Any Anthem Audio experience

Options
BlueFox
BlueFox Posts: 15,251
edited January 2017 in Electronics
I am thinking of upgrading my HT pre to this Anthem model. It handles 4K, and supposedly sounds great.

aq9p7h4cypqp.png

I'm not familiar with the company so am unsure of their reputation for quality, etc.

http://www.anthemav.com/products-current/type=av-processor/model=avm-60/page=overview
Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

Comments

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    Good quality gear from what I understand.

I owned a big-dog integrated amp from them Anthem 225 I think. I really liked it, but it didn't quite measure up to the Musical Fidelity I ended up staying with.

That said..
    Build quality was outstanding and the sound was great. Just not what I was looking for.

I would buy that brand again for sure if it suited my needs.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    I had an MRX-500 for a couple years in my HT. I gave it to Dan (Enders) after the HDMI out went on it (my fault - not the Anthem's). As far as I know, he's still loving it.

It wasn't in the same league as the AVM-60, but for what it was, it was a fantastic AVR. The room correction (ARC) is second to none!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Anthem is solid but expensive for what you get. Their AVR's are very nice and have their own sound. I never was a fan or wanted to own one.I was however half excited when they originally released. I installed their entire line including pre's and amps. Never was very impressed due to what they cost vs what you get in sound quality and features. Paradigm speakers are the same exact way.
    I think for the money NAD makes a better sounding AVR but they are not 4K yet. They are modular so I'm sure they will come out with a 4k HDMI module.
    If you can get a really good deal on a used one, then the value goes up.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Anthem has always been rock solid in their processors. Personally I always thought they were a smidgen better sounding than the B&k's. I like Cary too, but they aren't 4k either.

Bud, you do know you don't need a 4k compatible receiver/processor, right ? Since the Oppo has dual outputs, one HDMI can go straight to the TV and one to the receiver.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Options
    I had one when they just came out after getting rid of the d2v and before I could hook it up to my Anthem P5 monster amp it sold. I asked the guy I sold it to what his thoughts were because like me he had the d2v and he said he prefered the d2v for the midrange weight. I would be interested to hear from you if you get it and may get one in too when I get a 4k projector in shortly.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    Personally I love the Anthem I got from @scubalab

I love the way ARC works in that you can actually SEE the response of your speaker and also set both a MOVIE and MUSIC setting, and then put each input at that.

So you want your fronts ONLY for music on the Analog input... done..... you want the xover different for music v movies... done.... etc....

Big fan.

If I could afford the processor, I'd have it. But I cant so I'm likely going to settle for a Marantz SR7702 mkII when I can afford that.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    I have their TLP1 pre that I've had for a while and use from time to time. It still has a dry, tight sound until its been played a good couple of hours. Once it gets going it is a nice sounding piece for what it is...a basic, solid pre. Build quality is very good. From my experience with this piece I keep my eye out for other anthem pieces hoping to score a good deal on a big 2 channel amp. I don't do HT or I would seriously consider their pre/pro units.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    When i look at the models of Pre-Pros that are not from the major brands like Marantz, Yamaha and Onkyo I look for what features the lesser known brand cut out. The Anthem model lacks 7.1 analog inputs and any kind of legacy video input. Means reliance on HDMI for any video, which may or may not be a concern. Apart from that it looks to be full featured if expensive for what it is. Anthem is really known for their much more expensive Statement line. I would go with a Marantz AV7703 refurb and save $1300 as I have never considered a Pre-Pro or receiver to be a permanent fixture in a home theater system as an expensive two channel preamp is for a two channel system.
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,054
    Options
    I've only owned older gear by Anthem (Amp 1 and Pre2L). Both were built like tanks and had great SQ. Can't speak for their newer stuff. I really like the Pioneer Elite line and will most likely buy another SC series when I can afford the move to Atmos.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    I've owned the Tlp1 Pre, MCA20 amp, and still have their MRX300 avr.
    Like their sound/build and will continue to buy their products.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • BlueFox
    Options
    The January 2017 issue of Sound & Vision has a great review of the Anthem AVM60. I like they stripped a lot of legacy video connections, and video processing to keep the cost down.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I replaced my Marantz SR7008 with an Anthem MRX 720. The sound imo is much better and the build quality is excellent. ARC imo is better then Audyssey.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • mrbiron
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    The January 2017 issue of Sound & Vision has a great review of the Anthem AVM60. I like they stripped a lot of legacy video connections, and video processing to keep the cost down.

The legacy connectors are pointless. I don't understand why dated tech is still needed. I wish others would follow suite.
  • kharp1
    Options
    I hate to sound stupid, but I can't help it. What are legacy connections?
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »

So you can plug in your Subaru and get more power......duh!
  • BlueFox
    edited January 2017
    Options

S-video, component video, etc. The old type of video inputs.

Back in the 90s I went to a seminar on fiber channel computer networks. The speaker kept on referring to 'legacy networks', and finally I had to ask what the heck is a legacy network. LOL. Basically, it is the network that all ready exists. These marketing types find a new word, and they won't let it go. They screw up the entire 'paradigm' with their 'synergy'. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tonyb
    Options

Legacy as in old outdated connections, like those color coded ones for video. Though I think analog connections for audio is not outdated.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    I have their TLP1 pre that I've had for a while and use from time to time. It still has a dry, tight sound until its been played a good couple of hours. Once it gets going it is a nice sounding piece for what it is...a basic, solid pre. Build quality is very good. From my experience with this piece I keep my eye out for other anthem pieces hoping to score a good deal on a big 2 channel amp. I don't do HT or I would seriously consider their pre/pro units.

You should consider them anyway, pre/pro units. Their older pre/pro's make excellent 2 channel pre's, have great build quality and very good dacs in them. Plus they are cheap now on the used markets.

I'd still hit up a tubed pre as a first preference if your only 2 channel though.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kharp1
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »

So you can plug in your Subaru and get more power......duh!

Oh, car audio. I just have the stock unit that came with my Yugo.

tonyb wrote: »

You should consider them anyway, pre/pro units. Their older pre/pro's make excellent 2 channel pre's, have great build quality and very good dacs in them. Plus they are cheap now on the used markets.

I'd still hit up a tubed pre as a first preference if your only 2 channel though.

I picked it up here when I had to send the Carver C19 to Roland. Was tired of pulling the Denon AVR out to use in its place. Now the Anthem pulls backup duty. I've eyeballed a couple of the older pre/pros on the used market, but, just didn't see the need. Good to know they are recommended as I'm always looking for more stuff I don't need.
  • tonyb
    edited January 2017
    Options
    HA...sell the stuff you don't need and buy the stuff you do. See how simple that is ?

Seriously, you can find a B&k ref 30 or 50 pre/pro for a couple hundies and they make excellent SS 2 channel pre's.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    Bud,
    If your concern is more on the sound quality side than bells and whistles, snag a Cary Cinema 12 pre/pro. You want to spend some coinage, look at Classe too.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Yes, or a Bryston SP3, but $10K is a bit more than I want to spend for the HT. That's why the $3K Anthem appears attractive. I probably will wait for the Onkyo to die, but it is nice to do my homework so that I am ready to go when that occurs.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Just invite Skip over, he'll kill it with his big toe. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kharp1
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    HA...sell the stuff you don't need and buy the stuff you do. See how simple that is ?

Seriously, you can find a B&k ref 30 or 50 pre/pro for a couple hundies and they make excellent SS 2 channel pre's.

That's funny, I have a Reference 50 sitting collecting dust. I use the Joule Electra most of the time since I picked it up recently. The P5 is going in a secondary system along with the Cary Hercules and Constellation tube gear. I love the combination of the Joule/Aleph and Sa14 CD player. Moving to room treatments and conditioning for that system.now.

• tonyb
    Options
    Sorry dude, for some reason I thought you were stuck on the TLP-1 pre. Yeah, I'd keep the Joule in the mix....no brainer.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kharp1
    Options
    Nah, it's a back up that I picked up here for a song, and I can't sing. I pulled the 50 out after your post and there seems to be a problem with it. Did a search and it looks like there is a company in NY that bought B&K existing stock and are doing repairs. Going to have to contact them and get this running again.

Back to the Anthems, what's their sweet spot on amps?
  • mrbiron
    Options
    Back to the Anthems, what's their sweet spot on amps?

PVA/MCA - Low and Mid Budget

Statement A & P - Mid to High Budget

I enjoyed my time with the MCA20 but i didn't need that much headroom on a 97db speaker so i moved it. That's the line i would stay in.

• tonyb
    Options
    I was never a fan of their amps, a bit dry sounding to my ears. Kinda reminded me of some series in Classe gear too, a bit dry.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kharp1
    Options
    That's interesting because I felt that way about the pre, dry and tight, but when pushed an hour or so it really opened up.
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    Options
    I have a lot of their older tube and tube/ss hybrid stuff (Pre-1L, Amp-1, Amp-2, Amp-2SE) from when they were owned by Chris Johnson along with Sonic Frontiers. They all sound outstanding! Can't comment on the newer stuff though. No tubes = no interest for me at least with the preamps anyways.