psw505 subwoofer, volume cuts out when you turn it to about 90%

Options
Hello Polk Audio,

Had a question about my PSW505 sub...

I noticed when I slowly turn the volume knob from about 80-90% to max volume, the sound quickly fades to nothing..but if I slowly turn it back down a few millimeters, the sound comes back. Is there some sort of protection against turning it to max?

I lose about 10-20% of the volume range because it cuts out near 80-90%, why is that? I've tried it on AUTO and ON settings to see if it made a difference, but it is the same in both modes.

Is the amp defective? It seems to work fine otherwise...

I have it hooked up with a stereo rca cable. Sound output comes from my Rogue Audio Sphinx VAR Output - http://www.rogueaudio.com/Products_sphinx.htm .

Thanks!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. You are tripping the built in protection circuit, designed to prevent damage to the woofer and the amplifier.
    Regards, Ken
  • moonlightaffair
    Options
    Thanks! I've been trying all week to get an answer from Polk CS, but I write them emails and they respond by telling me to call the phone number, I call the phone number and they have 30min wait, I wait, and then 30min later it says, "Biz hours closed" and hangs up on me, I leave them callback numbers, nothing, ridiculous. It should really be a bit more easy to get a basic question answered. Or they could, shudder, put it in the manual.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Options
    By adjusting the volume to max, you are clipping the signal and putting the amp into protect. It is telling you that you are abusing it, so turn the volume down or get a bigger sub if you want more output.
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,519
    Options
    Why are you at 90+%?
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • moonlightaffair
    Options
    I was just testing limits, I have no real use for 90%, sounds terrible that high, just wondered why it would cut out... I have a few other subs and have never experienced that phenomenon.
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    It would also depend on the input signals level.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Why are you at 90+%?

The really good amps go up to 11, to get that extra boost of power!