Damn it........... Cables matter!!

I have always poo pooed the cable discussions here. I was the guy who pointed and laughed at the good folks who fussed over the details of their favorite cabling. I figured that my BJCs were fine and the sound was great. Curiosity got the best of me, so figured i would settle this in my own mind once and for all. I decided that a c note was a bargain to prove my point. Well..... I just received the Audio Quest cables that I got from PITTDOG2. I queued up Steely Dan's Babylon Sister that i use as a benchmark for its range, beat and horns. All i can say is WOW. The increase in clarity is crazy. I can hear things I couldn't before. Bass is crisp, powerful and more accurate. highs are not "smeared" as they were. Detail is startling. I don't have the finest of equipment and my 55 year old ears aren't what they used to be, but the difference is easily heard. Now I have another piece to obsess over. Damn it.
Rotel: RSP-1068, RMB-1075, RT-1080 RLC-1040.
Oppo: DV-980H
Polk: Monitor-10B, SDA-1A, SDA-SRS

To know the road ahead, ask those coming back. --Chinese Proverb

Comments

• txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 7,810
    :D :D :D
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures, Simaudio 780D DAC
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Modwright LS100, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers
  • gcegce Posts: 2,061
    Plan on moving up from my bjc's also. What AQ's did you try?
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30
    2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • crashb4crashb4 Posts: 143
    audio quest mammoth terminated with Nakamichi locking bananas. Outstanding. Give it a try. You won't be disappointed.

• BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 9,147
    Hearing is believing. That's all it takes.
    Bud

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-20 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Z Anaconda XLR analog ICs, Z Anaconda speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables
    Revelation Audio Cryo-Silver Reference DB-25 umbilical power cable for preamp modules

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 7,075
    Pffft its all in your head.....as in ears.
    Glad your liking the cables.

• Joey_VJoey_V Posts: 5,708
    Wait... You're moving up to the wels too??
    Joey's Gear:
    Current Gear:
    Emm Labs DAC2x and TSDX Transport -> Cary SLP-05 preamp -> Boulder 2060 stereo amp (w/ Audioquest WEL Signature B) ) -> new speakers -> :D
    Rotel RA1592 Super Integrated -> Sonus Faber Olympica 3 -> :o
    Rotel RC1570 preamp -> Rotel RB1582 amp -> B&W PM1 -> o:)

Old Gear:
    Speakers: Rockport Aviors (5/5), Sonus Faber Stradivari (5/5), BW 802D2 (4.5/5), Martin Logan Summits (4.25/5), Martin Logan Vantage (4/5), Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor (3.75/5), AV123 Strata Mini (3.5/5), ML Mosaic (3.25/5), Onix Ref1 (3/5), Sonus Faber Concerto (2.75/5), SF Concertino (2.5/5), Axiom M22ti (2/5), Polk LSi9 (3/5), LSi7 (2.9/5)
    Source: Squeezebox 3 -> PS Audio Digital Link III -> Cary 306/200 CDP -> Cary 306 SACD -> EMM LABS DAC2X/TSDX
    Preamplification: Rotel RC1070 -> Rogue Perseus -> Cary SLP98 -> Cary SLP98F1 -> Cary SLP05 (sold and then repurchased)
    Amplification: HK AVR330 -> Rotel RB1070 -> Rotel RB1090 -> Plinius SA102 -> Cary 211FE -> Classe M600 -> Boulder 2060
    Subwoofer: Infinity Entra2 sub -> SVS 25-31PC+ sub
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,358
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Hooked another one! Somebody grab the net! This one's going over the fireplace...

LMAO....

Crashb4,

Congrats to you, glad your hearing for yourself and trying different things, that's how we learn in this hobby of ours. Know what's funny to us ? You probably thought there was nothing wrong with the sound you were getting before you tried different cables. Usually most won't, until they hear for themselves and compare.

This is also a testament to you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get better cabling and sound....as some would have you believe.
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    Audio Metallurgy GA-0 digital
    PS Audio Quintet
    Analysis Plus crystal ovals
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2's IC
    Honestly, I expected a very different result from this little experiment. I'm not an electrical engineer, but I'm not an idiot either. Conductors flow electrons in order to do work. The larger the conductor, the more potential work. Simple as that. Right? I guess not. I have read countless papers and articles on this subject with vastly different results and opinions. That's what piqued my interest to begin with. I still don't really understand the properties of audio cables but there is an audible difference. Witchcraft? Maybe. If anyone else is on the fence as I was, my advice is to borrow a set from a friend or find a used set in your price range. Just try it for yourself. You won’t be disappointed.

• tonybtonyb Posts: 27,358
    Yep, just try for yourself, that's all we ask.

Frankly, speaking only for myself, I don't need to know how or why this or that sounds better, just that it does. Because in the long run, isn't that the only thing that matters ?

I will confess though, once I find something that sounds better, I do investigate as to why after the fact.

Once in awhile, we float a cable demo program for members, solely out of the generosity of others or manufacturers themselves. We have a bunch of info on the MIT demo's from a while back. Backert labs finished up a tubed pre-amp demo too not long ago here. Even if your not in the market, these demo's are a great way to get your ear on things for only the cost of shipping.

Now that we've opened up another rabbit hole for you in audio.....good luck and happy listening. ;)
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    Audio Metallurgy GA-0 digital
    PS Audio Quintet
    Analysis Plus crystal ovals
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2's IC
    tonyb wrote: »
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Hooked another one! Somebody grab the net! This one's going over the fireplace...

Know what's funny to us ? You probably thought there was nothing wrong with the sound you were getting before you tried different cables. Usually most won't, until they hear for themselves and compare.

This is also a testament to you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get better cabling and sound....as some would have you believe.

So true. I thought my system sounded great. How can you know if you don't try. My mind is more open to potential changes now. Thanks all. This forum has been invaluable for me in enjoying this hobby.

• gudnoyezgudnoyez Posts: 5,537
    Waiting to hear X's comments any minute now he's bound to chime in. Glad your liking your new AQ's.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • motorhead43026motorhead43026 Posts: 1,961
    X has been banned.

Main System: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk Signature S60's
    Wire: Wireworld Eclipse IC, Audio Art IC3; Speaker cable LA International SS-800; PS Audio AC-3 power cords; All into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

All TV's sound enhanced by Polk Magnfi Mini's.

Other; SDA2BTL's, M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage.
  • polrbehrpolrbehr Posts: 1,956
    They should make this thread a sticky, and require anyone who registers for an account to read it.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • daddyjtdaddyjt Posts: 401
    I may be labeled a heretic for this, but I think ICs make an even larger improvement than speaker cables... not saying speaker cable isn't important, BUT if you're impressed thus far, try upgrading ICs :-)
    Too much stuff to keep track of.

Currently enjoying: Legacy Focus 20/20, McCormack DNA 225, Bill D C1, Oppo 105
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 8,337
    daddyjt wrote: »
    I may be labeled a heretic for this, but I think ICs make an even larger improvement than speaker cables... not saying speaker cable isn't important, BUT if you're impressed thus far, try upgrading ICs :-)

Get out...please leave......blasphemer...

:p
    That's the next step. I am currently using the ICs that came with my Denon CD player that was new last mellinum. There may be room for improvement there. I am exploring simple upgrades for now as I am looking at a move next month if all goes well. After that, it's xover time. Any recommendations for ICs that don't require my first born?

crashb4 wrote: »
    Just try it for yourself. You won’t be disappointed.
    Yes please try for you own sake it is really the only way to know. Mike there will be those times when as much as you want a cable or IC to work for the better it won't. Those cables in my system were terrible, I so wanted them to work out for the better but in my system they made everything just lifeless. I know they are quality cables that is no question. But they just do not have the synergy with something in the system i used thrm in.
    Yes please do try for yourself it's the only way to know for sure in YOUR system. Yes there will be times when you will be disappointed. Like I was with the very same cables. They did not mesh will in the system i used them in. I knew they were will made quality cables that was never in question, but the fact remains that in my system the life left.

This is why one must try. You can read all the glowing reviews you want but until you have it in your system you will truly never know.
    As Tonyb states often synergy is a beast!!
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 13,207
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Yes please try for you own sake it is really the only way to know. Mike there will be those times when as much as you want a cable or IC to work for the better it won't. Those cables in my system were terrible, I so wanted them to work out for the better but in my system they made everything just lifeless. I know they are quality cables that is no question. But they just do not have the synergy with something in the system i used thrm in.
    Yes please do try for yourself it's the only way to know for sure in YOUR system. Yes there will be times when you will be disappointed. Like I was with the very same cables. They did not mesh will in the system i used them in. I knew they were will made quality cables that was never in question, but the fact remains that in my system the life left.

This is why one must try. You can read all the glowing reviews you want but until you have it in your system you will truly never know.
    As Tonyb states often synergy is a beast!!

Your results are what I've experienced with every system I've heard using Audioquest. As soon as the AQ makes it out of the system, the sound seems to come alive. I suspect the Wel's that Joey uses are a different monster though. They do have nice digital cables.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Usher: CP-6311, Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Fiesole, Volterra, Polk: T50, Signature S60, S55, S35, S30, S20, S15, RTA 15tl, Sonner Audio Allegro Unum
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Dayens Ampino, Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, AURALiC Altair, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design Magnifico, North Star Design Supremo
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
    I find that my system "sparkles" now. Not harsh or fatiguing; but more lively. It seemed much more flat with the BJC's. Who knows, I may find another set that sounds even better. I will certainly keep my eyes open.

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 13,207
    That is awesome brother. I am really happy for you and how it morphed your system. Like the discussion in the Sig/RTiA thread, sometimes things just gel and sometimes they don't. What is important is how it works in your system.

Start with those IC's and don't factor out power cables. In most cases, you will want to treat upstream first for best results.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Usher: CP-6311, Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Fiesole, Volterra, Polk: T50, Signature S60, S55, S35, S30, S20, S15, RTA 15tl, Sonner Audio Allegro Unum
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Dayens Ampino, Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, AURALiC Altair, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design Magnifico, North Star Design Supremo
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
    edited January 7
    What the heck happened with my post? The first part disappeared when i hit post. Then the site had me log back in. I had to find the thread then i posted the second part and it looked all good. Now i come back and somehow they have morphed together into one.....WTF....????

I agree to most on this thread.

I was never a believer, I tried a set of AQ Oaks with the idea of poo-pooing the idea and laughing at my dealer's face.

It had the opposite effect.

Worst demo.... ever.
    Joey's Gear:
    Current Gear:
    Emm Labs DAC2x and TSDX Transport -> Cary SLP-05 preamp -> Boulder 2060 stereo amp (w/ Audioquest WEL Signature B) ) -> new speakers -> :D

Old Gear:
    Speakers: Rockport Aviors (5/5), Sonus Faber Stradivari (5/5), BW 802D2 (4.5/5), Martin Logan Summits (4.25/5), Martin Logan Vantage (4/5), Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor (3.75/5), AV123 Strata Mini (3.5/5), ML Mosaic (3.25/5), Onix Ref1 (3/5), Sonus Faber Concerto (2.75/5), SF Concertino (2.5/5), Axiom M22ti (2/5), Polk LSi9 (3/5), LSi7 (2.9/5)
    Source: Squeezebox 3 -> PS Audio Digital Link III -> Cary 306/200 CDP -> Cary 306 SACD -> EMM LABS DAC2X/TSDX
    Preamplification: Rotel RC1070 -> Rogue Perseus -> Cary SLP98 -> Cary SLP98F1 -> Cary SLP05 (sold and then repurchased)
    Amplification: HK AVR330 -> Rotel RB1070 -> Rotel RB1090 -> Plinius SA102 -> Cary 211FE -> Classe M600 -> Boulder 2060
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 9,147
    daddyjt wrote: »

Power cables, along with clean power, easily make the biggest cable difference, at least for me. While speaker cables, and ICs certainly are needed for best performance, I was amazed at how big a difference each power cable, and power conditioner, brings to the party. Power is literally a component, just like the other pieces, and can be upgraded like any other component.
    Bud

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-20 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Z Anaconda XLR analog ICs, Z Anaconda speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables
    Revelation Audio Cryo-Silver Reference DB-25 umbilical power cable for preamp modules

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
    Power conditioning compliments of Rotel RLC-1040. Got that one covered.

Power conditioning compliments of Rotel RLC-1040. Got that one covered.

You might be surprised by upgrading power cables themselves.
    Joey's Gear:
    Current Gear:

Old Gear: