The Most Famous Speaker in the History of Rock

2»

Comments

• deronb1deronb1 Posts: 4,193
    The Klipsch RB5s i had for a while were in no way harsh. Actually quite dark sounding. Tons of bass for bookies and an overall coherent speaker, but the highs were just meh, and I moved em on.
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 5,367
    edited January 13
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    For those that haven’t heard the new JBL synthesis series, really owe it to themselves to have a listen. And make sure they don’t mind turning it up. They sure are ugly though. 088zz7av05ad.jpeg

Those owe it to the Everest series and yes very much eyes and ear candy.

People used to make fun of my JBL HLS610's i used in all positions in my HT, they played WAY above the price i paid for them. There is something about the horns JBL used that don't Ice pick my ears the way Klipsch does.

A lot of the JBL stuff i really liked but they also had some real dogs in their kennels.

Just a few dogs. not many.
    That HLS series is AWESOME. I have some HLS 620' towers and the HLS 810's and a HLS center. I listened to Led Zeppelin's " No Quarter " on just the towers and no sub one day. This happened.VVVVrmf5igrjwomw.jpg

Post edited by Tony M on
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mikeyb128mikeyb128 Posts: 2,723
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Most JBL horns do "ice pick" me :(
    (and Klipsch -- well, the Cornwalls have been gone from our house for a pretty long time)

I'm finally starting to catch on vis-a-vis the sweet, smooth horns, thanks to enablers like Joe Rosen :)

This being said, I'm open-eared when it comes to the current JBL offerings -- although they're not the super-high-sensitivity JBLs of old (which is a bit of a demotivator for a fleapower guy like me).

I’ve never enjoyed horns, I’ve always felt they were ice picks in my ears. These JBL’s are so smooth and none fatiguing, it’s really quite impressive. And although I find them ugly, the finish is absolutely top notch, and I could easily live with them in my living room. They are very big though!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 7,914
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Most JBL horns do "ice pick" me :(
    (and Klipsch -- well, the Cornwalls have been gone from our house for a pretty long time)

I'm finally starting to catch on vis-a-vis the sweet, smooth horns, thanks to enablers like Joe Rosen :)

This being said, I'm open-eared when it comes to the current JBL offerings -- although they're not the super-high-sensitivity JBLs of old (which is a bit of a demotivator for a fleapower guy like me).

I’ve never enjoyed horns, I’ve always felt they were ice picks in my ears. These JBL’s are so smooth and none fatiguing, it’s really quite impressive. And although I find them ugly, the finish is absolutely top notch, and I could easily live with them in my living room. They are very big though!

Horns can be really bad, especially to the rookies in the shop. You can lure them under the hood...and press the button... :)
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.
    I agree with some horns are torture. Even to my thick eardrums. :s
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 17,657
    There are good horns & bad horns.

Good horns.

31394669774_c3ce8904c0_b.jpgDSC_6853 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

r4qdxu4lsni8.jpg

Bad horns.

14079655091_caac48766a_z.jpgdampedcornyhornies by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Not that I am biased or anything :)

"It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
    I really liked the horns in 2 sets of Heresy's I've owned. I wish I still had them. I missed a set of Heresy's at an Estate Sale by 5 min.. Price for the Pr. 50.00. :o

My KG4's were very good also.
  • nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 7,914
    Apply 12 volts DC to these...and your sure to annoy and make someone real mad like!

fgkeufrdbxbu.jpg
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 9,848

Tony M wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    For those that haven’t heard the new JBL synthesis series, really owe it to themselves to have a listen. And make sure they don’t mind turning it up. They sure are ugly though. 088zz7av05ad.jpeg

Those owe it to the Everest series and yes very much eyes and ear candy.

People used to make fun of my JBL HLS610's i used in all positions in my HT, they played WAY above the price i paid for them. There is something about the horns JBL used that don't Ice pick my ears the way Klipsch does.

A lot of the JBL stuff i really liked but they also had some real dogs in their kennels.

Just a few dogs. not many.
    That HLS series is AWESOME. I have some HLS 620' towers and the HLS 810's and a HLS center. I listened to Led Zeppelin's " No Quarter " on just the towers and no sub one day.
    I disliked the center. I got rid of it, I never thought it blended because of the smaller woofers. The 610's dug pretty well for a 2 way bookie. I would of loved to get ears on the 620/820 towers. I bought mine brand new from best buy for 100$ a pair on clearance best money i ever spent for 3pr of speakers. Yea baby!

• verbverb Posts: 2,571
    Too bad these never really took off ...

7z3uqfkkv53b.jpg
    2CH: Polk SDA 1C's, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, Rotel 1580 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Carver TX8 Tuner, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    edited January 13
    ^^^^^^
    Scary Good!

I'd love to hear them before I die! :p
  • FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 2,331
    verb wrote: »

7z3uqfkkv53b.jpg

Ahead of their time... But only by 5 years or so methinks.
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 9,848
    edited January 13
    verb wrote: »

7z3uqfkkv53b.jpg

At 10g for a set they sold pretty darn well. Something south of 1000 sets sold. That was a ton of money for the time.
    You needed a large room of course as well.
  • FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 2,331
    Ok, back to topic: Clair Brothers Audio S4. They are the most famous speakers in Rock. They played ALL the venues in their day (20+ years).
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 2,341
    I, too, think they are appealing. I've had some JBL stuff over the years and some if it is surprisingly good. I agree with the earlier post that often times their more affordable offerings hit way above their street price.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    Dual SVS SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

• Mikey081057Mikey081057 Posts: 5,212
    Even the Flintstones had a pair of these

u617pvp7y78d.png
    HT:Polk LSiM 706 LSiM 705's VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's| Marantz AV7702 | Sunfire TGA-7401 | Oppo BDP-103D | Sony PS4 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 64" Plasma | SVS PB13 Ultra | MIT EXP 2's (Fronts & Center)

ManCave: Parasound Halo A23 x2 Amps Parsound Halo A21 Amp & P5 Pre | Marantz SR5011 AVR | Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's| Usher BE-616 Center|KEF T100 Surrounds | SVS SB2000 Sub |Oppo UDP 203 | MIT Shotgun S3's | Marantz SA8004 SACD | Bluesound Node 2 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | HP Elite Slice PC |Samsung 50" SUHD TV

Patio Polk Atrium 8's |Marantz 2252B |

Office Bluesound Node | Audioengine P4 | Peachtree Nova 125SE |

Closet | SDA SRS 2.3's | Monitor 5B's Yamaha M80 | Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2385
2»