B&K Reference ST125.2

halo
halo Posts: 5,616
edited December 2016 in Electronics
I just picked up a preowned B&K Reference ST125.2 to hold me over until I get my McCormack amp back from being serviced.

I am very impressed with this amplifier. I'm surprised that there aren't more reviews on this amp out there from the audio enthusiast community. I've heard people on this forum talk about the B&K amps before and they seem to be well regarded. The price was ridiculously low & the seller is giving me a 60-day warranty (I figured I had nothing to lose). I know that B&K is no longer in business but the amp should be serviceable by any qualified technician.

So, how does it sound? Pretty amazing! Instrument separation is fantastic. I do not notice this to be an overly warm or dark sounding piece of equipment. It mates well with the rest of my setup. Vocals are wonderful and instruments are very articulately & accurately reproduced. The bass is accurate and not overly present, with which I am really pleased. This is also a surprisingly light weight amplifier, comparable to the Halo A23, being very easy for me to move this piece around without issue.

When I had the Parasound Halo A23 in my setup, it seemed sterile in comparison to the McCormack. The A23 was too analytical (if that makes any sense). I guess that it lacks the "tube sound" associated with the McCormack & the B&K amplifiers? In my setup, the B&K is a big step up from the A23.

FYI, I'm using MIT Interconnects & Speaker Cables. I have a Creative Cable Concepts "Green Hornet" Digital Coaxial cable running from the music server to the P5.

Silly good amplifier for the price folks. If you have a second system in need of an amp, I would not hesitate to recommend that you try a B&K.

I may take a grinder to the front of it in order to turn the faceplate silver......J/K!

31808637296_7482227053_b.jpg
Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
Post edited by halo on

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I don't think you'll get any arguments from the crowd, we all love B&k stuff and now the used markets make them a stupid good bargain for putting together a system on a budget.

Congrats man, she's a keeper.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    I love, love, love B&K! Very warm, musical, with an excellent soundstage. For the money they are an incredible value.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    Used to own that exact amplifier. Really enjoyed it before moving on to several tube and tube/solid state hybrid amps. I sold it to a friend and he is still enjoying it to this day. As much as I enjoyed the ST125, I had a ST202+ before that that was a large step over the 125 in bass, soundstage, and smoothness. To this day the 202+ is still one of the best amps I've owned. If you ever have a chance to get one, jump on it!
  • halo
    Dawgfish wrote: »
    Used to own that exact amplifier. Really enjoyed it before moving on to several tube and tube/solid state hybrid amps. I sold it to a friend and he is still enjoying it to this day. As much as I enjoyed the ST125, I had a ST202+ before that that was a large step over the 125 in bass, soundstage, and smoothness. To this day the 202+ is still one of the best amps I've owned. If you ever have a chance to get one, jump on it!

I'm hoping to get my McCormack DNA-125 back in the mix soon. I'm also using a sub with my bookies so they're good on the bass reproduction. I am very happy with this amp. The instrument separation is what grabs me the most.

Thanks for the comment on the 202+, I will look into it if I decide to stay with B&K over McCormack.
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited December 2016
    Count me another fan. Wouldn't trade my Reference 4420 for any other entry (~$1k) amp.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Rick88 wrote: »
    I had a 200.2 for a while and I loved it! Out of all the gear that's passed through my setup in the last 10 years (and there's been A LOT), it is one of the few I miss the most and wish I still had.

I have owned separate amps from Rotel, Parasound, and B&K. The B&K was easily my favorite.

Congrats on the score, and Rock On!! B)

I also miss my 200.2
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 2016
    I had this exact model as well. As a matter of fact I preferred it on some different levels compared to the Reference 200.2 which I still have. The ST 125.2 just seemed "livelier", for lack of a better word. The only reason I could see, spec-wise, was that the dynamic range of the 125.2 was 1.4 db, compared to 1.2 db for the 200.2. Don't get me wrong the 200.2 is powerful and sounds, obviously, similar to the 125.2. However, I miss the 125.2 and wish I still had mine...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • halo
    I am very happy with the B&K but I'm getting the McCormack back from service next weekend. It will be tough to decide which amp is going to stay.

The one thing I wonder about is how B&K rates the power output of their amps. They don't do it from 20Hz - 20kHz, 2ch driven, they do it at 1kHz, 2ch driven. If I'm correct, their rated output is higher than what they actually produce, no?
  • smglbrth
    I remember years ago when I was researching B&K and this same thing popped into my head. I read, somewhere on the internet, that the amps actually put out more power than they rated them. I'm sure someone else will chime in on this as I'm no expert on B&K equipment. Dan should be able to answer this with ease...
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    Awesome amp. Love the ST line. B&K was such an amazing company. I miss B&K.

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    Love to read about listener delight with B&K stuff B)

I downloaded all the stuff I could from the B&K website a while back. Not sure how the measurements were taken for their specs, but attached is a .pdf of some specs and info for that series of amps and AVRs.

I don't see it on the faceplate - is that considered the Reference model?
    I disabled signatures.
  • halo
    msg wrote: »
    Love to read about listener delight with B&K stuff B)

I downloaded all the stuff I could from the B&K website a while back. Not sure how the measurements were taken for their specs, but attached is a .pdf of some specs and info for that series of amps and AVRs.

I don't see it on the faceplate - is that considered the Reference model?

I cannot find any information on the ST125.2 on the web. All the info I see refers to the ST125.2 S2. The S2 appears to be the 2nd version / updated version of the amp I have. I would think the 8 ohm power rating is the same given the name.
  • smglbrth
    edited January 2017
    Per the two manuals (st and st II) the specs are a little different.

ST125.2 ST125.2 II

140/8ohms - 185/4ohms -- 125/8ohms - 185/4ohms
    Input Sensitivity RCA - 1.4V -- 1.0V
    Damping Factor - 100 -- 180
    Dynamic Headroom - 1.4dB -- 1.2dB

Other than that they are pretty much the same, spec-wise...
  • halo
    smglbrth wrote: »
    Per the two manuals (st and st II) the specs are a little different.

ST125.2 ST125.2 II

140/8ohms - 185/4ohms -- 125/8ohms - 185/4ohms
    Input Sensitivity RCA - 1.4V -- 1.0V
    Damping Factor - 100 -- 180
    Dynamic Headroom - 1.4dB -- 1.2dB

Other than that they are pretty much the same, spec-wise...
    Thanks!

Can you post a copy the manual here in this thread or send it to me in a pm?

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    Me also, please, if in PM.
    I disabled signatures.
  • smglbrth
    I don't physically have the manuals, I found it on-line under "manualslib.com". Just punch in "B&K 125.2/125.2 II manual" in google and it'll pop up...
  • halo
    Here is the link to the manual for the B&K ST125.1, ST125.2, & ST125.3https://manualslib.com/products/BAndk-St125-2-1720033.html
  • zarrdoss
    zarrdoss Posts: 2,562
    I have the same amp as this but series 2 version, wonderful amp, direct descendant of the legendary ST 140. Great score!