Carver CT-24 Pre/Tuner Issue

Options
xjghost
xjghost Posts: 1,083
So I listen to the tuner on this almost every night until last week. It started to just stop receiving. Didn't get static just acted like the speakers were being shut down. So I popped it open tonight to see if I saw anything obvious and I did.

AD166FA3-C127-4756-8532-55CE05A9F161_zpsmctipcib.jpg

Just not sure if it is supposed to be there or not. Looks as if something brown leaked out and on the resistor next to the silver component. Any thoughts?
HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

Bedroom system: Carver CT-24, Parasound HCA-800II, Monitor 10's

Additional projects: RTA 12c's

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    Yep, time for new parts.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,326
    Options
    I don't think that is your problem. That brown stuff is most likely glue that hardens and discolors with age. if you really want to salvage it, start with a full recap - that has about a 50% chance of fixing your issue....
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    That was never a very desirable pre imo I'd have a hard time spending the cash on the recap. Send your picture to Roland at www.carveraudiorepair.com/
    See what he has to say

• xjghost
    Options
    Thanks guys. If this isn't worth the time money to fix what should I look for as a replacement? I need a good cheap pre with a remote. I have this in the Bedroom on the 10's with a Parasound HCA800II and really love listening to the radio while falling to sleep or working out on the elliptical, or the iPod on the dock.
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    PM sent. I havery the Carver C-19 that I sent to Roland for a total rebuild and upgrade after a problem came up with it. Spent almost a grand including shipping both ways and it went back out with the same issue within a couple of months. Roland said send it back, but, I never did. Decided best to cut my losses. Round trip shipping is about $180 and it's to the point where I'm throwing good money after bad.

I have an Anthem TLP1 with built in tuner that I picked up here a while back. Comes with remote and can be had for a pretty fair price.

Good luck.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »
    PM sent. I havery the Carver C-19 that I sent to Roland for a total rebuild and upgrade after a problem came up with it. Spent almost a grand including shipping both ways and it went back out with the same issue within a couple of months. Roland said send it back, but, I never did. Decided best to cut my losses. Round trip shipping is about $180 and it's to the point where I'm throwing good money after bad.
    Good luck.

That's too bad but seriously I would of sent it back, Roland would of taken care of it at no cost I'm pretty sure of it. That is WAY TOO nice of a pre I would never consider it good money after bad. I have the C16 he has rebuilt the volume pot twice. I have been meaning to send it back to have a complete recap with TOTL Nichicon's and Elna Silmic II's in all the right places with his and Bobs film cap bypass on them.

Those are still very desirable tube pre's and with the right tubes just silky smooth.

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    I loved it, but, have moved on. Joule and a Constellation have taken its place. It is like a cat, curled up on a guest bed. At least no hair balls.
  • xjghost
    Options
    Quick response. I replied to your pm. $229 estimate on the repair. He sugested looking into a CT-7. I'll use this with the iPod until I can afford/find a replacement.