Logitech Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Cable Mods and Welbourne Power Supply

Options
I was running this Touch into the DAC from my Marantz SA8004 sacd player. I've recently acquired a Marantz NA8005, which has the newer generation DAC as well as built in network streaming. So my Squeezebox Touch has gotten to be somewhat redundant.

I am the original owner and had it shipped direct to Bolder Cable when I purchased it, for Wayne to perform his digital mods package. One sad trickle down effect of Logitech running the Squeezebox platform into the ground was the demise of Bolder Cable. Wayne did some great mods to these units, and the reviews of his work were always stellar.

I also have a Welbourne Labs power supply for it, fully assembled and working with documentation. Includes two DC cords and a computer-grade power cord. I also have two stock Logitech power supplies included.

$400 including free priority mail shipping (in CONUS) for the Touch and the three power supplies. PayPal as gift, PM with inquiries.

10deokd70d95.jpeg
utg4knbe0h84.jpeg
r1t0glwx24u6.jpeg
vwg87os7faza.jpeg
Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Comments

• WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    I can vouch for the sound quality of these units. I own 3 , GLWTS
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    Options
    Fyi, the Bolder Cable mods cost $300 and the power supply was $200.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    What's entailed in the Boulder mods?
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • nspindel
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Well, their site is gone now, Wayne used to have the different mods detailed on there. But his forum is still around on audiocircle, I found this:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82377.0
  • nspindel
    Options
    The problem is that I never even tried the Touch without the mods, so I can't talk before/after. But I did have a Squeezebox Classic before the Touch that Wayne modded and the difference was huge. These were his analog mods, before I was using a dac. If you check out his forum, you will find lots and lots of very happy customers.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Neil, I apologize if any of this is stepping on your toes, but I did some digging and figured I'd share. I didnt dig too deep, cause then my desire to own this might become to great, but I'm sure if someone dug in deeper they could find the "cross posting" he talks about in the quotes below.

If the info here is wrong, please let me know and I will have Ken remove it.

This review goes into decent detail about the modifications Wayne would do to a Squeezebox Classic.

Piecing together some stuff from a thread here specific to the Touch modifications.
    I have worked out two levels of mods for the digital section of the Logitech Touch.

They involve improvement to the power delivery to the chips that produce the digital output signal. They also include running the signal through a 75 ohm coax direct to the connector rather than through the circuit board.

The upgraded mod adds a separate, improved voltage regulator to supply the digital section.
    I have some updates on Touch mods. I will be cross posting on a couple of threads about this.

I have finally completed the first digital output mod for the Touch and it IS quite a bit better than the stock Touch into the modded EE DAC.

Noise floor is lowered. Soundstage is wider. The image is more defined. Dynamics, both micro and macro are improved.

While listening to this modded unit, I compared it to my slightly modded Touch and my Enthusiast Plus modded DUET. The modded DUET sounds very close to the same level mod done to the SB3. The SB3 is a bit noisier because of the display.

Ranking the sound of the three units on DIGITAL output to the EE DAC, The digital modded Touch sounds the best. Next is the digital modded DUET. Then the stock Touch.

All of these were used with BOLDER linear PS. I used both Touch with my older Ultimate MKIII PS and a newer PS design that I will be offering called simply the Deluxe PS. It uses a feed forward shunt pre-regulator to reduce line noise. It does run on the hot side, but it does sound better than the older Ultimate MKIII. The Deluxe will be selling for $750.00. The same circuit will be offered with Jensen caps as the Ultimate MKV.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • nspindel
    Options
    Neil, I apologize if any of this is stepping on your toes, but I did some digging and figured I'd share. I didnt dig too deep, cause then my desire to own this might become to great, but I'm sure if someone dug in deeper they could find the "cross posting" he talks about in the quotes below.

If the info here is wrong, please let me know and I will have Ken remove it.

This review goes into decent detail about the modifications Wayne would do to a Squeezebox Classic.

Piecing together some stuff from a thread here specific to the Touch modifications.
    I have worked out two levels of mods for the digital section of the Logitech Touch.

They involve improvement to the power delivery to the chips that produce the digital output signal. They also include running the signal through a 75 ohm coax direct to the connector rather than through the circuit board.

The upgraded mod adds a separate, improved voltage regulator to supply the digital section.
    I have some updates on Touch mods. I will be cross posting on a couple of threads about this.

I have finally completed the first digital output mod for the Touch and it IS quite a bit better than the stock Touch into the modded EE DAC.

Noise floor is lowered. Soundstage is wider. The image is more defined. Dynamics, both micro and macro are improved.

While listening to this modded unit, I compared it to my slightly modded Touch and my Enthusiast Plus modded DUET. The modded DUET sounds very close to the same level mod done to the SB3. The SB3 is a bit noisier because of the display.

Ranking the sound of the three units on DIGITAL output to the EE DAC, The digital modded Touch sounds the best. Next is the digital modded DUET. Then the stock Touch.

All of these were used with BOLDER linear PS. I used both Touch with my older Ultimate MKIII PS and a newer PS design that I will be offering called simply the Deluxe PS. It uses a feed forward shunt pre-regulator to reduce line noise. It does run on the hot side, but it does sound better than the older Ultimate MKIII. The Deluxe will be selling for $750.00. The same circuit will be offered with Jensen caps as the Ultimate MKV.

Just the opposite, thanks!
  • nspindel
    Options
    Someone please buy this! Otherwise it needs to head to the Bay.
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    Stop it you lol
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • nspindel
    Options
    Stop it you lol

Forgot to mention just how awesome this thing sounds!!!! >:)
  • EndersShadow
    edited January 2017
    Options
    nspindel wrote: »
    Stop it you lol

Forgot to mention just how awesome this thing sounds!!!! >:)

If I had the need this would be gone, I just don't at this time.

Trying to focus on the next sub build and a upgraded rack and pre-pro.....

But DANG this is tempting...

Free bump lol!
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,009
    edited January 2017
    Options
    PM sent. I already have a stone stock SBT so am interested to see the difference with the mods and PS.
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • nspindel
    Options
    Deal pending with Rick.
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    AWESOME! This is a very nice piece!
  • nspindel
    Options
    Rick is done! Appreciate the sale, this will be en route tomorrow. Enjoy!
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    Awesome! Congrats guys.

And happy to have this temptation gone lol...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Awesome! Congrats guys.

And happy to have this temptation gone lol...

My thoughts exactly. Trigger finger was itchin'! And now I'm just left a little jealous...
  • nspindel
    Options
    It's a sweet transport. But when Music Direct dropped the price of the NA8005 to $599, it was a no brainer to sell the SA8004 player (I rarely play my SACDs) and get the free DAC upgrade, because that's what I listen to the Squeezebox through. But then once you do that, you've also duplicated the functionality of the Squeezebox transport. So I couldn't rationalize keeping it.

My wife and I still each use Squeezebox Radios on the night stands, but more often it's for internet radio than my music collection. And then I am a complete iPeng junkie on my iPhone, for listening to my entire collection in the car or through headphones. Never thought I'd sell this Touch after all I spent on it, but also never thought I'd head back to the days of actually having a transport and Dac in the same box!
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    The sound is fantastic, congrats on the sale.