Pair of LSi-7 or 265-LS

Options
Looking to complete a change in speakers in our HT. Currently running Boston Accoustics (VR-M60 Fronts, VR-920 Center, VR-MX Surrounds, and VR-M50 Rears).

Over the past 6 months or so, I've slowly been picking up LS/LSi speakers and am one pair short of completing the setup. I currently have two centers (not sure which I'll be keeping (LSi-C and LSiM-704c), LSi/FX surrounds, and a pair of 700-LS for rears. I just need the front L & R.

In-walls (265-LS's) would be the best, but I could make LSi-7's fit on the shelves/cut-outs in the front wall of the HT. LSi-9's wont fit, nor will LSiM703's... :(

Once I get this change made, I'll be looking to sell most of the Bostons if anyone is interested. Perhaps a trade even!

Let me know if you've got something I could take off your hands. I know some of you are still sitting on some LSi's... perhaps we could work something out!

Thanks,
-Al

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    Finally lol.....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    Al,

Based on the picture I saw in your SVS FS thread, I think you'd be better off with in-wall's. When I attempted to use Lsi7's in my bedroom system the only feasible positioning was right up against the wall. To be frank, they sounded terrible in that location. Full range the bass was bloated & even crossed over at 80Hz to a sub they had an unnatural chestiness. The magical soundstage/imaging they produced in my main system vanished. Placing them in the little cubbies you have for them would be worse. Actually, I can't imagine any speaker really sounding good jammed into a hole like that. Bass has got to be unnaturally bloated. Do you find the Bostons OK with that arrangement?
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Al,

Based on the picture I saw in your SVS FS thread, I think you'd be better off with in-wall's. When I attempted to use Lsi7's in my bedroom system the only feasible positioning was right up against the wall. To be frank, they sounded terrible in that location. Full range the bass was bloated & even crossed over at 80Hz to a sub they had an unnatural chestiness. The magical soundstage/imaging they produced in my main system vanished. Placing them in the little cubbies you have for them would be worse. Actually, I can't imagine any speaker really sounding good jammed into a hole like that. Bass has got to be unnaturally bloated. Do you find the Bostons OK with that arrangement?

Agreed. Love the 7s in certain setups, namely running full range with plenty of power and room to breathe. I didn't even like them in my living room that has floor to ceiling, wall to wall built-ins. The middle was built to fit an old crt tv, and so I had the 7s sitting on the cabinets flanking each side of the tv cabinet. The are laid back speakers (meaning that they throw the sound stage BEHIND the speakers), so this ruined the stage and the center image.

Besides being laid back, they also have a bit of a bass bump at 100 hz (with a powerport). Considering these two things, putting them in a cabinet is a VERY bad idea. Sorry man...in walls FTW!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • vlam
    vlam Posts: 282
    Options
    If you are every in Philly area, I have a pair of LSI7 if you are interested. They been sitting in my living room for past few years. Probably use them a few times a year. I don't really want to get rid of them but wife decided to re-arrange the room over the holiday so they are getting box up.
    Main Gear
    Panasonic 50" Plasma, Polk LSi15 (Front), LSiC, LSi7 (Rear), Sherwood Newcastle AVP-9080, AM-9080 bi-amp to LSi15, AM-9080 bi-amp to LSiC and LSi7.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    Dave/Paul,

I agree and understand the setup is certainly not ideal. And yes, the bass was substantially increased when I recessed the Boston VR-M60's in the cubbies. But, honestly, it doesn't sound that bad.

I'm definitely leaning more towards in-walls (although that will mean that all the work I put into building the 'cubbies' will have been for nothing)! But that's OK - It's half the fun.

-Al
  • scubalab
    Options
    I met another great forum member this week.

I want to thank Van @vlam for his generous offer to sell me his LSi-7's. I met up with him Wednesday evening and picked up these near-mint 7's to try in the HT. I know it likely won't sound near as good as they sounded in his setup with some room to breathe, but I couldn't pass them up. I'd still ultimately like to find some in-wall LS series. At that point, I'll move these to the 2-channel and keep them!

So, I'll say I'm not in any hurry now, but I'm still interested if anyone has (or sees a good deal on) In-Wall speakers (such as 265-LS or similar) to match the LSi series.

Thank you again Van for your hospitality and generosity!
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Options
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • scubalab
    Options
    I did not see them. Admittedly, I haven't been looking too hard. I'll certainly read up on them and keep them in mind. Not a bad price. Just wondering how they compare to the bigger 265's...

Thank you for posting the link!
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Options
    No probllem. I have no experience with either. I just remember seeing them and came across your WTB thread. Good luck with your search!
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    Hey... hurry up and install the entire setup, run XT32 and then let us know how they sound...

THEN connect the two diff centers and let us know which one sounds better.

I expect a technical write-up with graphs, diagrams and schematics like a engineering plan... well because :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • scubalab
    Options
    Shut up Dan... :p

I partially (well mostly) blame you for this latest 'fix' I'm searching for in this audio addiction.
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    scubalab wrote: »
    Shut up Dan... :p

I partially (well mostly) blame you for this latest 'fix' I'm searching for in this audio addiction.

You can 100 blame me for this.... and you can also thank me for the audio bliss that ensues