Thoughts on BAT VK3-ix

I'm getting the itch and considering going back to separates. If this happens, I would like to try a tubed-pre and solid state amp combo.

Total budget would be around $2,000 or maybe slightly higher.

Has anyone heard the BAT VK3-ix?

And would it be considered a solid deal in the $1,100-$1,300 range?

Thanks,
Paul
2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Haven't heard that iteration, but for the most part BAT pre amps are solid.Not as Tubey sounding as others though.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited December 2016
    Much more solid state sounding than tube sounding, Solid gear w/solid customer service. IIRC, not as many rolling choices, that could be good or bad depending how you look at it.

BAT has a house sound and their designs are very well executed. I looked at them long and hard for awhile, but they just didn't give me the tube options I was looking for and while the sound is great, it's a bit too sterile if one is looking for that tube euphoria and soundstage.

Not a fan of the 6DJ8/6922 tube. Too much gain in some applications and not enough variety of sound, etc, etc. BAT pack option is a must the SE version uses 6H30 Russian tubes. The 6V6 has some rolling choices.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited December 2016
    Thanks for the input.

I'm not much of a tube roller, so that could be a good thing. I also prefer a little more air and detail as opposed to lushness in tubes, so that could be good as well.

I'm not stuck on this unit, but I'm looking for a used tubed preamp in the $1,000-$1,200 range and I've got a line on the BAT currently.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • tonyb
    Older Joule, Vac, VTL. ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • hochpt21
    tonyb wrote: »
    Older Joule, Vac, VTL. ?

I hear ya. I just don't know enough about anything to know where to start. I know BAT has a pretty good reputation and I've always liked the look of their gear so that's where this thread came about.

I thought some folks on here have had (or do have) BAT gear, so hopefully some of them chime in.

Maybe I'll start a "best tube pre under $1,500" thread at some point..
  • heiney9
    There is no best tube pre under $1500. You already said rolling isn't a preference and while tubes can be extremely transparent and have a huge sound stage, you say you'd rather not have the lushness (or in my book "soul" :) ).

A BAT, VTL, Joule, Vincent, Dared, Eastern Electric, Cary, Prima Luna, Backert Labs are all going to have some different attributes based on design, tube compliment and what sound you are looking for.

BAT is excellent on all fronts except they are much more "solid state" sounding compared to many other tube pre-amps.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1008/bat_vk_3ix.htm

It's very hard to compare (as which is the best) across tube pre-amps because of the variety of designs and tubes used.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • hochpt21
    heiney9 wrote: »
    There is no best tube pre under $1500. You already said rolling isn't a preference and while tubes can be extremely transparent and have a huge sound stage, you say you'd rather not have the lushness (or in my book "soul" :) ).

A BAT, VTL, Joule, Vincent, Dared, Eastern Electric, Cary, Prima Luna, Backert Labs are all going to have some different attributes based on design, tube compliment and what sound you are looking for.

BAT is excellent on all fronts except they are much more "solid state" sounding compared to many other tube pre-amps.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1008/bat_vk_3ix.htm

It's very hard to compare (as which is the best) across tube pre-amps because of the variety of designs and tubes used.

H9

I get you, Brock, and as always thanks for the feedback.

I've been doing as much research as possible (I've read that review twice :) ) and I'm just looking to see if someone here has some real-life experience with the unit.
  • tonyb
    I know a few here have had or still do, maybe not that iteration of the 3 though. Maybe they'll chime in.

Really depends on the sound your looking for. My observations are pretty much inline with others here, a more SS presentation. If you want more tube sound, bloom...look at other brands. Cary has always been one of my favs, and honestly....the Joule 150 could fall in your budget and that's a pretty well regarded pre amp by any standard.

VAC...VTL...should not be overlooked either. Might be tougher to find in that budget though.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • hochpt21
    I'm finding as I go along, that I prefer super detailed and airy presentation. I do like the tube bloom (soul), but not an anyway bloated presentation.

So I'm looking for the magic of tubes, but a clean iteration of that.

The PSB Stratus Golds are a bit stocky and laid back, so I'm hoping a tubed pre and a muscle solid state can really make them shine.

A couple solid state amp options I've been looking at are the Musical Fidelity a308cr and the Krell kav 250a.

I think the BAT paired with the MF might give me a softer, more musical presentation and the BAT paired with the Krell may be more analytical sounding, which might be perfect with the Stratus Golds...
  • heiney9
    To share my perspective, before I really got into tubes, I always thought (incorrectly) that tubes were slow and bloated, a preconceived notion. But I was so wrong. I have more detail and transparency with tube gear than with SS and a killer soundstage and "soul" and zero fatigue.

Much of today's tube gear avoids the bloat. You can dial in a bit of that wonderful Mullard sound which compared to something like a Telefunken has a bit of bloat, but it's still musical and enjoyable on some types of music.

I've said it before, I like the tweaking ability rolling tubes affords me. It keeps things fresh and I can enjoy subtle tweaks whenever I'm getting a little bored. So many possibilities.

H9
  • heiney9
    One other thing to consider with the BAT is if it doesn't blow your skirt up, they hold their value and are an easier sell than some other brands. I always try and keep that in mind when I am buying unheard gear that may not synergize with my current rig. Both resale and price.

H9
  • tonyb
    heiney9 wrote: »
    To share my perspective, before I really got into tubes, I always thought (incorrectly) that tubes were slow and bloated, a preconceived notion. But I was so wrong. I have more detail and transparency with tube gear than with SS and a killer soundstage and "soul" and zero fatigue.

Much of today's tube gear avoids the bloat.
    H9

Agreed, though not so sure about much of todays gear. Usually the cheaper tubed pieces tend to favor the bloated side, but certainly not as much as some vintage pieces. Lots of that can also be attributed to the tubes used. Some are just better than others in a given circuit.

Like everything else in audio, when asked which is better......depends.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • heiney9
    I guess one would have to define "cheaper". Pretty much all today's designs don't have that "bloat" compared to old tube gear. Some of that is just better parts overall. Caps and resistors have come a long way since the 50's and 60's as well as rectifiers and voltage regs, etc.

The Dared was cheaper and zero bloat there. It had some niggling little issues, but overall at it's ridiculous price point it was a winner.

Agreed on your 2nd point.

H9
  • heiney9
    2 things I noticed moving up the ladder with tubes, is blackness in the background noise and increased transparency, among other things.

BAT will excel at those.

H9
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,089
    The Pass Labs X-1, though not a tube unit, would be my choice in that price range. IMHO, for the coin, you will find it very hard to beat given the criteria you are looking for
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson