Computer nerds....

Options
tonyb
tonyb Posts: 32,906
Whats the deal with Windows 10 dropping DRM support ? Napster and Sonos were having a fit the other day. I unplugged the router and plugged back in which seemed to fix things but it was still acting weird. Is there a fix out for windows 10 and DRM support, or are we all just screwed once again by Microsoft ?

If I had known this in advance, I would never had upgraded from 7. I heard a fix was in the works but does anyone know if it actually happened yet ?

I'm telling ya....Microsoft just keeps giving me excuses to go Apple.
HT SYSTEM-
Sony 850c 4k
Pioneer elite vhx 21
Sony 4k BRP
SVS SB-2000
Polk Sig. 20's
Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
Grant Fidelity tube dac
B&k 1420
lsi 9's

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,434
    Options
    When did this start, eg, did you make any recent changes when it began?
    Are you seeing any errors or just that flakey behavior? Specifically Napster app through Sonos or just running natively on your computer? There may be some log files accessible in Sonos telling you what's going on.

The simplest of DRM issues can be due to hardware changes, invalidating your license because it looks like you're trying to use protected content on a different computer, which is the whole point.

Not sure I can answer this question, but re: switching to Apple - I use both for the strengths and my preferences for each platform. You think you're going crazy now with W10? Apple does lots of weird, unintuitive stuff. You could go best of both, and get a Macbook Pro, VMware Fusion, and install two different copies of Windows as virtual machines. Then you could have Apple, W7, and W10.

With all the garbage going around these days, poor quality across the board, and impatience in the ridiculous pace of life, I've come to realize that thoughtless change for the sake of change is dumb. Change to offer innovative improvement is quite welcome. Computer and tech wise, I'll never understand why they keep tweaking stuff for the worse, and making everything all big and tablety, for example. Guess it's that "tablet generation" that's designing stuff and making the decisions now. To me, it's all backward and inefficient.

Switch back to W7 if 10's too hard for you :) 7's solid.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    PS.
    I only responded to this because I saw you posted an unanswered question.
    I was not lured by the "Computer Nerds" title.
    I really wasn't, you know.
    Just so you know.
    'Cause I wasn't.
    I disabled signatures.
  • tonyb
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    PS.
    I only responded to this because I saw you posted an unanswered question.
    I was not lured by the "Computer Nerds" title.
    I really wasn't, you know.
    Just so you know.
    'Cause I wasn't.

LMAO....face it bro...your a computer nerd and you have a badge that says so, and a support group to back you up. lol

Napster and Sonos run on the DRM platforms as most music services do. Some are able to run on the newer platforms, some aren't, but my aggravation is.....why did they not incorporate that fix when 10 was released ? Surely they knew many would be pissed off.

I get the message that Napster can't see my computer anymore, but then some songs play just fine, while others drop out midway and that message of not seeing the 'puter pops up. Napster says....go back to 7 to rectify, while 10 says a fix is coming soon, but that was back in August. So my question stands, is a fix coming soon or is this just B.S.?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • msg
    Options
    lol. DAMmit!

I guess this is what we're talking about here. Looks like it came in with the W10 anniversary update...
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/25975/windows-10-loss-music-video-anniversary-update

Hear ya on the frustration of waiting for updates to fix something that wasn't broken before an update. I hate when stuff like this happens.
    I'll read up a little more on this later, but at quick glance, you're prob right right now - at the mercy of the developers getting a fix together.
    I disabled signatures.
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Options
    I wish some one would write the book computer nerds for dummies, I can't get a Bluetooth speaker to pair with my new Dell 2TB, it finds my wife's Bluetooth Microsoft laptop.. grrrr...
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    lol. DAMmit!

I guess this is what we're talking about here. Looks like it came in with the W10 anniversary update...
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/25975/windows-10-loss-music-video-anniversary-update

Hear ya on the frustration of waiting for updates to fix something that wasn't broken before an update. I hate when stuff like this happens.
    I'll read up a little more on this later, but at quick glance, you're prob right right now - at the mercy of the developers getting a fix together.

Yeah there seems to be a section on how to fix it, if this is the problem.
  • tonyb
    Options
    I dunno Ken, I'd get it back smelling like Molsen and Salmon....with 2 hockey pucks holding up the power supply inside. lol

Thanks for the offer though. I may just forgo the desk top in favor of a laptop down the road, put all my cd's on a separate hard drive plugged into the router or sonos and be done.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @tonyb

I know where to find a NAS preloaded with 2x 2TB drives for 85 shipped.

And no, I don't know the seller other than licking the tires myself on it lol.

That would be your solution if you could handle the setup part.

And PS I wear my badge with pride :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    @tonyb

I know where to find a NAS preloaded with 2x 2TB drives for 85 shipped.

And no, I don't know the seller other than licking the tires myself on it lol.

That would be your solution if you could handle the setup part.

And PS I wear my badge with pride :smile:

licking the tires myself ..... ummm something you need to tell us?
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Options
    Got the pairing solved. I had to hold down the speaker pairing button longer. The speaker is a Core. Great holographic sound..
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • footwedge
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

I switched to Apple in 09' and will never go back. Haven't had virus protection since the switch either and no viruses to date. Not to say OS can't get them just think they are not targeted like MS.

• tonyb
    Options
    Funny, I played everything last night for hours, my music library and stuff from Napster without a single hiccup. I'm wondering if they had a fix incorporated in one of their updates....but no updates came along since I had my last problem. Played again today, no problems. WTF ??

This stuff can make ya crazy.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    Options
    footwedge wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »

I switched to Apple in 09' and will never go back. Haven't had virus protection since the switch either and no viruses to date. Not to say OS can't get them just think they are not targeted like MS.

Same here, Nov 2009 I bought my first iMac and never looked back. Best darn thing I ever did! I can see why a lot of guys stick with Windows though. I'm not a gamer and i don't care to pull my computer apart and tinker with it. Sure there are other reasons, but those are two of the main ones I always hear.
    No excuses!