Can I drive a pair of SDA 2s and RTA 12s at the same time with an Adcom 555 amp?

Options
I'm currently running a pair of SDA 2s and RTA 12's, each with their own Onkyo TX-8511 receiver fed through a Y connector to the input source; assuming neither receiver could handle the low impedance of both sets of speakers together. Listening to mostly psychedelic rock & I love the 'fully immersive' sound I'm getting. I'm thinking about upgrading to an Adcom 555 and wondering if 1-it will adequately drive both sets of speakers simultaneously, 2-since there is only one set of speakers outputs, using a simple A/B switch to drive both sets of speakers. A quick search shows that most available switches max out at 150 wpc. I certainly don't need more volume but looking for more clarity, separation and 'pop' I assume the larger, cleaner amp will deliver.

Best Answer

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If it was me and I wanted to drive more than one set of speakers I'd look for a multi-channel amp. I would think if both of those speakers are 4ohm that amp might see a 2ohm load.

Answers

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I can't drive 555. :/
  • gary_blevins
    Options
    Neither could Sammy apparently. Just saw him driving the very car that inspired the song on Jay Leno's Garage.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    I certainly don't need more volume but looking for more clarity, separation and 'pop'

You'll get that by using one pair of speakers and a good amp. Two pair of speakers will get you a smeared mess.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Yep, use the amp on one set of speakers, not both.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    Options
    Agreed with the above..........only a real **** would run 2 pair of sda's in the same room >:)
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Agreed with the above..........only a real **** would run 2 pair of sda's in the same room >:)

WOW a little over the top no?

Just to clarify he's only running one set of SDA' s the other is RTA 12's o:)
  • motorstereo
    Options
    ^^^^^^^Sorry I wasn't poking fun at him.........it was me that did that dirty deed many years ago. Having been there done that my advice is don't do that :)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options

I remember........LOL
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Easy Runnin
    Options
    You could try running your source into the Onkyo and then an RCA from the tape out on the Onkyo to the Adcom. Keep one pair on the Onkyo and the other on the Adcom.

Those who know more than me will probably jump in and explain why this might not be a good idea.
    HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
  • motorstereo
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

I remember........LOL

Occasionally I'll look back at some old pics of my early days with sda's and wonder what the hell was I thinking............2.3s sitting on top klh12's, sp3500's stacked on top of the 2.3s, CRS's plopped on top of 2.3s........ OP listen to the good advice given by others here; 1 amp and 1 pair of speakers.
  • gary_blevins
    gary_blevins Posts: 8
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Enjoyed the back and forth; even the **** part. It did help me clarify something. With the cable connected between the SDAs I certainly do have a 'smeared mess' and a bigger, cleaner amp isn't going to change that. I'll buy the Adcom and use it with the 12s or SDAs; not both. BUT, KLHs and Polks IN THE SAME ROOM???? And admit it on a Polk forum?
  • motorstereo
    Options
    BUT, KLHs and Polks IN THE SAME ROOM???? And admit it on a Polk forum?

Not only that I adamantly defended my position of doing that foolishness. Hey I'll admit I was wrong. Through all that I did learn from my mistakes and gain an education of just how bad a nice pair of sda's can be made to sound.

• pitdogg2
    Options
    ^^^^^^^Sorry I wasn't poking fun at him.........it was me that did that dirty deed many years ago. Having been there done that my advice is don't do that :)

Dang i forgot all about that.
    I can't believe the SH made it through actually.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    Options
    Apparently the forum censors approve of s h i t if head comes along with it.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • pitdogg2
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Well Ray you may be on to something richhead works also....

• TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,264
    Options

I wonder if anyone has tried stacking 2 pairs of SDA CRS+ speakers (tweeters close together) with the MWs aligned correctly to get the SDA effect? Seems like it might be a good combo to try. Please don't call me a **** for thinking out loud. :)
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    TennMan wrote: »

I wonder if anyone has tried stacking 2 pairs of SDA CRS+ speakers (tweeters close together) with the MWs aligned correctly to get the SDA effect? Seems like it might be a good combo to try. Please don't call me a **** for thinking out loud. :)

They call those SDA1c.... lol
  • motorstereo
    Options
    I was hoping for a 1.2 when I stacked 2.3s and CRS's. It didn't happen.
  • gary_blevins
    Options
    Bought the Adcom 555 amp & preamp and after 36 years of owning the RTA12s hearing what they REALLY sound like for the first time! Better bass, better highs and significantly better clarity and separation. Thanks to all for the advice.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Post edited by motorhead43026 on
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    Options
    I have SDA-SRS 2's SDA 2b's Dynaco A25's and a set of Pioneer HPM-40's in the same room however...Not a one connected to the same amp or are they stacked or otherwise attached..So see as the OP found out it does work !! Lol
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    Options
    Woops, I just moved them...