Yes or No

Options
Am thinking about moving my Ascend Sierra 2's from my 2 channel room to the front of my AV set up.

I had thought about upgrading my Monitor 7's for my 2 channel room, but ran across this listing: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/ele/5918577136.html

I can't seem to find the specs for these (they appear to be 2Bs). Is this a good price? I've been wanting to try SDAs, but not sure if this is a good deal and/or the best model to take the plunge on.

Would be driving them with a Plinius 9100.

Any and all opinions welcomed.
2 Channel "Polk" Room:

Marantz PM8004 Integrated
Marantz SA8004 SACD Player
Music Hall mmf 7.3 TT with Ortofon Bronze
WiiM Mini
Schiit Bifrost with Multibit Upgrade
Polk 7B with RDO198s

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    edited December 2016
    Options
    What kind of space do you have in your 2 channel room? Would the speakers have at least 3 feet from side walls? Is your seating as far from the speakers as the speakers are apart?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    Options
    That's a pair of 2B Studio versions with the pin/blade SDA cable. Some might say the price is high, but you'll find nothing else comes close for the money and then some. They can be TL'd, which I strongly suggest. Fully modded you'll have a fantastic pair of speakers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I say NO.....what was the question again ? I'm just used to saying NO is all.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 748
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    What kind of space do you have in your 2 channel room? Would the speakers have at least 3 feet from side walls? Is your seating as far from the speakers as the speakers are apart?

Listening space is 18 feet long by 10 feet wide (8 foot ceilings). I can arrange just about any configuration needed. Current listening position about 8 feet from front wall.

Any further back and I'll be sitting on my drum throne!

2 Channel "Polk" Room:

Marantz PM8004 Integrated
    Marantz SA8004 SACD Player
    Music Hall mmf 7.3 TT with Ortofon Bronze
    WiiM Mini
    Schiit Bifrost with Multibit Upgrade
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • Easy Runnin
    Options
    The ad raises a few questions to me:

Do you really think his father bought them for HT? I doubt it if he is the original owner.

He claims they are all original. Didn't the original studios come with bases? I do not see the bases in image 7.

If he is going to throw them in moving van and store in an attic, I doubt the price is firm.

If it was me, I would make the trip, check them out carefully and offer 250 or 300.

HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    Options
    Pic 7 is just a grill cover.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,080
    Options
    As long as they can be set up properly in your room, then yes. They are SDA 2B studio's.

The price is on the high side, but as Jesse stated.........

I'd still try to get them a bit cheaper, can't hurt to ask.

Good luck and SDA's are great, refreshed SDA's are superb.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    Options
    I would throw them in my moving van for 300.00 ! I think the 2bs I have are awesome and they look like dog poo. Who cares what they look like or what I paid they ain't going no where.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,080
    Options
    In the pics they look clean.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!