Tidal Introduces MQA

Options
It's official, Tidal has begun offering MQA to its HiFi members. They have added 30,000 songs off the Warner Group label to their offerings. It's being delivered only through their desktop app at this point.

Haven't tried it out yet, but as an existing Tidal HiFi member, I'm pretty excited.

http://tidal.com/us/masters

Comments

• adb3da
    adb3da Posts: 506
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Would I need new hardware to accommodate this? If I run it from a desktop to USB dac will I see any benefit or does MQA require some kind of new fancy DAC? I have a Peachtree DAC iTx.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited January 2017
    Options
    My understanding is your gear (DAC) must be MQA compatible. It is the chicken/egg syndrome.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • adb3da
    Options
    I have a Mac too.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Pointless if you have a PC as there is no way around that horrible windows sound driver.

A USB DAC uses it's own driver, no?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Nightfall
    edited January 2017
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    My understanding is your gear (DAC) must be MQA compatible. It is the chicken/egg syndrome.

I don't think so, but I'll have to do some more reading. Having a Tidal HiFi subscription myself this is pretty interesting. It's basically 96/24 streaming.
    MQA can be wrapped up in traditional lossless music files such as FLAC, WAV or Apple Lossless formats.

Everybody here that listens to digital should sign up for and support this, the average music listener isn't going to care. For $20 a month you can play any artist/album/song you want, lossless and now high res in some cases. I'm sure they'll add more high res in the future. You can also download entire albums for offline listening on your iOS/Android device.

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    BlueFox wrote: »

I don't think so.
    MQA can be wrapped up in traditional lossless music files such as FLAC, WAV or Apple Lossless formats.

Yea but the same article states that you still need an MQA decoder built in. Sounds like Dolby digital plus. It supposed to be able to go over toslink and be compatible with existing systems, but in my experience it does not...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Nightfall
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Yea but the same article states that you still need an MQA decoder built in.

You're definitely right.
    Some MQA Facts Or Things We Know About MQA Today
    I have included Bob Stuart's comments from the fact check in italics.

The MQA "audio origami" process wraps files in a 24-bit FLAC container which can be read by non-MQA enabled DACs. When playing back high-res content on a non-MQA DAC, the file is presented to the DAC as either 24/44.1 or 24/48 depending on the original sample rate family. You cannot play back an MQA encoded 24/96 file as a 24/96 file on a non-MQA DAC.

The MQA "origami" process reduces the file size of high-res content down to the size of a 24/44.1 or 24/48 file if the original is higher sample-rate.
    A high-resolution original is "limited to an effective resolution of less than 24 bits" when processed by MQA.

Every decoder manufacturer who employs MQA, either through an XMOS-based hardware solution or in software, needs a license from MQA.

The ideal MQA encode process, i.e. on the recording side, is to use an MQA-enabled Analog to Digital Converter (ADC) (licensing fees apply)

This gives us the minimum temporal blur from end to end (a facet of MQA not often debated in the comments).

The ideal MQA encode process involves a representative of the record label who has the authority to sign off on the MQA encode. This process involves listening. When using an MQA-enabled DAC, a blue light indicates it is playing a file which has either been approved in the studio by the artist/producer or has been verified by the copyright owner.

The MQA authentication ‘light’ indicates Provenance in the source for the file. The MQA display indicates that the unit is decoding and playing an MQA stream or file and denotes provenance that the sound is identical to that of the source material. MQA Studio indicates it is playing a file which has either been approved in the studio by the artist/producer or has been verified by the copyright owner.

When that MQA light lights up green, this indicates that the file has been MQA-encoded but it has not necessarily been listened to and signed off on as described above.

"The light color indicates provenance rather than quality or resolution."

DRM has been brought up as a concern regarding MQA. Here's Bob Stuart's answer, "MQA manages no rights, extends or embodies no rights, has no tracing or user information (unlike UITS). There is no management system."
    The fact that an MQA-encoded high-res file cannot be played back in its native resolution by a non-MQA enabled DAC can be looked at as a form of control.

The fact that a high-resolution file can be heard in great quality without a decoder is less ‘controlling’ than the current status quo. Is it a form of control that:

An LP requires a turntable?
    Was that true for shellac, cylinder, CD, Cassette, Minidisc,?
    Is the fact that an iTunes download requires an AAC decoder a form of control?
    FLAC/TruHD/DTS/Aura3D needs a decoder?
    And what of DSD? If I want to hear this resolution I definitely need a new DAC.
    If I buy a 352 or 192k download from HDTracks I can’t play it in my car, on my phone, etc. Is that control? Or is it just inconvenience? It’s certainly destructive to downsample in software players to hear it.
    You can buy an MQA file and play it anywhere.

To get the full studio experience you need a decoder, but the decoder unwraps the file to exploit the capability of every platform. And each and all of those possibilities are preview able in the studio and approved, including the no-decoder case. This does allow the artist/mastering engineer to deliver better the sound they want you to hear.

Is that control, or is it avoiding ‘last-mile’ meddling?

• Nightfall
    Options
    Listening to Nina Simone sing "No Me Quitte Pas" is always special. I own the 24/96 version of I Put A Spell On You and the LP so I'm familiar with this record. Using the Meridian Prime, I first queued up the regular old 24/96 file, followed by the MQA-encoded version and when Ms. Simone sang out in MQA, she'd moved. Or, more precisely, Ms. Simone took up a more believable and solid place right of center as compared to her more diffuse 24/96 image that kinda sounded as if floated more centered between the speakers, still a bit right, but not as obviously so.

But that's not the only difference. The entire space of the recording opened up, unfolded?, into a more realistic-sounding space; more relaxed, more air, greater ease. Coupled with this improved spatial information, which I'd classify as RFO (Really **** Obvious), instruments took up a more solid position within this improved space and they sounded subtly ever that much sweeter.

Read more at http://www.audiostream.com/content/mqa-reviewed#hmsZBqru6x9uS3de.99

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    https://www.meridian-audio.com/products/computer-audio/explorer2/

So this one should do the trick for PC users only $299 what you say Skip?
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Nightfall
    Options
    The Bluesound Node 2 supports MQA, Cirrus Logic DAC, Tidal, Spotify, 192/24 support, etc.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_813NODE2W/Bluesound-Node-2-White.html

I wonder how long it will take for Tidal to move MQA to other devices.

• vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Options
    The good news imo is that there's a pretty good selection of "masters" albums showing in Tidal. Over 200, half of which interest me. Old, new, rock, pop, jazz, classical. A few are surprising to me - albums from Anderson East and Calexico for example. Lots from international artists that I don't recognize.

In Roon, they're showing up as a second Tidal copy of the same album, one 16/44 and a second 24/48 with album art with slightly more contrast and/or more saturated color. But there's no "Master" tag anywhere or indicator that the Master copy is playing as there is in Tidal. I'm pretty sure there are more MQA albums showing up in Roon than those showing up in Tidal under the What's New - Masters group. I've been seeing these dupes often in Roon, but didn't realize it had to do with MQA because of the lack of tags. I'm hoping Roon v1.3 will bump the MQA decoding to 24/96 or more.

There seems to be some small improvement in musicality with the Master copy (as is) through Roon. Not sure if it's the slight resolution bump or MQA mastering or placebo effect. I'll get one of the kids to switch back and forth on me so I can blind test this. At any rate, Led Zeppelin I (Deluxe) sounds FANTASTIC!

Roon 1.3, due out soon, will also include integrated HQPlayer for DSD and DSP which should be fun to tinker with. Also, Sonos integration and multichannel playing. Here's Darko's sneak peak at Roon 1.3.
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Options
    The Bluesound Node 2 supports MQA, Cirrus Logic DAC, Tidal, Spotify, 192/24 support, etc.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_813NODE2W/Bluesound-Node-2-White.html

I wonder how long it will take for Tidal to move MQA to other devices.
    Yeah, you Bluesound guys should also be able to test MQA outside the PC environment. I'm interested to see what resolution will hit non-MQA DACs in this setup.
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    I will check it on bluesound today...Need to figure out if BSOUND app allows access to the TIDAL masters area or will it need an update....
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • adb3da
    Options
    FWIW my BluOS Controller application on the iMac displays the MQA logo when playing an MQA track. So it seems like the first gen Node is capable of playing MQA. Whether or not I am getting all the benefits is another story.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    stop me where I go off tracks but isn't the whole point to this 32 bit?
    Doesn't that start in the recording studio?
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    I wonder when MQA will be supported on the ChromeCast Audio. I assume it will be supported at some point and would offer an inexpensive solution.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    Haven't been able to find a way to access the MQA Masters on the blueOS app...

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • adb3da
    Options
    Haven't been able to find a way to access the MQA Masters on the blueOS app...

Yeah, it took me a little while to figure it out too. Try this...

Go to the Tidal desktop app or website and login. On the left, find the section titled "What's New" and click that. Then scroll down to the Albums section. On the top of the Album header row there are categories. The last one is "Masters." Click that. Then find some albums you are interested and click them, select a few tracks you are interested in and click the star logo to add them to your favorites list.

Now, go back to BluOS app. Locate Tidal > Favorites > Songs and locate the newly added MQA tracks.

When the song plays, you should see the MQA logo in the bottom left of the album artwork display.

• Mikey081057
    Options
    Thanks for the tip @adb3da@yahoo.co you get a :star:

• Mikey081057
    Options
    So there are more than 300 albums up there... works with Node2 not Node... for me to listen I have to ungroup my players and listen on the NODE2 only. Will give it a serious listen tonite but seems to work nicely so far...

• adb3da
    Options
    So there are more than 300 albums up there... works with Node2 not Node... for me to listen I have to ungroup my players and listen on the NODE2 only. Will give it a serious listen tonite but seems to work nicely so far...

Where are you getting the info that it works on Node2 only? You may be right, but with my 1st gen Node I am getting the MQA logo with the little blue dot next to it on the BluOS controller.
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    I may not be correct, but when I had my players grouped it wouldn't play.... I saw the little HD thingy but no audio. I will check with Bluesound support

• Mikey081057
    Options
    Maybe it's b/c I am using a fiber optic and not a coax cable...

• Mikey081057
    Options
    Actually it was that the silly fiber cable was not plugged all the way... Now I am getting MQA....

• recoveryone
    Options
    Hmmm, may have to check it out. I just got the normal stream this week.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • Nightfall
    Options
    Actually it was that the silly fiber cable was not plugged all the way... Now I am getting MQA....

Are you going out the Node 2 with fiber cable to a different DAC and MQA is still working?

• Mikey081057
    Options

Are you going out the Node 2 with fiber cable to a different DAC and MQA is still working?

I am but haven't tried that yet.

• coolsax
    coolsax Posts: 1,824
    Options
    Have just bluesound node 1.. wonder if it will support MQA eventually.. if not, may be time to upgrade to the the node 2.
    Main 2ch -
    BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
    TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
    Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    It will and does.... Checked with bluesound and have it working.