Tidal Hi-Fi

Options
I don't think I'll be cancelling the subscription after the trial period. Odd enough. First song I go to listen to is Hello by Adele.
Epson 3020 projector. Da Lite screen. Oppo 103. Yamaha CXA5000. B&K 7250ii. HSU VTF2. Def Tech Supercube 4000. Polk Rtia9 CsiA6 FxiA6. Monster hts 2600. Home theater.

Bedroom consist of NHT model 2 powered by Parasound hca1200ii coming from my computer.

Stuff laying around. Too much to list but don't want to sell either.

Comments

• Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    Options
    Yeah I've been enjoying it also, and this is coming from an analog guy. I run digital when I've had too many drinks to risk breaking cantilevers on phono cartridges, or for background music.
  • dalylaleahthor
    Options
    Ive never heard a turntable. I mainly listen to mp3 stream from my computer or youtube. I listen to a few cd here and there but don't have no collection of my own. So when I found tidal and decided to try it I was impressed. Maybe I should look into a turntable.
    Epson 3020 projector. Da Lite screen. Oppo 103. Yamaha CXA5000. B&K 7250ii. HSU VTF2. Def Tech Supercube 4000. Polk Rtia9 CsiA6 FxiA6. Monster hts 2600. Home theater.

Bedroom consist of NHT model 2 powered by Parasound hca1200ii coming from my computer.

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Ive never heard a turntable. I mainly listen to mp3 stream from my computer or youtube. I listen to a few cd here and there but don't have no collection of my own. So when I found tidal and decided to try it I was impressed. Maybe I should look into a turntable.

You there! Heretic! Please make your way to the door. Your kind are not welcome here.
    Good day to you, sir.
  • recoveryone
    Options
    LOL, not his fault he was born in the wrong decade LOL
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • dalylaleahthor
    Options
    I meant I never heard music from a turntable lol. My fault.

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    You don't own music? What's the point of all that equipment just to stream MP3's? :'(
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • lightman1
    Options
    I meant I never heard music from a turntable lol. My fault.

Blackguard! Until you have heard the sweet aural nectar of the stax of wax, your presence is no longer required.
    Hasten your pace towards the exit.

:p
  • dalylaleahthor
    Options
    Please show me where I can find the exit. I'm still learning so please guide me towards the exit haha.

• dalylaleahthor
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    You don't own music? What's the point of all that equipment just to stream MP3's? :'(

I own a few cd but I have no collection to boast of.

• lightman1
    Options
    Please show me where I can find the exit. I'm still learning so please guide me towards the exit haha.

Everytime I see your screen name....all I can think of is "Daily Leather"....
    That's your new name henceforth.

And I learn new things every day about this crazyass world of speekagers.
  • dalylaleahthor
    Options
    What is LASF?

• dalylaleahthor
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »

Everytime I see your screen name....all I can think of is "Daily Leather"....
    That's your new name henceforth.

And I learn new things every day about this crazyass world of speekagers.

Call me what you want. As long as your guiding I have no issue.

• lightman1
    Options
    Skip's drunk. Lone Star Audio Fest (LSAF).
    Big ol' gathering of audio nerds in Dallas, Texas.
    I went last year. Good friends, tunes and times were had.
  • dalylaleahthor
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Skip's drunk. Lone Star Audio Fest (LSAF).
    Big ol' gathering of audio nerds in Dallas, Texas.
    I went last year. Good friends, tunes and times were had.

I never heard music from a turntable. LSAF? Over my head. Maybe next time.

• lightman1
    Options
    Coming up in May....you near Texas?
  • dalylaleahthor
    Options
    Nope I'm in California. May is a no go. Taking my state board that month.

• lightman1
    Options
  • recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Say it isn't so, SMH living where some of the most ground breaking music has been made and never had the pleasure of hearing it on the wheels of steel. SMH LOL

Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    Isnt turntable just a slang term for a lazy susan? You know, that circular thing in the kitchen?
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    If you really want to best the sound of Tidal, get a good universal disc spinner (SACD and DVD Audio). CDs are cheaper and easier to come by than vinyl, and they don't get dusty, scratched, and worn out.

Honestly, though, since I have been consistently subscribing to Tidal (at least a year now), I have only bought a handle of CDs. I worked out the math at some point, and I could use $20 a month to buy used CDs (say 3 a month) for 20 years and not have 5000 discs. Tidal gives SO much more than that, and the SQ is CD quality (and now even higher for certain albums), so it is very difficult for me to be motivated to purchase cds...

So what I am saying is, I personally wouldn't bother investing in a collection at this point. Put that money towards a better source, DAC, speakers, etc.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    ONLY thing to mention though is should it die your SOL....

I was a BIG PROPONENT OF MOG.... which got swallowed up by Beats, and became this horrible zombie of what it was, and then Apple ate Beats and I dont even know if the app known as MOG is even out there anymore in any form....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Options
    I'm really loving Tidal too. I have a modest CD collection that was growing until I got my Bluesound streamer and discovered Tidal. It is nice to have a CD and pop it in from time to time but Tidal does 99% of what I need. Only time I buy CD's now is when Tidal doesn't have what I want, for example Mike and the Mechanics disappeared off Tidal for some reason so I bought the albums to listen to.
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • dalylaleahthor
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    If you really want to best the sound of Tidal, get a good universal disc spinner

OPPO 103 good enough?
    Say it isn't so, SMH living where some of the most ground breaking music has been made and never had the pleasure of hearing it on the wheels of steel. SMH LOL

I'll try to make my next purchase a turntable.

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    If you really want to best the sound of Tidal, get a good universal disc spinner

OPPO 103 good enough?

For me, especially running into a good external DAC, yes. For lots of others here, not so much.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    How does Deezer compare to Tidal as far as SQ is concerned ? I also see Tidal has MQA files now.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    TForan wrote: »
    How does Deezer compare to Tidal as far as SQ is concerned ? I also see Tidal has MQA files now.

Deezer is hit or miss on their upgraded sound quality. Not everything is in cd quality. Tidal supposedly is. MQA files are a good idea, but now you'll need gear equipped to unwrap those files. Your old gear won't cut it.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    I believe Deezer is for Sonos only, I could be wrong. Disappointed on the Frank Zappa and Rory Gallagher selections on Tidal.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If you're not interested in a physical collection maybe look into the Bluesound Node 2 instead of the Oppo. It will play high res MQA Tidal albums, the Oppo will not.

If you're going to get into vinyl you really need to get into it. This is meant as no offense to you but from just this thread alone, which isn't much to go on I'll admit, vinyl is probably not for you. Tidal is not a bad option, especially compared to MP3's and lossy streaming, so you're on the right track.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • dalylaleahthor
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    If you're not interested in a physical collection maybe look into the Bluesound Node 2 instead of the Oppo. It will play high res MQA Tidal albums, the Oppo will not.

If you're going to get into vinyl you really need to get into it. This is meant as no offense to you but from just this thread alone, which isn't much to go on I'll admit, vinyl is probably not for you. Tidal is not a bad option, especially compared to MP3's and lossy streaming, so you're on the right track.

Vinyl may not be for me today but maybe tomorrow or the near future? Lol jk. I'm going to hold out for a while on vinyl as I really don't know where to start on it. I will probably hold out until I have a dedicated room just for listening before I get a turntable.

• dalylaleahthor
    dalylaleahthor Posts: 322
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Oh forgot to say no offense is takin nightfall and thanks for the head up on the bluesound mode. I'll look into it.