Vinyl lovers rejoice!

Options
(first off, no affiliation. this is what I do, you do what you want)

I've stumbled on the best cleaning solution I've tried yet,Tergi Kleen.
I've saved some LPs with this solution that I thought were lost to time.
Cleaning LPs that were cleaned w/ various different solutions saw enough
improvement to be removed from the out bin and back in to the collection.
(note: doesn't repair scratches)

To use, add 20 drops in a gallon of distilled water and shake. Your done.
The formula has a 2 year shelf life (and maybe more)

I work on one LP while listening to another. So, I let the solution sit for about
20 minutes on the vinyl. (this is for extreme cases) Next vacuum and rinse.
Rinse is with plain distilled water. New sleeve, and done.

I haven't tried it on new LPs yet, but of course I will.

This should set me up for Ultrasonic cleaning in the future :)

Comments

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    I think the Tergi-Kleen is using the Tergitol like the "Triton-X" I bought but the triton isn't available anymore...

If it is then their was a chemist on that one forum thread who said it doesn't dissolve very well in water and recommended dissolving it in Alcohol 1st then adding to the distilled water...which is the mix I'm planning on using next in the Ultra-sonic cleaner.

Also if the Tergi-Kleen has the right Tergitol in it, then this would be a easy to get solution. and many reviewers say they use this on the vacuum cleaning methods.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The directions recommends against alcohol (or any other ingredients) as it
    will "destroy Tergi.Kleen."
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Options
    Water is capable of dissolving a variety of different substances, which is why it is such a good solvent. And, water is called the "universal solvent" because it dissolves more substances than any other liquid.
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited December 2016
    Options
    tru dat. I have a LP here that I haven't done a thing to.
    It's throw down time. distilled water Vs. tergi.kleen.
    first issue, water just beads up. Big mess here. I guess you would have to soak the LP
    Hmm. LP was probably played once or twice. Neither got all the strange spots off the
    vinyl. Water nor tergi.kleen did that well.
    forget the posts. never mind.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    What this product excels at is, getting junk out of the grooves.
    If the LP is NM to begin w/ you could just use water.
    Just cleaning another LP thought to be lost and now it
    is very enjoyable. Not perfect, but playable.
  • voltz
    Options
    Hey Red

I used some enzyme cleaners with my VPI recorded cleaner and they said for really bad records let it set for 3-5 minutes - so I applied it with my cleaning brush but when I took the brush away or stop the spinning it just pooled in one spot and did not cover hardly any of the LP...

so I just keep brushing for 30-60 seconds and wasnt sure the enzmye cleaners work for good or was worth it :(

at least with the USC machine it is in the liquid the whole time it spins...
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited December 2016
    Options
    this is mostly the surfacant Tergitol as you stated.
    http://www.sdpickups.com/pdf/msds.pdf

My thought process here is a first cleaning to clean the USC solution
    cleaner longer.
  • voltz
    Options
    Lol you never fail to impress B) ROCK ON!

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Triton-x 100 =
    C14H22O(C2H4O)n(n=9-10)

Tergi*Kleen =
    C12-14-H25-29-O(C2-H4-O)xH
  • voltz
    Options
    thanks...Wikipedia says = Triton X-100 is soluble at 25 °C (77 F) in water, toluene, xylene, trichloroethylene, ethylene glycol, ethyl ether, ethyl alcohol, isopropyl alcohol, ethylene dichloride.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triton_X-100

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,973
    Options
    I read somewhere that tergitol is best dissolved in a small amount of water by letting it sit for several hours, then mix into the larger batch of water.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • voltz
    Options
    This I can understand, as what I understand from what the chem dude said about it doesn't dissolved very well. maybe time is the answer and small batches.

I went ahead and dissolved mine in alcohol then add the water and will this is the wettest stuff I ever seen LOL. it doesn't bead up at all so I think its really getting in the grooves. stays wet a long time too...I following up with a distilled water rinse using my VPI 16.5 and then vacuum it dry.

special care needed to keep off of labels as it does run down so what fast so I may add some photo-flo to the mix ...still playing & cleaning :)

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    The good luck continues with the Tergi*Kleen and water. I'm getting
    about as much crud off the Lps as the previous clean/rinse.
    Triton-x is much more economical in the long run however.

I'm loath to insert what I would think is dryer (alcohol) in with the
    wetter (Tergi.Kleen, Photo-flo, Triton-x). I'm still playing with a wash
    formula for dollar vinyl. I use some alcohol in that.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,973
    Options
    I have mixed tergitol with alcohol and other times with the water/time formula. Both seem to work for me. I am sooooo looking forward to setting up the ultrasonic cleaner with the homemade cleaner brew.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • pongshi
    pongshi Posts: 376
    Options
    I am waiting for my Triton X-100 to arrive courtesy of ebay and I am excited about using this. Looks like you guys have confirmed some of what I read in a long AK thread that triton X-100 can be disolved in iso alcohol, or distilled water at the appropriate temp. Interested in various formulas and or results. I have an Okki Nokki and a USC machine, but it has not been properly put through its paces yet since, I am waiting on Brian to do his magic. I have been fooling around with the machine for now with a makeshift mechanism. Looking foward to hearing more :)
    Living Room
    Parasound Model 2250v2 amplifier
    Parasound P5 preamp
    Turntable 1 - Technics SL-1210Mk2 turntable with Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Turntable 2 - Dual 1229 turntable, Dual AS-12 45 RPM stacker, Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Schiit Mani Phono Preamp for Turntable 2
    Oppo UDP-205 CD/SACD USB and FLAC duties
    Technics RS-1500US reel to reel
    Polk SDA SRS (2nd Gen) fully modded