SRS 1.2 no bass

Options
I've been through them twice, all the wires are connected properly. The cabinets are sealed. They are sitting flat on the floor (tiles on concrete). All the drivers work (they move, but not a lot). They are being fed up to 450 wpc rms from a good class a/b amp.
I can turn on the loudness and the bass to +12 and they have a little bass (drivers move a bit more), but I get a lot better sound with my SDA 1b speakers with the settings pretty flat. Even the Monitor 7s have better bass.
I have tried without the interconnect cable, tried just the left or the right speaker, no improvements either way.
There are 5 mismatched speakers (6509 in place of 6511 or 6510) between the 2 speakers. Would that cause such a huge loss in bass?
Could it be something in the crossovers? What other choices do I have?
Thanks,
Dan

Comments

• michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,173
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Is the interconnect socket pin/blade or blade/blade?

Are the red binding post nuts on the right or the left?

If indeed the interconnect socket is pin/blade, then the red binding post nuts are supposed to be on the left, black on the right, irregardless of what the sticker on the back of the speakers denotes. In effect, having the binding post nuts reversed will result in the speakers being out of phase and thus create a loss in bass response.

A lot of the SDA SRS 1.2's left the factory bearing a label for the original SRS (blade/blade). Reason: Polk was using up old stock and put the sticker on the next generation SDA SRS 1.2's which are supposed to have the positive on the left (red) and negative (black) on the right. Folks have been unwittingly listening to their speakers out of phase since day one.

Note: The 1.2's can be converted to the "TL" version. Google for the details.

SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,475
    Options
    I have used a 1.5v battery to confirm driver phase on my 1A's and 2.3TL's.
    First I disconnect the leads from the amplifier and the SDA cable.
    Then hook alligator leads to the binding posts and hold the + binding post lead to the + end of the battery. Then quickly touch (not hold) the - binding post lead to the - end of the battery. The drivers should "bump" out away from the cabinet in phase together. The same should happen for the other speaker.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • dan98svt
    Options
    I have the pin / blade sockets. I'll check the posts when I get home.
  • michaeljhsda2
    Options
    You mentioned that there are 5 mismatched speakers using 6509's in place of 6511's or 6510's. The 1.2's have 6503 and 6511 drivers only. It sounds like you have the original SRS, not 1.2's, however, the definitive proof will be whether the IC socket is pin/blade or blade/blade (there's no such thing as a blade/blade 1.2, only the original SRS has blade/blade).
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    SDA 2B TL's
  • dan98svt
    Options
    As for upgrading to TL, I've already bought 12 rdo0194s... The only place left for those 8 is my Monitor 7s, but that's 6 too many. :-) I'll be staying 1.2. I would like to upgrade my crossovers, but first I want to be sure the speakers work properly.
  • michaeljhsda2
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You definitely have 1.2's however, having 6510 midwoofers sounds like something isn't right. Unless I'm reading your post incorrectly.

The inside (stereo) midwoofers are supposed to be 6503's and the (outside) drivers are supposed to be 6511's on the 1.2's.
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    SDA 2B TL's
  • michaeljhsda2
    edited January 2017
    Options
    The TL mod utilizes the RD0198-1's tweeters, not the RD0194-1's
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    SDA 2B TL's
  • dan98svt
    Options
    No, it's probably me... When I got them, 5 of the mids were frozen, (not when I bought them, but when I finally got them in the house. Learned a valuable lesson that day). I took them out about a year ago but forgot the model numbers, and I took 5 from my 1Bs and replaced the ones in the 1.2s. For some reason I was thinking they are 6510 and 11.
    Dan
  • dan98svt
    Options
    I meant 1C. Too many numbers and letters for this old brain. ..
  • dan98svt
    Options
    My reds are on the right as I stand behind the speakers and look at them. I swapped the cables around and no improvement or difference. I have the pin / blade socket for the interconnect (which I disconnected for the swap test). The cables are in the correct connectors on the amp.
  • dan98svt
    Options
    If I look at the connectors inside the speaker (terminals) will I be able to obviously see if they are running to the + or - on the crossover? i.e. is it marked?
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options
    machone wrote: »
    Then hook alligator leads to the binding posts and hold the + binding post lead to the + end of the battery. Then quickly touch (not hold) the - binding post lead to the - end of the battery. The drivers should "bump" out away from the cabinet in phase together. The same should happen for the other speaker.

Do this as someone has been in there. It's very easy to get things wired in reverse and especially with that mish mash of wrong drivers. I had imaging problems with my 1.2tl's and as it turned out 2 drivers were wired out of phase in the left speaker.
  • RandyCroissant
    Options
    Yes!!pull the passive and have a look my SDAs are + on the left so are my monitors. Your 1.2s should make tons of good solid bass.
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• RandyCroissant
    Options
    Sorry I'm thinking of my SDAs you have a crossover plate I believe.
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,264
    Options
    machone wrote: »

That is probably the most important test you can do to determine if the wiring is correct. If all drivers aren't in phase it will kill the bass.
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • RandyCroissant
    Options
    ^^^^
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    A cabinet leak will kill bass as well. have we done a leakdown test yet? Push in on the bassive and see how long it takes for the drivers to settle, it should take about 3 seconds...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • michaeljhsda2
    Options
    As I suspected, they were out of phase. Not your fault of course, you were just going by what the label said. If you look at the label closely, you'll see that the illustration for the IC socket is actually blade/blade which is for the original SRS. Amazing that such an error left the factory that way. 3500 dollar speakers...anyway, I love Polk speakers and I digress... Yes, looking at the back of the speaker, red should be on the left since you have 1.2's.

I read where you switched the cables but did you unscrew the plastic binding post nuts and put the reds on the left? Might as well do that. Reattach the SDA cable because that will give you more bass as well.

You can look inside the speaker if you want to but I'm certain that the positive wires are where they're supposed to be.

Have you experimented with placement in the room? That makes a huge difference.

As John noted, do that test as well.
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    SDA 2B TL's
  • dan98svt
    Options
    For that battery test, do I remove the jumpers/bridges things?
  • dan98svt
    Options
    If they are out of phase, will the speakers (or possible individual out of phase speaker) suck in?
  • michaeljhsda2
    Options
    If you remove the crossover plate DO NOT REMOVE THE CENTER BOLT!!!! If you do the crossover will fall off inside the speaker and crash to the bottom.
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    SDA 2B TL's
  • michaeljhsda2
    Options
    They are now in phase once you switched the positive and negative. No other testing needs to be done.
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    SDA 2B TL's
  • michaeljhsda2
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You should remove each individual MW and replace with the appropriate one, making sure that the positive wire (blue/green) is connected to the positive on the MW. Reminder: stereo MW's are on the inside and are 6503's and the SDA MW's are on the outside and are 6511's.
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    SDA 2B TL's
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Push in on the bassive
    The "Bassive Radiator". How appropriate!
    As I suspected, they were out of phase. Not your fault of course, you were just going by what the label said.
    dan98svt wrote: »
    My reds are on the right as I stand behind the speakers and look at them. I swapped the cables around and no improvement or difference. I have the pin / blade socket for the interconnect (which I disconnected for the swap test). The cables are in the correct connectors on the amp.
    What did I miss? He said he swapped the cables, and it didn't make any difference.

Aside from having incorrect drivers, I'd be suspicious of having one cabinet out-of-phase from the other. This will kill the bass, and screw with the SDA effect. If both cabinets have revered polarity, I'm thinking that the bass will be fine, but there will be no SDA effect.

I'm interested in knowing which "good class a/b amplifier" this is.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    Options
    Until you get the proper drivers they will not perform correctly.

6503 is 6.5 ohm
    6511 is 3.1 ohm
    The 6509's are 8.9 ohm

That's not to mention the different Q ratings.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

6503 is 6.5 ohm
    6511 is 3.1 ohm
    The 6509's are 8.9 ohm

5 of the mids were frozen, (not when I bought them, but when I finally got them in the house. Learned a valuable lesson that day). I took them out about a year ago but forgot the model numbers, and I took 5 from my 1Bs and replaced the ones in the 1.2s. For some reason I was thinking they are 6510 and 11.
    Dan
    If I read this right, he has no 6509s in his SRS 1.2s. He scavenged midwoofers from a 1C, not a 1B; therefore he used 6510 and 6511 driver(s).

Depending on WHICH drivers "froze", and which were scavenged from the 1Cs, he could have only one incorrect driver. That would be "best-case", I guess. Until he tells us which drivers froze and which replaced them, we won't know for sure.

You are right, though--until ALL of the drivers are correct, the speakers won't work properly.
  • michaeljhsda2
    Options
    ..and having everything in phase with the IC connected.
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    SDA 2B TL's
  • michaeljhsda2
    Options
    ...and proper room placement...
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    SDA 2B TL's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    Options
    Schurkey wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »

6503 is 6.5 ohm
    6511 is 3.1 ohm
    The 6509's are 8.9 ohm

5 of the mids were frozen, (not when I bought them, but when I finally got them in the house. Learned a valuable lesson that day). I took them out about a year ago but forgot the model numbers, and I took 5 from my 1Bs and replaced the ones in the 1.2s. For some reason I was thinking they are 6510 and 11.
    Dan
    If I read this right, he has no 6509s in his SRS 1.2s. He scavenged midwoofers from a 1C, not a 1B; therefore he used 6510 and 6511 driver(s).

Depending on WHICH drivers "froze", and which were scavenged from the 1Cs, he could have only one incorrect driver. That would be "best-case", I guess. Until he tells us which drivers froze and which replaced them, we won't know for sure.

You are right, though--until ALL of the drivers are correct, the speakers won't work properly.

From his OP.
    There are 5 mismatched speakers (6509 in place of 6511 or 6510) between the 2 speakers. Would that cause such a huge loss in bass?

The answer is, you're damn right.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    Options
    Waiting to hear back from you Dan, wanna hear what happened. You would not believe the mistakes I have made messing with the SDA speakers I have ..It was a total new world to me when I got my first set...