Chrome Audio anybody using one?

Options
gudnoyez
gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
edited January 2017 in Electronics
00zpx5eikdwt.jpg

Had a $20 best buy reward points burning a hole in my pocket and after browsing around for sometime I seen one of these and decided to pick one up. It came with the auxiliary cable, I have a couple of 3.5mm cords to rca laying around figured I could plug it in to my preamp then seen one of these 3.5mm to optical cords and figured I cold plug it into the Oppo and use its dac. I don't have time to mess with it tonight as we're stepping out but will hook it up and download whatever app needed to the Android, the Ipods and the kindle tomorrow.

Does anyone else own one of these, and what are you running it through, and what is the best method to hook it up I'm guessing via optical to the Oppo to utilize it's dac would be best it was only $35 and with $20 off for $15 and the price off the optical adapter I figured it was worth a try, so who's got one and what are your thoughts? Is it worth messing with or should I return it?
Home Theater
Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)

Comments

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    I have one that I haven't yet hooked up. My plan is to see if it works somewhat like Sonos for my guest bedroom and my other 2 zones for the patio and the kitchen/dining room.

I will be running them through a zone amp versus through either of my "good" systems and just for background music.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    I have one. Use it as my primary source to the musical fidelity dac. It's pretty great.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    Was curious about these as well.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,878
    Options
    I have a regular cc, it only hooks up via hdmi. So I'm thinking of an audio one and an external dac.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Got it up and running sounds great with Spotify using my Galaxy s6 as a remote, now to update my iPods to iOS 8 so I can use them as remotes sounds pretty darn good running it through the Oppo's DAC.

I might just pick one up for each system, at $35 for one of these its a deal. Running Tidal and Spotify I think my CD buying days are over, with the exception of a LP purchase here or there my physical media buying days are over I was running out of room to store it all.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    @erniejade uses one of these IIRC
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    Options
    I had difficulty with my iPad. For whatever reason when I tried to install BubbleUPnp on my iPad it said I can't because I already had it running on my Samsung. The droid version also supposedly has more things. If your gonna use your pad and run uncompressed wav or flac, put BubbleUPnp one the main piece your gonna use most. There is a few other that apple apps but they would do flac and not wav to the chromecast.

With BubbleUPnp I can stream uncompressed wav and flac from my nas upstairs to the chromecast without any hiccups. For 35$ it's a no brainer. I still have not tried the stock power supply since I am using the out from my power conditioner.

Its internal dac is ok for 35$. It's not world class because well. It's 35$! The toslink however to a better dac is dang shocking for $35.

Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    I use one. I bought the optical adapter for about 2 bucks and run it through my benchmark DAC2, using tidal. It sounds very good, shockingly good actually. The thing works without a hitch, absolutely love it.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• jeremymarcinko
    Options
    Be sure to adjust it's output to full dynamic range, which I believe is default if using toslink.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • erniejade
    Options
    Yes. In toslink it is not adjustable but using its own dac it needs to be put into full.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    I've had one for about a year now and love it. I use it to stream from Spotify to a Jolida FX-10 and Paradigm Studio 40 speakers. Sounds way better than it should. I also take it out to the tiki bar in our yard in the summer. It works pretty good there too. Only minor hitch is that location is a little far from our router and it sometimes struggles to pick up the wifi. I just use the 3.5mm to RCA, but there's probably better ways.