Do you prefer to Listen alone?

Options
mikeyb128
mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
edited January 2017 in 2 Channel Audio
I have two buddies who love audio just as much as me, and we love the music. Question is who prefers listening alone? With friends? 80% of the time it's just me and my dog. My Girl friend spends less and less time down here with me. And when she does she's annoying, and gets both our dogs barking and rowdy, throwing balls and toys etc. I then proceed to kick her out as she doesn't respect "my room". I enjoy drinks and music with only a select few friends. And my room is my place to relax, unwind, and get all the issues of life off my mind. Is this only me? Am I losing it? Lol
2 channel:
Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
Theater:
Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

Comments

• smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Alone most of the time. My wife enjoys the music as well but the "sweet spot" is really only with one person place with SDA's. Kind of a detriment sometimes.

I actually screwed up earlier this year with my wife though. While I was away (with work) she listened to it some and I asked her if she used the remotes. She said no and I was like "what the heck? I don't want fingerprints all over everything, use the remotes". She hasn't turned it on by herself since...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Once my 2 channel room is done, it will have 1 chair only. Me, a glass of Scotch or Bourbon and my music.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    I spend 99.9% of my listening alone. I am a widower and my kids are all grow and moved on. My girlfriend won't stop talking long enough to enjoy any music when she is around. I prefer listening alone anyway as it clears my thoughts.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Alone. Wife does not understand the concept of "sitting down just to listen to music"

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Alone.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    I'm alone 98% of the time.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited January 2017
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »

Get a couple sock puppets and give them female names, no sense in being alone ;)

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,520
    Options
    Alone there is no other option for me. Any time someone has come by they end wanting to talk. You either listen or talk, not both.
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • lightman1
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Ricardo wrote: »

Understandable o:)

Ha! You still got, R! >:)
  • lightman1
    Options

Get a couple sock puppets and give them female names, no sense in being alone.

I still have the voices, though. You sick puppy....
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    My friend Tom, about old enough to be my dad, has taught me a lot in this hobby. We do beers once a month. Rule is I bring beers to his house, I sit in his sweet spot. He comes to mine, brings beers sits in my sweet spot. It's a great relationship. I like him better than my dad haha
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options

Get a couple sock puppets and give them female names, no sense in being alone ;)

LMAO....
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    Since im basically near field listening, its 99% alone. Otherwise either I have to get out of the sweet spot or they do.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,050
    Options
    Thankfully for me my wife likes a lot of the same music as I do and likes hearing it on the 1.2tl's at least as much as I do. So I try to not listen alone.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have no choice as I live alone! But I think the answer is generally yes as when you listen with visitors over, you inevitably get pulled away from listening to the music because of talking, making coffees, etc. Though by the same token it is great visiting audiophile friends places as you can discover their music collection & hear their systems, so extending graces goes both ways.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,325
    Options
    Yes. Unless there is someone else who will actually be honest about evaluating my own rig. That is the ONLY exception. I like silence so I can experience the music, not just listen to it.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    I'm a loner, my wife doesn't get. We're not on the same page with music and genres, but that's OK. Some time alone is not a bad thing

Some funny shiite above...LOL

Hey Ryan, is lightman going to sit on your lap when he comes through next time :p
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    I like to tell this story of Ron the first year I met him at LSAF... it may not be true, but it's how I want it to be in my head:

Ron is chilling in his room with a beer. A pretty woman walks in and asks if she can come in. He of course says yes. Now, here is where I might be mis-membering: Ron slides over to the middle of the couch, smack dab between the speakers, and tells the lady "...but you have to sit in the sweet spot," as he gently pats his lap.

And best of all she asked me to cue up some Pink Floyd ;)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Ricardo wrote: »
    Alone. Wife does not understand the concept of "sitting down just to listen to music"

Exactly the same thing here.
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,445
    edited January 2017
    Options
    dammit. too slow! gotta be fast around here.
    I disabled signatures.
  • polk500
    polk500 Posts: 1,171
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    I didn't realize a partner was an option. Have I been doing this all wrong?

Good one.
    Alone with a drink for me the wife just like background music.

Cheers
    Roger
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Depends on the definition of 'listen'. Just hearing the music can be either alone, or with others. However, for me, to really 'listen' to music is to let the music into my mind, and take me to some other place. That is only possible while alone.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Alone.
    Herself isn't into zenning out to good audio as I am, but she does understand.
    Upon occasion, rarely, she'll join me, but mostly it's me, sound waves & peace.
    You either listen or talk, not both.

Correct. And fortunately I don't have to fight that battle
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm never alone. :o
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    dammit. too slow! gotta be fast around here.

Bacon?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,047
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm never alone. :o

We're all jealous because the voices in your head don't speak to us too.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    I definitely prefer alone for me 90% of the time for critical listening. I enjoy music in the greater sense with many friends, but if I'm sittin down for a good listen. Alone.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    Alone most of the time for the reasons already mentioned here. Only one sweet spot. If you're talking I'm pausing the music until you get the hint or I realize you aren't going to get the hint. At that point I realize my night of listening to music is over as I know it, and, you aren't getting invited back to listen to my system.