Gluing the cone to the spider on a Passive Radiator?

My first guess would be a super glue gel, or medium or thick modeling CA and an accellerator. Does anyone know if their is a thicker version with a brush? I have only founf thin with a brush.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Aleen's Tacky glue works best.

Waiting for K_M to come along to complain about me being right again.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    The Aleens I picked up was "Turbo" but I didn't notice until I got home. I'm guessing both are like elmers but this is more tacky. Either probably would work fine. Use a bush on the cone, or maybe the spider, or both, and then rest it facing down with the PR puck resting on a soup can. I wasn't sure how to stablize it or if it would cure a little offset, so I went the CA route. I am also a little more familiar with those glues.

I found some Zap, "Zap a Gap" medium CA with a brush applicator. It comes in a 0.25oz bottle and a bright green label for their medium CA. I also used an accelerator similar to Zipkicker to give it an instant cure.

Since the cone was a little off center I pre-planned my orientation and which way I pushed the cone to center it before I started. The bush barely reached the spider. The cap top kept hitting the basket which was annoying. I also put a little bead on top of the cone. I made sure they never touched by pressing the cone away from the spider until I was ready. Thankfully even at rest they didn't touch, but it was very close. I got things lined up and pushed to cone into the spider. It slid into place and I release a little pressure then gave a shot with the kicker through the opening in the side of the basket. That finished the cure on that section. I may have already cured by the time I got the kicker, but this way I knew it would not move. I repeated this for the other 4 openings. This would have been MUCH easier with two people.

I'll see how well it holds up.
  • pkquat
    A quick update. My first attempt a gluing failed to hold up by brushing the cone after only a few days and some bass tracks. This time part of the spider held, which ripped part of the spider. I will likely get a replacement PR in time. The cone is also noticeably off center from the factory which caused the initial, and repair attempt poor bond from the residual side stresses.

For the 2nd attempt, I did the same, but I followed up the initial tack by using a plastic twist tie to add some additional glue to the bond line. This has held up fine for a couple of weeks. The twist tie worked great because it could be bent to the angle I needed, and was like a thin stiff brush so I could put the superglue gel right on the bond line and spread it some to reinforce the original bond.

If you use the Aleens glue, I would recommend the twist tie as an applicator and for reinforcing.
  • Why are you having issues with centering? Both of the radiators in my 2A's had experienced similiar faulures. I cleaned the old glue out with a dental pick then the spiders both went back into their original positions. I used the tacky glue recommended here and it held great.
  • pkquat
    The spider appears to be centered on the frame, however the cone and rubber surround are mounted pretty far off from the center of the frame. This is how it was manufactured. The off center direction of the cone was to the side relative to the orientation of the PR when I removed it. I don't think it had been removed before or in a while based on how the screws felt, the rubber seal and the dust collected on the bottom of the PR, so I doubt it was sag due to gravity.

I don't know if I could removed the old glue, it was in a little pool all around rib of the spider. Other PR's looked the same. The old glue didn't want to crack or peel off, so I left it. I felt I would damage the spider. The glue didn't effect how the cone attached, so I left it.