Amplifier's

Options
Ok, I will say right now I don't understand all of this about amplifiers. So looking for some insight. I have Polk RTI-9 speakers that I've read are power hogs. My home theatre and music reciever is a Yamaha RX-A3040 at I believe 140 watts. I have also been reading about Parasound 2250 amp. What would this actually do fo me? If anyone has some knowledge I'd be glad to hear it.

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Keep the electrons in your flux capacitor aligned. Obviously.

You'd gain dynamic ability. When that bomb explodes or that kick drum is hit you'll have the required power to properly reproduce it. You'll be less likely damage your tweeters. Mo' betta' sound.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Good point about the electrons. I am starting to get a little worried that I am running out of electrons in my amps since they are on so much. Class A idle is almost like full power in terms of use.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Good point about the electrons. I am starting to get a little worried that I am running out of electrons in my amps since they are on so much. Class A idle is almost like full power in terms of use.

I hear ya. I also leave my amp on 24/7 and have been wondering how long I have before it's completely depleted of electrons. There should be some kind of gauge or device to check that.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    The electronometer should work. Too bad X was banned as he are a engineer who know this stuff.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Forever!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Carl249a wrote: »
    Ok, I will say right now I don't understand all of this about amplifiers. So looking for some insight. I have Polk RTI-9 speakers that I've read are power hogs. My home theatre and music reciever is a Yamaha RX-A3040 at I believe 140 watts. I have also been reading about Parasound 2250 amp. What would this actually do fo me? If anyone has some knowledge I'd be glad to hear it.

Amperes and head room, things an AVR doesn't have.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Amperes and head room, things an AVR doesn't have.

Bingo.....and how that relates to sound quality has already been stated.

In terms maybe you can understand better.....it's like torque to a car. You can throw any old standard 6 cylinder engine in a Corvette and still drive it daily, get to where you need to go but when you drop a 427 V8 in it, well....I don't need to explain that I hope.

What an amp will also do for you, is give those power hungry speakers what they want so you don't fry tweeters or crossovers. If you've noticed, we have a few people on the forum looking for tweeters from cranking on the volume dial with not enough power or simply driving them beyond their capabilities with an amp in place.

Receivers are adequate by themselves for certain speakers, but not all speakers. Many variables come into play when deciding on adding an amp. Your RTIA 9's though are one of those speakers though that will not perform their best without an amp.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,032
    Options

I only use audiophile grade electrons. They're pricey, but they're worth it.
    I was thinking about installing a van der Graaf generator to make my own in situ, but that's a pretty big commitment.

famousshotinhangar.jpg

• mhardy6647
    edited January 2017
    Options
    In a more serious vein: the interrelationship between amplifier power (= volts x amperes) and loudspeaker load (impedance curve as a function of frequency) is -- interesting. There's a curious admixture of very well-informed opinions and "I read it on the internet, so it must be true" perspective on this (and, indeed, on most) hifi forums, so read carefully. The old timers at an old :) forum like this generally know whereof they speak. You'll notice a couple of replies from folks with ca. 25 to 35 kiloposts above.

All this being said, one is well-advised to trust one's ears. Listen to as much stuff as you can, as often and as long as you can. You'll learn what's important, and what works for your ears and tastes. I happen to use loudspeakers that are capable of completely satisfying reproduction of music with a single ended, class A, transformer-coupled vacuum tube power amplifier capable of about 3 watts per channel output -- but that's a special case. Some loudspeakers (ahem, Magneplanars, ahem) may struggle even with a couple of hundred watts (depending on the amplifier).

The best way to learn is to listen. Ears and mind open, both in terms of the music and the opinions proffered.

This has been a public service announcement :)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    The professor in you comes out...lol. The OP is new to this stuff, I like to keep things in terms most can understand because our jargon is like speaking Swahili to them.

Most who ask these same questions will be lost in our terminologies. They walk away just as confused as when they came here. Most the analogies myself and others use are to get points across that most can understand in laymen's terms....without sending new members scrambling for google or wiki.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    Options
    Forever!

Or until he gets another IP address. Let's hope forever though

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • dalylaleahthor
    Options
    You won't regret powering your a9 with an amp. Parasound & b&k will open them up nicely.
    Epson 3020 projector. Da Lite screen. Oppo 103. Yamaha CXA5000. B&K 7250ii. HSU VTF2. Def Tech Supercube 4000. Polk Rtia9 CsiA6 FxiA6. Monster hts 2600. Home theater.

Bedroom consist of NHT model 2 powered by Parasound hca1200ii coming from my computer.

Stuff laying around. Too much to list but don't want to sell either.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »

meh electrons come and go with ease, it's the magic smoke you don't want to let out of the amp because once that's gone...it's gone!

a phenomenon well known to fans of (in particular) tiny classic British 2-seat sports cars which featured electronic "systems" (to use the term in its loosest possible sense) by Lucas ("Prince of Darkness").

LucasReplacementSmokeKit1.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    la2vegas wrote: »
    How long is X banned for?
    Forever!
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Forever!

Or until he gets another IP address. Let's hope forever though

H9

Alright I missed something. One of you Yahoo's fill me in please.

To the OP
    Remember the movie "Independence Day" the white house explosion scene took something North of 500wpc to reproduce properly. Soon after an amplifier company came out with the "Earthquake" amp that was 600wpc. Then again it's not all about watts you also need a good amount of current to deliver it properly. Most receivers just do not have the proper current to go along with the watts they are listed to have. Then there is the fact that most receivers listed as 140wpc are down to only 60-70wpc with multiple channels driven. The receiver you listed while very nice will never drive more than two channels with anything close to those specs.
  • D'prived
    D'prived Posts: 191
    Options

ElectronWorld is having a New Year's sale on electrons. You can get a 16 oz bottle for $29.95 while supplies last.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    D'prived wrote: »

ElectronWorld is having a New Year's sale on electrons. You can get a 16 oz bottle for $29.95 while supplies last.

That's a lot of electrons; such a deal!
    I can calculate exactly how many, if anyone's suitably interested.
    No, really.

• scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    Very well put Tony!
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,519
    Options
    Electrons, flux capacitors, special smoke... I don't even know what's going on in this thread any more
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Nightfall wrote: »

I hear ya. I also leave my amp on 24/7 and have been wondering how long I have before it's completely depleted of electrons. There should be some kind of gauge or device to check that.

meh electrons come and go with ease, it's the magic smoke you don't want to let out of the amp because once that's gone...it's gone!

As an industrial electrician working with paint application robots I can verify that this is absolutely 100% correct. Once the smoke is let out that's it, party is over.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,337
    edited January 2017
    Options
    With my Parasound I never run out of electrons. Of course when I referb it I filled the power supply caps with ...
    6ilcqx4yamhd.jpg
    wtpyph9a1y6x.jpg
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Electrons, flux capacitors, special smoke... I don't even know what's going on in this thread any more

-- and here we thought you were an audiophile.

here, these'll help --

http://www.econotweaks.com/2301/index.html
    http://www.machinadynamica.com/index.html
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    So X is banned, hmm. I've got to tune in more to keep up to date with the comings and goings around here. Pretty combative dude, I even tried with my professional wordsmanship to mellow the scene out a bit, to no avail ....lol
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    you's a wordy dude Lew...lol
  • Carl249a
    Options
    Thanks for all of the answers. What would you take between Parasound 2250v2. Or the Emotiva XPA2 Gen3? Trying to decide which to buy
  • F1nut
    Options
    Parasound.

President of Club Polk

• chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Options
    Parasound.

I'll second that !!!
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    Parasound
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    P'sound a good choice.
    Consider Rotel:
    980/981 no slouch. 990 will make 'em sing
    10 series, 1080 no slouch. 1090 will make 'em sing
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Carl249a
    Options
    After doing more research I have learned my Yamaha RX-A3040 only puts out 1 volt on the pre outs. WTF? That's to low for most amps.
  • pitdogg2
    edited January 2017
    Options
    After doing more research I have learned my Yamaha RX-A3040 only puts out 1 volt on the pre outs. WTF? That's to low for most amps.

I have used two different Yamaha AVR's as pre-amps both worked just fine with both my amps.