Question about 4K BlueRay DVD

BlueFox
BlueFox Posts: 15,251
Will a 4K BlueRay play as a regular BlueRay in a standard BR player?
Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

Comments

• Ya know what?
    I have a few 4K blu-rays that I bought (*they come packaged with the regular Blu-rays*) I'll pop them in my Oppo BDP-103 and get back to you.
  • BlueFox
    Thanks. I wish I had thought of this before I boxed up my 103.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Top left corner of the screen lies your answer
  • BlueFox
    Great. I was wondering if maybe it was possible these could be playing as a BR and not a 4K BR. Thanks.

I am getting used to this new technology and making sure I'm not doing anything wrong.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    What is the issue to resolve? All of the 14 movies I have in the 4K format also came with a standard Blu-Ray disc and a digital HD coupon. The Oppo 203 will upscale a standard Blu-Ray just as the 103 would.
  • BlueFox
    No issue. I wanted to verify that the 4K disk was actually playing as a 4K, and not as an up converted BR.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Almost all 4k UHD discs are upscaled because most movies are only shot in 2k and even the ones that are shot in 4k+ are digitally processed afterwards at 2k.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Emlyn
    Not entirely accurate. Many 4K UHD releases are from a 4K intermediate and many are from a 2K intermediate. The Revenant comes from a 4K intermediate shot at 6K. Mad Max Fury Road comes from 2K intermediate and appeared that way in theaters. Most movies were shot on film which has no digital limitation other than what the movie studios will provide in terms of resolution if they decide to go to the expense of releasing a remastered version. The CGI driven movies of recent years tend to be from a 2K source since that was how the movies were produced and appeared in the theater. The big deal with 4K UHD for home theater systems anyway is HDR. Given the relative price premium of 4K UHD discs right now I would recommend checking out review sites before purchase to make sure a release is up to reference quality or a simple money grab.

There are a few recent releases of older movies this month but I have not checked out reviews of something like Goodfellas. That one would probably be a good indicator of what the studios will be providing in terms of source resolution. If that is simply drawn from a 2K master, no good reason for me to buy it at the moment since I have it on Blu Ray, HD-DVD, and standard DVD and the price is way too high for what it is.
  • Emlyn
    Turns out Goodfellas is from a 4K master produced last year and is getting good reviews from what I have seen so far.
  • Emlyn
    And, the release of The Magnificent Seven (the recent movie, not the classic one) was shot on film but mastered only in 2K with HDR for the 4K UHD release. There is no reason to do something like that other than to do a remaster in a couple years in 4K and say it's vastly improved to get people to pay more!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Emlyn wrote: »
    And, the release of The Magnificent Seven (the recent movie, not the classic one) was shot on film but mastered only in 2K with HDR for the 4K UHD release. There is no reason to do something like that other than to do a remaster in a couple years in 4K and say it's vastly improved to get people to pay more!

LOL....see, another man who gets it. Which is why I refuse to buy into their crap. Couple years it will be the Ultra UHD release, truly mastered in 4k. By then though, people will be buying 8k sets and 8k BDP's that upscale.

I've already got about 400 movies and I'm not re-buying them every time a format changes. What they are essentially doing is pushing people away from physical media ownership, audio and video, and will be asking you to pay per viewing much like a cable on-demand service does. You can see it happening even now, the move away from physical media ownership.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • So when do we get the brands on our necks and the implanted chips to track us???
    You guys are too much! :p
  • tonyb
    edited December 2016
    You deny the push away from physical media ? Look at audio....I suppose that cd rack at BestBuy is growing ? As soon as they figure out the bandwidth issue for streaming higher resolutions of video, movie discs will also go the way of the dodo bird. You'll be subscribing to movie services too just like audio.

Btw, chips in humans are not new.....

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/meet-the-humans-with-microchips-implanted-in-them/
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Emlyn
    Eh, I don't think I'd voluntarily want something made by a company called Dangerous Things inserted into my body in a tattoo parlor! Needs better marketing, but at least it doesn't have to be inserted up the nose like the thing with Schwarzenegger's character in Total Recall.
  • tonyb
    LOL, just wait....we'll have embedded chips to remote control our AV systems. Just wave your hand to turn it on, turn channels, turn on lights and security, if they'd only make a chip to control women then I'd be down with that.

A bit of a derail here, no thanks to me, so lets get back on track to 4k movies and such.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    89vqrak03w0h.jpg

The new Ghostbusters slapped the UHD 4K disc in unknown disc displays I bought it for the 3D figured I would get the same results Honest got.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)