Tidal Hi-Fi

Options
2»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    TForan wrote: »
    How does Deezer compare to Tidal as far as SQ is concerned ? I also see Tidal has MQA files now.

Deezer is hit or miss on their upgraded sound quality. Not everything is in cd quality. Tidal supposedly is. MQA files are a good idea, but now you'll need gear equipped to unwrap those files. Your old gear won't cut it.

If I use the desktop version of Tidal and run it into my Parasound integrated with USB, I'm I getting the full MQA quality ?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I see. You need a MQA capable DAC, to get the full effect.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,976
    Options
    How does Deezer compare to Tidal as far as SQ is concerned ? I also see Tidal has MQA files now.

Deezer is hit or miss on their upgraded sound quality. Not everything is in cd quality. Tidal supposedly is. MQA files are a good idea, but now you'll need gear equipped to unwrap those files. Your old gear won't cut it.

If I use the desktop version of Tidal and run it into my Parasound integrated with USB, I'm I getting the full MQA quality ?

No, but it might still be a higher bit rate. That's what I am confused about...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Don't think so on the higher bit rate. The way the MQA tech works....is you can either unwrap it or you can't, there is no in between. If you can't, then your stuck with what else Tidal offers.

As far as running into a Parasound int., no....you still need a piece to unwrap those files. The Parasound would have to be MQA certified. You can buy a separate dac that is certified and then run it into the Parasound.

See how they getcha ?

Then what ? An MQA-X version will soon appear boasting some other improvement that you'll have to get new gear again to accommodate. Never ends...
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    You do not need an MQA capable DAC if using the Tidal desktop app. The desktop app will output hi-res. My DAC, fed via USB, I use in the headphone rig, displays the sample rate. When I play stuff that's labeled as "Master", the DAC reads 88.2 or 96. Whether this sounds as good as an MQA capable DAC is up for debate.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    So, it might be wise to wait awhile ?
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,976
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    You do not need an MQA capable DAC if using the Tidal desktop app. The desktop app will output hi-res. My DAC, fed via USB, I use in the headphone rig, displays the sample rate. When I play stuff that's labeled as "Master", the DAC reads 88.2 or 96. Whether this sounds as good as an MQA capable DAC is up for debate.

This is what mine does as well, which makes me think that I am getting hi rez but not MQA, which as dave says, I don't have the tech to know if there is a difference...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • tonyb
    Options
    Yes and no....here's my understanding of it.

Yes, the desktop app can unwrap the MQA files when using a USB connection. However, it's limited to 24/96 by the software. If you want to take advantage of files in the MQA all the way up to 384 kHz, you need an MQA certified dac.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    My Auralic Mini/Dac shows the same thing, says 24 bit but 48hz.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    edited March 2017
    Options

Yes, the desktop app can unwrap the MQA files when using a USB connection. However, it's limited to 24/96 by the software. If you want to take advantage of files in the MQA all the way up to 384 kHz, you need an MQA certified dac.

Isn't MQA just the tech to wrap up a hi-res file into a smaller package? I thought once you unwrapped it you had the best there was. An MQA capable DAC is just performing the same task the Tidal desktop app does, unwrapping the MQA file. Though as with anything audio, I can see there being differences in the end result based on implementation. Am I wrong on this?
  • tonyb
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »

Isn't MQA just the tech to wrap up a hi-res file into a smaller package? I thought once you unwrapped it you had the best there was. An MQA capable DAC is just performing the same task the Tidal desktop app does, unwrapping the MQA file. Though as with anything audio, I can see there being differences in the end result based on implementation. Am I wrong on this?

As I posted in another thread....my understanding is unfolding the MQA file is somewhat of a 2 step process. Yes, the App can unwrap the MQA file, but the app is limited to 24/96. So while using the desktop app is fine, on it's own, there are limits. Only when coupled with a dac, certified to be MQA compliant, be it a stand alone or built into say a streamer, can you get up to the 384 kHz .
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    Options
    My take from other forums is that the 'full' MQA effect is two fold: 'unfolding' which can be done in software via the app, but the other is the A/D, D/A 'deblurring' which can only be done with an MQA licensed DAC.

You also need an MQA DAC to get the highest streaming data rate.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    Options
    I just played with the Explorer2 DAC by Merdian.
    My Rig:
    Tidal App on a MacBook Pro, stock USB wire, Explorer2 DAC, AudioQuest interconnect, Savant Pre-Amp, Proceed Amp5, B&W speakers/Sunfire 12" Sub.

I placed an order for one.
    Tidal MQA library seems to be growing every week.

Sounds awesome, can't be beat for a streaming service.
    My network is all high-end Pakedge gear with a fast cable modem (200mbps download speed).
    Songs/albums seem to need a few seconds to load.

This $200 DAC is a must for any of us here who have moved away from CDs or can't always buy what we want on HDtracks.com. I hope Tidal keeps up the good work and I hope to see other companies get MQA updates for their DACs.

B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »

https://www.meridian-audio.com/media/2920/meridian-explorer-2-user-guide.pdf

mdkg6spqi75l.png
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma