rabbit hole gets wider. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Willow
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Hearing is believing, problem with that is once you hear what a good dac can bring to the table for you.....you start looking through couch cushions for money.

Tell me about it. But remember I've been banned from buying stuff. I have to keep it small and very low profile.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    Willow wrote: »

Tell me about it. But remember I've been banned from buying stuff. I have to keep it small and very low profile.

Smaller/lower profile usually costs more...
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • tonyb
    Options

Join the club. Usually I approach new purchases with the selling point of...."But I sold xyz to pay for most of it".

When coinage is scarce, you have to sell something to buy something to keep the powers at be from putting a pillow over your head while you sleep.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Willow
    Options

Join the club. Usually I approach new purchases with the selling point of...."But I sold xyz to pay for most of it".

When coinage is scarce, you have to sell something to buy something to keep the powers at be from putting a pillow over your head while you sleep.

She already wants to do that literally because of recent snoring...

• Willow
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »

Smaller/lower profile usually costs more...

That's why the dac magic was easy to sneak in. ;)
  • mrbiron
    Options

We sleep head to toe in my house.
    The DacMagic was my fore into the world of dacs. I enjoyed it.
    Can you add the aftermarket Pangea power supply to yours as well?
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options

I feel you on that... I realized I must snore loudly when I got a random amazon package delivered to the house addressed to my wife.

So of course I opened it.... only to find a package or two of earplugs......

HEHEHEHE.... problem solved.....

And I wear them when I get home so I can't hear her either :mrgreen: ..... just kidding.... but seriously....

I think you can with the 100, but I dont think it makes as big of an improvement as it did with the DacMagic.

The Plus is supposed to not need one at all.

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options

I'm almost out of things to sell. Looks like I will be fighting off that pillow very soon.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• tonyb
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »

I'm almost out of things to sell. Looks like I will be fighting off that pillow very soon.

Nah, your easy....just ask her how much is it worth to lock the door when Russ shows up again. :p
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Willow
    Options

We sleep head to toe in my house.

Ha! So do we. Not sure about the ps on it. Might look into it or maybe I shouldn't.
  • mrbiron
    Options
    Ha! So do we. Not sure about the ps on it. Might look into it or maybe I shouldn't.

Small world! :D

I just went looking for it on the webs but could only find the EU version......hmmmm