Group Buy '16: Dreadnought Avel Lindberg 1000VA Isolation Transformers

At the request of a few members, I am creating this new thread to serve the members of the 2016-17 Group Buy that @250GTLusso has organized. OUTSTANDING work 250GTLusso!! My part will be the handling of funds and transfer of data for the order.

PURPOSE
For those not already familiar, the purpose of this group is to purchase at a discount the Avel Lindberg 1000VA isolation transformer for use in the AI-1 Dreadnought developed by @DarqueKnight (info links provided below) which greatly improves the sound quality that is possible from Polk's SDA speakers. If you are interested in participating in the group buy but are not on the list, please let me know as soon as possible.

CURRENT LIST
Right now, it looks like we have commitments to purchase 15 units. Here's the latest according to 250GTLusso:
1.) 250GTLusso
2.) 250GTLusso
3.) Drumsolo
4.) vcwatkins
5.) Nesmith98
6.) nooshinjohn
7.) honestaquarian
8.) RandyCroissant
9.) monepolk
10.) amb426amb1
11.) polk65
12.) polk65
13.) polk65
14.) polk65
15.) hieney9

Based on a quantity of 15, the unit price is $266.14ea plus $17.55 S&H.
If we can get 5 more interested parties for a total of 20, then the unit price drops to $243.19ea.

NEXT STEPS

* Let me know of any errors in the list of commitments above.

* Let me know if you are interested in joining the group buy but are not included above.

* Let me know if you have a serious problem with keeping the group buy open for a little while longer to see if we can get to a quantity of 20. There may be others who are on the fence or were not aware of the Dreadnought and need to read up.

FURTHER INFO
DarqueKnight's original 2008 Dreadnought thread
DarqueKnight's 2012 upgrade from 800VA to 1000VA
2012 Group Buy (nspindel)
nspindel's 2014 Group Buy
250GTLusso's 2016 Group Buy Inception
Toolfan's 2014 Dreadnought Case Run
F1's Neutrik Dreadnought

Thanks again, @250GTLusso for your hard work in making this Group Buy happen!

Craig
Den: Rega RP6 (mods) * AT33PTGII * Jolida jd9 (mods) * Roon * Sonore Ultra Rendu (LPS-1) * Lush USB * Chord QuteEX (Pardo) * Joule-Electra LA-100 iii * Sunfire Sig II * PSAudio p3 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2 (mods)
Office Rip: Music Hall MMF-5.1se * Speed Box II * DL103r * Parks Budgie SUT * PS Audio NPC * Roon * Sonore microRendu * Meridian Explorer ii * Dayens Ampino * PSA Dectet * MIT s3 * Hartley Reference Mini-Tower
Beach Gameroom: MH mmf2.1 * Denon dl-110 * Belles Phono 20a * Sonos * Arcam rDac * Belles 20a * Pass Aleph 30 * PSAudio Dectet * MIT s3 * Revel m22

Comments

• heiney9heiney9 Posts: 23,456
    edited December 2016
    My suggestion, and this is just a suggestion, is to hold it open for awhile maybe until the New Year. I know we have the possibility of incurring a price increase, but it gives people more opportunity to jump in, as I know for me, this time of year is extremely busy.

I see you didn't post a "hard" date to make the order, so perhaps leaving it open a bit longer might get us to 20 units :D

And has anyone confirmed Polk65 actually wants a quantity of 4?

H9

P.s. Most excellent including past "how to" posts. That is a time saver!
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Plus DAC | MIT Shotgun S3 | MIT Z P/C's | updated SDA 1C| SQ Box Touch/Welbourne Labs P/S- Tubes add soul!
  • vcwatkinsvcwatkins Posts: 1,605
    Thanks, H9. I'm guessing 20 is a possibility within a short period. I will be sending out confirmation PM's today to those on the list.
    Den: Rega RP6 (mods) * AT33PTGII * Jolida jd9 (mods) * Roon * Sonore Ultra Rendu (LPS-1) * Lush USB * Chord QuteEX (Pardo) * Joule-Electra LA-100 iii * Sunfire Sig II * PSAudio p3 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2 (mods)
    Office Rip: Music Hall MMF-5.1se * Speed Box II * DL103r * Parks Budgie SUT * PS Audio NPC * Roon * Sonore microRendu * Meridian Explorer ii * Dayens Ampino * PSA Dectet * MIT s3 * Hartley Reference Mini-Tower
    Beach Gameroom: MH mmf2.1 * Denon dl-110 * Belles Phono 20a * Sonos * Arcam rDac * Belles 20a * Pass Aleph 30 * PSAudio Dectet * MIT s3 * Revel m22
  • monepolkmonepolk Posts: 712
    I'll be looking for your PM. Also I have no problem giving it some time in case we've missed some members who may be interesting in joining in.
  • RandyCroissantRandyCroissant Posts: 306
    edited December 2016
    Great work!! Maybe Toolfan could chime in with case info as well.
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    PolkM7 peerless
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Polk m5jr
    Kimber
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list Polk SRS 2 or 2.3 TL, SVS sub, Parasound amp

• DrumSoloDrumSolo Posts: 9
    edited December 2016
    I'm on the fence about wanting a second one in case I come across a pair of reasonably priced 2.3TLs in as great condition as my SDA 1Cs
  • 250GTLusso250GTLusso Registered User Posts: 74
    Thank you Craig! Looking forward to this group buy.

H9 - I did confirm with polk65 that he wanted 4 units. I have also asked him to confirm his commitment for 4 with Craig.

I am confident that we can get to 20, and I am willing to wait for others to join the group buy. No rush.
    HT
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp
    Adcom GFA-585 Amp (Front)
    Adcom GFA-555 Amp (Rear)
    Adcom ACE-515
    Pioneer CLD-3070 Laserdisc
    Sony BluRay BDP BX59
    Samsung 50" Plasma
    Polk Audio SDA SRS Front (Walnut)
    Polk Audio SDA SRS Rear (Walnut)
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp
    Adcom GFA-565 Amps
    Adcom ACE-515
    Sony CDP-705esD
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL (Walnut)
    2 Channel (Garage)
    Hafler DH-110 Pre-amp
    Hafler DH-220 Amp
    Sony CDP-605esD
    Polk Audio SDA 1C (Walnut)

• @DrumSolo
    What's the hurt in getting a second one? You may or may not get the 2.3TL's now,but ya never know what may come in the future ;)
    (*besides it helps get the group a bit further to the next price discount*) :D

Craig
    Can you post some info about how the payment thing is going to go or are you going to do that in a PM to each member?
    Paypal is what they used before in the last group buy.

Carlton
    Living room Home theater: Upgrade Company modified Onkyo PR-SC5509,Sunfire Cinema grand Signature 5 channel amp(1st gen),Carver TFM-45,Carver M-400a,Panasonic TC-P50ST60 50" Plasma(last gen before Plasma production stopped)Pioneer Elite DVL-91,Oppo Digital BDP-103,TiVo Roamio Plus,Nakamich BX-300,Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type VxMR cartridge,Polk SDA-SRS 3.1 TL(with RD-0198 tweeters),Polk CS-1000P(with SL-6506 tweeter),Polk Monitor 5jr(with RD-0194 tweeters),Polk RT-35i (1),Polk Mini Monitor,Polk PSW150(2),Monster Power HTPS 7000 MKII Signature series,Monster Power AVS 2000 Signature Series,Various MIT,Monster,Upgrade Company and Belden interconnect,power,HDMI,Coax and Toslink Digital and speaker cables.

Bedroom 2 channel system:Integra DTM 40.4,Nakamichi BX-100,TiVo mini,Musical Fidelity X-LPS,X-PSU,Carver TFM-25,Sony KV-34XBR970(last of the widescreen tube sets before production stopped)Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type V MR cartridge,Polk RT-55(with SL-6506 tweeters),Polk PSW-200 in plexiglass(2),Sony Playstation 3 slim.Monster Power HTPS-5100MKII,Various Kimber,Audioquest and MIT interconnects and speaker cables.
  • Great work!! Maybe Toolfan could chime in with case info as well.

I second that

Hey @Toolfan66
    Any info on the cases?
    Living room Home theater: Upgrade Company modified Onkyo PR-SC5509,Sunfire Cinema grand Signature 5 channel amp(1st gen),Carver TFM-45,Carver M-400a,Panasonic TC-P50ST60 50" Plasma(last gen before Plasma production stopped)Pioneer Elite DVL-91,Oppo Digital BDP-103,TiVo Roamio Plus,Nakamich BX-300,Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type VxMR cartridge,Polk SDA-SRS 3.1 TL(with RD-0198 tweeters),Polk CS-1000P(with SL-6506 tweeter),Polk Monitor 5jr(with RD-0194 tweeters),Polk RT-35i (1),Polk Mini Monitor,Polk PSW150(2),Monster Power HTPS 7000 MKII Signature series,Monster Power AVS 2000 Signature Series,Various MIT,Monster,Upgrade Company and Belden interconnect,power,HDMI,Coax and Toslink Digital and speaker cables.

Bedroom 2 channel system:Integra DTM 40.4,Nakamichi BX-100,TiVo mini,Musical Fidelity X-LPS,X-PSU,Carver TFM-25,Sony KV-34XBR970(last of the widescreen tube sets before production stopped)Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type V MR cartridge,Polk RT-55(with SL-6506 tweeters),Polk PSW-200 in plexiglass(2),Sony Playstation 3 slim.Monster Power HTPS-5100MKII,Various Kimber,Audioquest and MIT interconnects and speaker cables.
  • nspindelnspindel Posts: 5,180
    I definitely say the enclosure needs a badge.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • Toolfan66Toolfan66 Posts: 13,217
    I will do the cases...
    Death Grip...
    Great!
  • gmcmangmcman Posts: 820
    Put me down for one....thanks for the effort on the group buy.
  • vcwatkinsvcwatkins Posts: 1,605
    gmcman wrote: »
    Put me down for one....thanks for the effort on the group buy.
    Gotcha, thanks @gmcman !
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    I will do the cases...
    Excellent, great news, Larry!
  • heiney9heiney9 Posts: 23,456
    ttt
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Plus DAC | MIT Shotgun S3 | MIT Z P/C's | updated SDA 1C| SQ Box Touch/Welbourne Labs P/S- Tubes add soul!
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 16,351
    I'm in for a case too. Nautral brushed aluminum would be nice.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Walker Precision Motor Drive with ClearAudio Titanium v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, Pass Labs Xono twin chassis phono preamplifier, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo BDP-95 Bluray, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds

Men are like a very fine wine. They start off as grapes, and it takes the love of a Woman to stomp the crap out of them in order to make them something modestly acceptable to have dinner with...
  • Toolfan66Toolfan66 Posts: 13,217
    Will you please put Brian (ER308L) on the list, I'm sure he will chime in after talking to him today, I don't want him to miss out on this, if he needs my help getting it, I will make sure he is covered...
    Death Grip...
  • dd2753dd2753 Posts: 1
    edited December 2016
    I am original owner of 2.3's. These are early model with donuts on the 6513 (I think) drivers. I found your forum when looking to upgrade these but also to find out about utilizing brigded amps.

I found so much great info and advice here. I really appreciate the members here. If you are willing to accept my new membership,. Please put me down for two of these dreadnoughts. I am looking to get another SDA pair and it would be nice to have the option to use bridged amps there. If it turns out I don't get that set one pair, I will offer the second dreadnought back to a forum member at cost.

Please let me know if you accept my commitment for two units. I can send funds upon request.

Thanks
    DDoyle
    DG Illinois
    Post edited by dd2753 on
  • Moose68BashMoose68Bash Posts: 3,411
    Isn't this Forum great!!!!!! :)
    Family Room, PS Audio PW Transport, DirectStream DAC; AQ Sky XLRs, Perreaux SM6 MKII Pre; AQ Sky XLRs, Perreaux Prisma 750 Amps or CAT 600.2 Dualmono Amp, Morrow SP7 Speaker Cables, SDA SRS 1.2tls (RD0198s, Dreadnought, Black Hole 5, Acousta-Stuf, Dynamat Extreme, JBWeld. Vr3 Mods: "The Abbot" Monastery-Level Xovers, Custom Internal Wiring, Binding Post Plates, & SDA ICs).

Exercise Room, Wadia 171 iPod Dock, PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC, AQ Sky XLRs, Perreaux SM6 Preamp, AQ King Cobra RCAs, Perreaux PMF3150 Amp, Dreadnought, Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables, SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers).

Synology 713+ NAS on Gigabit LAN serving PW MkII DAC & DirectStream DAC.
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 14,689
    Isn't this Forum great....at spending your money for you :)

Fixed it for you :wink:
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

My system makes me happy and changes too often for me to care to update a list..... you guys are good at spending my money!
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 7,476
    edited December 2016
    dd2753 wrote: »
    I am original owner of 2.3's. These are early model with donuts on the 6513 (I think) drivers. I found your forum when looking to upgrade these but also to find out about utilizing brigded amps.

I found so much great info and advice here. I really appreciate the members here. If you are willing to accept my new membership,. Please put me down for two of these dreadnoughts. I am looking to get another SDA pair and it would be nice to have the option to use bridged amps there. If it turns out I don't get that set one pair, I will offer the second dreadnought back to a forum member at cost.

Please let me know if you accept my commitment for two units. I can send funds upon request.

Thanks
    DDoyle
    DG Illinois

why use bridged amps? Most(bridged amps) do not like to see anything below 8ohms and the noise floor is greatly increased. Also not all SDA's can use this device. The last new guy left very bad scorch marks on some behinds when he flamed out and tried to hijack one from the manufacture....

welcome aboard stick around and get to know us and us you best way to do it.
  • @dd2753
    Welcome to the forum (*and the rabbit hole*) where you will be cheerfully shown how to easily separate your wallet from the funds inside on the regular! ;) :D

• msgmsg Posts: 3,317
    I was following this earlier, but lost track - has an order deadline been declared?
    Have one I bought second hand, but with the rarity of the opportunity, considering getting in for a second.
  • Are we up to 20 units yet?

• Moose68BashMoose68Bash Posts: 3,411
    edited December 2016
    Isn't this Forum great....at spending your money for you :)

Fixed it for you :wink:

Thanks, @EndersShadow!
    Family Room, PS Audio PW Transport, DirectStream DAC; AQ Sky XLRs, Perreaux SM6 MKII Pre; AQ Sky XLRs, Perreaux Prisma 750 Amps or CAT 600.2 Dualmono Amp, Morrow SP7 Speaker Cables, SDA SRS 1.2tls (RD0198s, Dreadnought, Black Hole 5, Acousta-Stuf, Dynamat Extreme, JBWeld. Vr3 Mods: "The Abbot" Monastery-Level Xovers, Custom Internal Wiring, Binding Post Plates, & SDA ICs).

Exercise Room, Wadia 171 iPod Dock, PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC, AQ Sky XLRs, Perreaux SM6 Preamp, AQ King Cobra RCAs, Perreaux PMF3150 Amp, Dreadnought, Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables, SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers).

Synology 713+ NAS on Gigabit LAN serving PW MkII DAC & DirectStream DAC.
    msg wrote: »
    I was following this earlier, but lost track - has an order deadline been declared?
    Have one I bought second hand, but with the rarity of the opportunity, considering getting in for a second.

There is still time if you want to get one.
  • Why is this particular transformer necessary for the dreadnaught (serious question) ?
  • It isn't "necessary" if you will.However if you look at all of the press that it has gotten here on the forum and elsewhere where people love polk SDA's.It is a vast improvement. So I will listen to the sage advice of some of the experienced Polkies and get mine this time! B)

• Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Will you please put Brian (ER308L) on the list, I'm sure he will chime in after talking to him today, I don't want him to miss out on this, if he needs my help getting it, I will make sure he is covered...

I sent him a PM yesterday. Couldn't hurt to post on here too. Because I'm definitely in!
    "The Night is Dark and Full of Terrors."
  • Put me down for one please if it's not too late. Sent vcwatkins a personal email.

Sorry long time lurker, time to join in the fun!
    SDA SRS 1.2TL x2 - SDA SRS 3.1TL x2 - SDA SRS 2BTL
    Carver TFM55 x2- Carver M4.0t x2 - Carver M1.5t X2 - Carver M1.0t
    Carver C-1 Preamp modified x2 - Carver C-4000t Preamp modified x2
    Carver MXR-150, MXR-130, TX-11, TX-2 Receivers
    Carver TL-3220, TL-3200 x2 CD Players

• RobbyKY wrote: »
    Put me down for one please if it's not too late. Sent vcwatkins a personal email.

Sorry long time lurker, time to join in the fun!

@RobbyKY
    Welcome to the forum.
    You are not too late.