Time to retire the F4

I didn't realize these bad boys were still working. The Navy taught me electronics so that I could repair the Fire Control radar on the F4B. That electronic training has paid off in spades, and gave me a good foundation to move into software. In turn, that has allowed me to have a nice stereo, and live comfortably.

Have an excellent retirement Mr. F4, you earned it.

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/20161220/versatile-f-4-phantoms-making-final-flight-for-us-military
Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Did you know that after WWII you could buy a P51 Mustang for $1.00 ? When they reused them in Korea they jumped to $1500.00 after that war. Watched a special the other night that stated those prices. It now takes almost a million to buy a not in too good of shape P51.
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    Big, smokey, lumbering, but strap on those GE afterburner engines and it could haul @ss.

A respectable 56 years of service. Well done!

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    The APQ-72 Fire Control radar. A hybrid of tubes and semiconductors. I loved repairing it. Especially the power supply. Sometimes the freaking tubes would result in flames. LOL.

bbxhsk3l6vs6.jpg

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited December 2016
    I used to watch them to touch and goes down in Springfield Illinois back in the early 80's. They were pretty fugly but also impressive. Big lumbering smokey pretty much hits it all. But you definitely knew when they cracked them open and went straight up until you couldn't see them LOUD FUNOFASITCHES
  • That's pretty interesting, BF.
    My dad built Phantoms for McDonnell Douglas (now Boeing), and you fixed 'em.

Did the Navy teach you electronics on TI by any chance ?
    Sal Palooza
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    A very versatile and valuable aircraft which was also part of the US nuclear deterrent. The F-4D was a big part of my life growing up in Europe as my dad did nuclear weapons targeting for the USAF in the 1970s at Bentwaters/Woodbridge. Their main mission in that configuration at that time was to fly tremendously fast towards Soviet ground targets to drop tactical nukes at low altitude in Eastern Europe. If their missions were to have been for real, that would have obviously been a one way trip. Basically replaced by tactical nuclear missiles for that mission in the late 1970s. At Bentwaters/Woodbridge, they were replaced by the A-10 with a different ground attack mission in 1979. Made the locals happy since the A-10 engines sounded like vacuum cleaners in comparison to the F-4 engines. Also pretty cool that my dad was allowed to bring home a couple of inactivated shells for the A-10's gun. Not sure if the bullet section on those shells was indeed depleted uranium, but they sure were heavy and we weren't allowed to take them out of the country. Just sat on top of a cabinet for a couple years until they disappeared one day.
  • I used to watch them with live ordinance ,, serious mofos!
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited December 2016
    they were a dirty bird to be around and walking under one was a rite of passage into the world of military aviation. The vent and drainage tubes on her belly were there to exact revenge upon the careless, and the gear doors on the mains could have been used to shave with, and would lay open a cut needing dozens of stitches to close up.

Bottom line is she got the job done. The Phantom is the only jet to serve the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds, and I believe more than 10,000 of the type were built for U.S. and other air forces around the world, more than any other jet fighter in the world.

Thanks to those that built, maintained and flew her. A grateful nation thanks you.

*correction... more than 5000 were built.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Still one of the prettiest birds to ever fly;Except of course if you were the enemy. The last missions were as the F4G variant known as the Wild Weasel which did an incredible job of taking out enemy electronics on the battlefield.

The Boeing (F18) EA-18G Growler now fills that role for the Navy.

Originally the F4's didn't have a "gun" and one was retrofitted as a center fuselage hard point mounted POD.

One of the loudest things I have ever heard/felt.

It joins some other great American birds in a well deserved retirement.

The F-14 Tomcat

b3gc96uqe8om.png

The F-111 Aardvark

6k5xfbfhv8b8.png

The SR-71 Blackbird.. Still the fastest to ever fly (that they told us about)

x6h14bdwuw9f.png

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    I think the Blackbird is the neatest looking plane ever.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • BlueFox
    I believe the Blackbird was designed in the 50s. It is amazing how fast aviation technology evolved. Now it seems to have slowed down, but should pick up again as we move into space. I want a space plane. :)

phslgtcsf6du.png

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox
    Did the Navy teach you electronics on TI by any chance ?

Not sure what you mean by 'TI'. Texas Instruments?

We sat in a classroom 8 hours a day for a few months. For the low, low price of extending your service time by two years, the Navy offered a year of training. Thanks, but no thanks was my answer.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • I meant "Treasure Island", in the middle of San Francisco bay. The Navy had one of their ET schools there. Pretty nice location, except the island was sinking. :)
    Sal Palooza
  • What a bird the F-4 is/was. Pilots said it was like strapping a rocket to your ****$. I had the pleasure of working them in Vietnam, putting in bombing runs. Loved to watch them put in 750 pound bombs with ground delay fuses. They would come in at a very steep angle, drop the bomb and then hit the throttles climbing spewing black smoke. Always wanted to take a ride in one, but never got a chance.
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com