New Psvane 12AX7 Prototypes

Options
http://psvanetube.com/wordpress/store/products/shuguang-custom-12ax7-lx-special-edition-pair-low-noise-triple-mica/

Just got my pair in the mail, took about 3 weeks from the time I paid. They're still cold as hell so I haven't done anything with them yet but just wanted to see if anybody has tried these out yet as well as let people know they exist in case they'd be interested.

They're $99 a pair right now but once they go into production they'll be $149 a pair.

eA4tvF5.jpg
This model features:

- ‘High Polymer Compound Carbon’ (HPCC) material used inside the tube to further quiet down the internal tube noise

- 25% more cathode effective area, improved cathode material, which lead to 25% more stronger electron emissions

- Improved triple mica plate structure to greatly decrease tube internal noise, make the tube even more suitable for portable application such as in high end guitar amplifiers and ultra high end home audio system so the tubes are less susceptible to system vibration induced tube noise. If you have a very sensitive super high end preamp and you have been quest for that ultra quiet tube, this might be your final answer. (As a reference, similar triple mica structure NOS 12AX7 tubes are now going for $250 per pair on the market)

- Enhanced filament material and structure – reduce floor hum noise to nil

- Higher gain factor than average 12AX7 tube, so your amp power supply won’t need to work as hard and make it work in more optimal condition

- Very musical, with balanced tonality across highs, mids and lows, large sound stage and outstanding transparency. Incredible details.
afterburnt wrote: »
They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk

Comments

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    I picked up a pair at this price. I like the Psvane tubes in the Cary.
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    Options
    I'm interested to hear how these sound compared to vintage 12AX7s and 5751s. Can't wait to hear your impressions.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    With Amperex 12AX7's made in Holland (gray plate, halo getter) in my phono stage when turning up the volume with no music playing you could hear tube rush (shhhhhhhhh). Put in the new Psvane 12AX7's and that tube rush is all but gone, I can't tell you how happy just that alone makes me. I can now hear a tiny bit of ground hum from not having my TT grounded that I couldn't hear at all above the tube rush before.

I'm going to wait until the tubes break in before saying anything about how they actually sound. So far so good though.

• Nightfall
    Options
    The much quieter background has made a very obvious improvement while listening to music.

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Is the Amperex brand spanking new too? How many other Amperex examples did you try and see if they are all the same.

Point being tubes are finicky and just because one Amperex 12AX7 exhibits "tube rush" doesn't mean they all do. And when you are dealing with 30-40 year old used tubes, I have found there to be some variance's there as even if we think we are getting a "true" NOS tube, many times that's not the case.

I'm sure for some this might be the exact reason they choose new production tubes, but for me I have yet to find anything that is new production that holds a candle to the best old production tubes. The methods, materials and machinery aren't the same.

Just some food for thought, not saying the Psvane's aren't any good. I had a Psvane 12AU7 in my EE DAC plus and didn't care for it vs. most old production 12AU7's and 5814's. It just didn't seem to have the "soul" some of the old tubes have.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Nightfall
    edited December 2016
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    How many other Amperex examples did you try and see if they are all the same.

I have seven of them.
    heiney9 wrote: »
    The methods, materials and machinery aren't the same.

It is my understanding that Shuguang/Psvane has been making tubes since the "golden age".

• heiney9
    Options
    I have never had that issue but I don't have a phono pre-amp and they are very intolerant of some tubes since the circuit has so much gain. Definitely requires a quieter than normal tube.

Maybe the new PSvane will be the answer.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    Of all the new production tubes I've tried, granted that's limited compared to others here, but I'd say 6-7 different brands and about the same amount of types of tubes, the Psvane have consistently been my favorite.

I'm buying boatloads of them so that 40-50 years from now I'll have the motherlode of NOS tubes. I'm no dummy, I'm getting out in front of this issue.
  • heiney9
    Options
    I don't think the new production tubes will last 40-50 years...lol. But, you might be onto something. Don't let the hedge fund managers know...lol

H9
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Of all the new production tubes I've tried, granted that's limited compared to others here, but I'd say 6-7 different brands and about the same amount of types of tubes, the Psvane have consistently been my favorite.

AGREED! They make solidly built, stellar sounding tubes.
    I'm buying boatloads of them so that 40-50 years from now I'll have the motherlode of NOS tubes. I'm no dummy, I'm getting out in front of this issue.

Smart man, very smart.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I'm just about finished listening to The Wall and they sound very good. Not bright and hashy like the cheaper new production Chinese tubes labeled "Ruby" that I have at all. Excellent sound stage width, deep authoritative bass, detailed without being bright or sibilant and a much quieter background.

• Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    Options
    That's great to hear! I've got a tube phono stage that I've been trying to tame the tube rush for some time now. So far I haven't been able to find a tube that was quiet yet sounded as good as my favorites in this stage (Telefunken smooth plates 12AX7s and Sylvania triple mica black plate 5751s). These may be just the ticket. Thanks for the review.
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    Options
    I bought some Psvane Treasures 12AX7 when first released and was disappointed with the 'noise' - hoping these are better in every way.
    [