Ultrasonic cleaning of vinyl albums

Options
I don't want to derail Brian's FS thread so I'm starting this one for discussion. I am probably going to acquire one of his well made units and am looking for 6L tank. I have been doing some reading on record cleaning in the last few months. At this point I have been using an enzyme concoction that was discussed in Audio Karma. It seems to work well enough but it's very time consuming. Ultrasonic cleaning also takes some time but it appears to be a better way to clean and I think I can adapt the enzyme cleaner to this method. I want to do this right the 1st time and am at a crossroad on if I should go with a 40khz or 60khz transducer/tank.

I've read that the higher frequency produces smaller bubbles and lower cavitation energy...so it would seem it's a safer way to go? Also have read that it's best to stay around 90 degrees F? Any real world experience in this area???
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    I am still confused on the 40 or 60hz part....and I know that one I bought seems to work just fine.

What I read about the temp is that cleaning at temps above 95 didn't seem to help and it could effect the vinyl and if you have to much alcohol then above 95 could have flammable fumes?

there was a chemist who went by quest110, and he mention the Triton X maybe a detergent with a neutral charge for better cleaning.. (he said something like:note it has the non-polar tail, but it's polar head is uncharged) wither any of this is true who knows.

I liked the photo-flo cleaning but going to try the Triton mix next...but it doesn't mix with water very well...so it is important to mix the triton-X with the alcohol 1st to help it dissolve before adding to the water.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,972
    Options
    I've been using tergitol np-9. I also mix it with 99% alcohol before the water.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.