Cary SLP-03

Options
I'm looking to getting into a tubed preamp with a HT bypass. The Cary SLP-03 peaked my interest. Has anyone listened to this piece before?

Thanks.

Comments

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    I have one myself and honestly, it won't be leaving my 2 channel rig any time soon.

Haven't used the HT bypass at all though so I can't speak to that.

I have it coupled with a hybrid EL34 based tube amp with a set of British made Mullard 12AU7s in the 03 and the sound with my Silverline Audio Sonatinas has me at a very good place in my audio journey...good enough that I have passed up some awesome deals on possible replacements because I love what I have now.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,519
    Options
    I am a Cary fan... still have their 05. One piece that isn't leaving any time soon. Also had the 98 and 98F1.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    The price of the slp-05 seems to be a great value now if you search for the deal. I have a new slp-05 that will be fired up tomorrow, I see to much talk of the slp-05 over the slp-03 if you can afford a few more bucks for the long haul.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I have the SLP 03, and about 100 tubes to play with, it is a fantastic pre, that I am in love with. The stock electro harmonix leave a lot to be desired. Put some NOS tubes in there and be prepared to be wowed. I find it is super sensitive to tube changes. Only complaint is the cheapie plastic remote, it works really well, but the Cary silkscreen rubbed off within weeks of use, and it feels a little breaky in your hand.

I will upgrade to the 05 in the future.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• JuanR
    JuanR Posts: 718
    Options
    Joey how do you compare the sound of the 05 vs the 98's??? Is there a major difference? I was considering going for the 98 and upgrade to the 05 in the future or should I bypass the 98? I really don't need a headphone output so if the sound is minimal I will stick with the 98...

Wagner, what do you think about the 05 vs the Joule Electra???

Your inputs are appreciated!

Juan
  • WagnerRC
    Options
    The slp05 has really sounded very nice tonight and I was a little amazed at the sound. I plan on giving this a long term test and will go back and forth for several months, I am still limited to the rca inputs on the slp o5 and I know the xlr inputs would add to the Cary sound.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    JuanR wrote: »
    Joey how do you compare the sound of the 05 vs the 98's??? Is there a major difference? I was considering going for the 98 and upgrade to the 05 in the future or should I bypass the 98? I really don't need a headphone output so if the sound is minimal I will stick with the 98...

Wagner, what do you think about the 05 vs the Joule Electra???

Your inputs are appreciated!

Juan

I will link you to an old review of mine where I compared them head to head.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    Options
  • JuanR
    JuanR Posts: 718
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »

Awesome review Joey, you answered all my questions regarding those two Cary preamps!

Thanks
    Juan
  • Joey_V
    Options
  • Joey_V
    Options
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Oh my.... I posted it like 3x... what's wrong with me....
  • acmf74
    acmf74 Posts: 936
    Options
    Has anyone tried the Rogue Perseus?

This one also looks like it fits the bill.
  • mikeyb128
    Options

One of the common signs of overdosing on audio equipment.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options

Your a doctor, prescribe yourself something. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    Options
    acmf74 wrote: »

As a matter of fact I have also.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Here is not as detailed a review on rogue 99 and Perseus against Cary slp98.

I have experienced so much gear that I am beginning to forget what I had.

Apparently I had the rogue Metis then the Perseus then the 99 before heading to Cary 98 then Cary 98f1 then Cary 05.

My local buddy has the ref 5se, something I would like to try someday but not in a rush since I love the 05.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?3411-Rogue-Audio-Preamp&p=33701&viewfull=1#post33701
  • acmf74
    Options
    Just bought a slp-03 today. The previous owner has Electro-Harmonix (EH) Gold Pin tubes just installed. Are these the factory tubes?
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Sweet, not sure about the gold pins being stock
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    I haven't heard an EH tube that I wanted to heard a second time.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Now if he would have said Gold Lions....that might be worth more than the pre itself. lol

Even if they are not the factory tubes, and even if they were too, your going to want to swap them out anyway for some fresh NOS stuff. Never heard the EH Gold pins myself, but I would take F1nut's word on that one.

See what the other 03 owners have rolled and liked in there.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    The 03 came with EH but not gold pins. I wasn't too happy with my 03 and EH tubes. I gave them a go, but in the end swapped in some Hammond GE organ grade tubes. Those tubes were the beginning of my tube journey, I was blown away with soundstage width and depth. These were cheap tubes. My advice is stick some RCA tubes in there to start off the rolling, they can be had cheap, and sound very good. And will crush those EH tubes like an egg. I've been through dozens of tubes in mine. Let us know what other gear you have and I can help make a recommendation.

2 channel:
    Theater:

• Joey_V
    Options
    Every tube has their own sound signature and can be synergistic with your equipment. Why don't you try the EH first and see how you like it before tossing it aside.
  • acmf74
    Options
    Great thanks. I'll give the EH a try and then swap out for for some new ones.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Why don't you try the EH first and see how you like it before tossing it aside.

Because they suck.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• WagnerRC
    Options
    seemed like a bargain price. I am glad you grabbed it.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Because they suck.

What he said. New tubes I like the Psvane from Grant Fidelity, there are probably a few others that are ok, but, the NOS market is where you'll start to fall in love with tubes. Thanks to F1nut and heiney9 and a couple others here for guiding me in the right direction.
  • acmf74
    Options
    I have the Psvane in my Jolida CDP and I really like the results.

Now I need some recommendations for the Pre.
  • Joey_V
    edited January 2017
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Because they suck.

It's no harm to use them and try them out. That's how the units were engineered and voiced - with the EH.

On the 05, there are certain qualities to the EH that even some of these NOS tubes gloss over. So it really depends on your system and what sticks out.

Again, for the OP, no harm in trying and just keep an open mind. If you don't like the EH you can rest easy knowing you have room to improve with some NOS. if you like the EH then you should be also happy that you can move up with some NOS.

Again, I'm all about keeping an open mind. The OP hasn't even heard the unit yet, let him decide what sounds good to him.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    acmf74 wrote: »

As a matter of fact I have also.

I traded my Rogue for. Pass Labs X1 and never looked back. Between Rogue and Cary, I would lean with the one you are looking at, but IMHO, I would also consider the Pass...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson