Tidal Introduces MQA

Comments

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    I've been messing with this a bit using my Node 2. I can see MQA albums being played through my BLUos app, as expected my Node 2 sends the standard 16/44 signal over coax to my M1DAC.
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Anyone have any thoughts on how MQA sounds yet?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • doctor r
    doctor r Posts: 837
    My thoughts about MQA listening last evening.

I am focused on vinyl and have been since the early 70s. I never fully converted to CDs as my software source, though I did have a Lector cdt7 in my system for many years. The Lector left a few years ago and I decided to slowly burn my CDs to a hard drive and temporally use a Logitech Touch to stream. Last year MQA began looking interesting and since I needed a temporary DAC I decided the Meridian Explorer2 would be a fun experiment. I have used it to receive the upgraded digital output, up to 192/24, from the Touch which included being able to stream Tidal. Then I patiently waited, and waited, and waited, for the actual MQA Tidal release...

I was disappointed that initially they only are offering it through their own desktop application. This required me to bring my laptop into the system and relegate the Logitech to the sidelines. This also took away my control app on my iPad, but my curiosity prevailed. Tidal software and the required PC drivers for the Explorer2 were downloaded and installed. I spent the next .... few hours comparing the true MQA "blue led" Tidal playback to 44/16 FLAC files, a few 192/24 high res files, and to vinyl. For reference all the digital was streamed through the small Meridian DAC.

My system is adequate, but not ultimate high end. What I experienced using the MQA through my lap top was slightly different than my own burned CDs or Hi res files. The upper frequencies in the high res files were a little "crisper" than the MQA, but the MQA was just as detailed but more enjoyable and to me more musical. The lower frequencies were also perceived to be as articulated as the hi res files, but again just a little more "right" in my perception of the music. There was a definite improvement over the 44/16 files on clarity and smoothness. I was able to configure Tidal to not pass the MQA signal to the DAC and it output a 96/24 signal. This sounded fine, but not near the level of enjoyment as with the Explorer2 doing the MQA processing provided previously in my system.

After spending a good amount of time in the above comparisons I decided to spin a few sides of vinyl. The reality is in my system the vinyl was still superior. There is a liquidity that MQA presents that I truly enjoyed (for a few hours more than I had planed) over my other basic digital sources. That liquidity, smoothness, and ability to create the environment that surrounds the music is superior to my ear with vinyl playback in my system.

Employing a simple low level Meridian Explorer2, a non-optimized laptop PC, and Tidal MQA set to pass through to the Explorer2, I was truly thrilled by the musical presentation. I was engaged in a way that surprised me and already has me wondering how it will sound with a better DAC that also includes the hardware MQA capability.

Rick
    integrated w/DAC module Gryphon Diablo 300
    server Wolf Alpha 3SX
    phono pre Dynamic Sounds Associates Phono II
    turntable/tonearms Origin Live Sovereign Mk3 dual arm, Origin Live Enterprise Mk4, Origin Live Illustrious Mk3c
    cartridges Miyajima Madake, Ortofon Windfeld Ti, Ortofon
    speakers Rockport Mira II
    cables Synergistic Research Cables, Gryphon VPI XLR, Sablon 2020 USB
    rack Adona Eris 6dw
    ultrasonic cleaner Degritter
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited January 2017
    I figured that Meridian would be a good choice and Crutchfield has them on sale for $199 plus you get 3 free months of Tidal when purchasing the Meridian so knock another $60 off the price and you got a heck of a deal.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts, @doctor r. I didn't realize the Meridian2 was MQA capable. I had pretty much resigned myself to waiting a few years for MQA and have not been watching too closely. But, since I can use a Meridian2 in my little desk rig, I decided to order one and give it a spin. Hopefully, Roon v1.3 will be out soon and up the MQA resolution.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Did the setup yesterday and am listening this morning.

Created a Tidal playlist of about 830 MQA tracks.

Streaming from Bluesound Node2 to Marantz SA8004 via Coax. Front panel says 96kHZ.

Listening with my tubes and my Ushers...

Overall SQ difference is very noticeable. Very much liking the experience.

Soundstage is remarkably wide and deep to me. Background is deep and dark.

The Ushers have never sounded better. The Diamond tweeters are superior to anything I have heard/used before and this format brings out the best in them

Bottom end is richer ... Listening to Yes Fragile at the moment and I am mesmerized... like listening to it for the first time. Detailed. not going to say I am hearing things I never heard before but hearing them with a precision that is very appealing on my modest rig.

Tidal is on to something here if they can keep the $$$ down and continue to add content.

Mikey Likes It!

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • stangman67
    I'd the 8004 mqa compatible? If you are showing 96 and it's not mqa compatible, then I am confused as my node 2 is only sending 16/44.1 to my dac on mqa tracks?

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Mikey081057
    So the 8004 predates MQA by many years. What connection are you using from the Bluesound to the M1dac? I am using coax but if you are using USB that might be the answer depending on your M1.

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • stangman67
    I'm using coax as well

• Mikey081057
    HMMM...

• stangman67
    I'll have to mess with it some more tonight and see

• stangman67
    Reset my my player and applied the update. And now it is streaming 96khz to my M1Dac, very exciting. So maybe the MQA dacs are not required as said in the article?

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,506
    Does anyone know if the Rotel RA1592 has MQA ability?
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    vcwatkins wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts, @doctor r. I didn't realize the Meridian2 was MQA capable. I had pretty much resigned myself to waiting a few years for MQA and have not been watching too closely. But, since I can use a Meridian2 in my little desk rig, I decided to order one and give it a spin. Hopefully, Roon v1.3 will be out soon and up the MQA resolution.

I think I read Meridian has their hands in MQA as far as developing it.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    erniejade wrote: »
    vcwatkins wrote: »

I think I read Meridian has their hands in MQA as far as developing it.

That is correct
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    I don't have a component that's compatible yet but I've been doing quite a bit of reading on it. Whenever my LH labs VI tube SE dac is done, I'm being told once they have the firmware and license done, it will be compatible.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • stangman67
    edited January 2017
    I gotta say, this is pretty cool. A very welcome surprise I was not expecting. I don't know exactly why the Node is able to transmit the 96khz signal to any dac but it does and it sounds absolutely fantastic.

Hoping the MQA tidal on Tidal grows exponentially, but for now it is enough to keep me listening for a while. Jamming out to some Muse right now and it sounds great through my Node/M1Dac combo. The Node 2 just keeps on impressing me, gotta be one of the best values out there if you like Tidal

• stangman67
    On further inspection, only some of the master CD's seem to transmit in 96hkz. Most still transmit at 16/44.1

• Mikey081057
    stangman67 wrote: »
    On further inspection, only some of the master CD's seem to transmit in 96hkz. Most still transmit at 16/44.1

I had some displaying at 88kHZ..

• stangman67
    If you get a chance, try to plan Death Cab For Cutie:Plans and see what it plays at. It's been half and half 96/44 for me

• Nightfall
    edited January 2017
    So the Node 2 can decode MQA in software it would seem or is the Tidal software itself decoding MQA? What's the big deal with MQA DAC's then? This would be a big hit to all the companies that paid to implement MQA into their DAC's.

• Nightfall
    The title selection so far is pretty diverse. Motörhead, Black Sabbath, Rush, Led Zeppelin, Talking Heads, ZZ Top, Dio, Phil Collins, INXS, The Cars, and Depeche Mode all starred on my account.

• polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    If you sign up now guys you get 3 months free for a sub to the masters editions.
  • Mikey081057
    stangman67 wrote: »
    If you get a chance, try to plan Death Cab For Cutie:Plans and see what it plays at. It's been half and half 96/44 for me

Yup that one shows 44.

Try Steely Dan Two Against Nature....

BTW I counted over 450 albums today.

• stangman67
    Not seeing a MQA version of that, sounds good either way though

• Great thread! Please keep it coming. B)
  • Mikey081057
    The Doobies stuff sounds awesome...

In general i am finding everything i sample to sound excellent. I loved the way the bass sounded/felt on Two Against Nature.

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Hopefully the upcoming Oppo 205 will have MQA support since the current 105 supports Tidal streaming.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Or not. After further research it appears the Oppo 20x series has zero streaming support. WTF Oppo!
  • stangman67
    Looks like Bluesound is releasing an awesome upgrade at the end of the month to include Roon support. Pretty pumped about that