Unplugged

Got any unplugged music/videos you like? Post a few...

I am partial Dave Grohl... Dude puts his heart into it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPd7Pd-jiO4#t=191.846678
My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |

Comments

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Bob Dylan unplugged is great
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    Neil Young unplugged is great.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Counting Crows across a live wire VH1 storytellers is one of my all-time favorite "unplugged" albums. I like the CC in college and bought the album used at Zia records. That album turned me into a huge fan for many years. And the SQ in very good.

Also VH1 10,000 Maniacs is excellent.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • rooftop59
    Skip I agree that the two electric tracks are by far the weakest on the album, but I don't hate that version of Anna Begins, just agree it's definitely not as good as the regular album version.

And I know he's probably not popular around these parts, but the first track of John Mayer's double album "Where the light Is" (the acoustic set) is phenomenal. Whatever else you think of him, the man can jam.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • The Eagles, Hell freezes over
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,927
    recorded, and filmed, long before the "unplugged" craze -- but, to my taste and in my hardly humble opinion, as good as it gets.

https://youtu.be/bbx7XfumW90

https://youtu.be/hSNJVjpFZDs

and the daddy of 'em all (with John Williams -- the Aussie guitarist, not that darned "Star Wars"/Boston Pops guy!):

https://youtu.be/wNjczDq5D4E

For whatever reason, the film version above is edited (shortened) -- which is a travesty ;) -- here's the full version, from the concert's 12" EP album.

https://youtu.be/F8nt_cC83N4

• mhardy6647
    one mo'. Always an acoustic song -- but a m o f o of one, played by its author, a m o f o of a guitarist.

https://youtu.be/j0kJdrfzjAg
  • Gatecrasher
    Is there anyone on here who has the capability of ripping a LaserDisc to a DVD and still retain the HQ audio?
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    My favorite was Alice in Chains and the Pearl Jam. Nirvana was ok I didn't really get into the music like the other two.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited January 2017

• pitdogg2
    You could tell in the episode Layne wasn't long for this world. He died not to long after it played... sad day for me.

Let's also toss in Godsmack they become one of my favorite bands.

Short story my cousin had a band called Pushmonkey out of Austin Texas. They were tapped 3 Yrs in a row to either play Rockstock or Ozzfest at Tinley park Illinois. He sent all access passes to us. We met a lot of good people. My son got to go hang with Jack Osbourne when he (jack) was about 13. My son was 10 at the time. He come walking out to us with a plate Ozzy sent to us packed with shrimp and lobster and all the fixings. One trip Godsmack took him aside and they all played some roller hockey with him. Although they had no skates to fit him that somehow didn't matter that day he had a very good time. Every time we went something happened to him that one of the band's made sure was something special he forever remember.

Of course the wife and I also had a great time.
  • rooftop59
    Is there anyone on here who has the capability of ripping a LaserDisc to a DVD and still retain the HQ audio?

What's a laser disk player lol???

I think that Keiko (rip buddy ;-) used to do high Rez rips from records. One couldn't one do a similar process with laser disks? I have no idea, just seems like it should be possible...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • pitdogg2
    rooftop59 wrote: »

What's a laser disk player lol???

I think that Keiko (rip buddy ;-) used to do high Rez rips from records. One couldn't one do a similar process with laser disks? I have no idea, just seems like it should be possible...

Very first Laser disc I believe used a needle like thing analog... best I remember. Sorry I was very young. I thought when they came back to market they were now all digital. Gatekeeper find a video transfer service they more than likely will have better answers IF they still have working machinery.
  • mhardy6647
    The needles were for the CED (Capacitance Disc) videodisc players. That was an analog video playback (only) format developed (if memory serves) by RCA.

http://www.cedmagic.com/selectavision.html
  • pitdogg2
    I new that i hadn't burnt that many brain cells. Either way i seem to remember they both had that prizim look to them.
  • Eric Clapton unplugged in pretty awesome.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • rooftop59
    I think if u had the right computer program you could run analog out the ld and into the computer and get a high Rez rip...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • pitdogg2
    I think if u had the right computer program you could run analog out the ld and into the computer and get a high Rez rip...

Might you be in the wrong thread...lol
  • zarrdoss
    zarrdoss Posts: 2,562
    Mikey already got the AIC, one of my reference CD's. There is also this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWmkuH1k7uA
  • rooftop59
    edited January 2017
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Responding to @Gatecrasher dude...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Gatecrasher

The reason I asked if anyone can rip a LaserDisc is relevent to this thread. As I mentioned earlier, "Neil Young Unplugged" is one of may favorites from the Unplugged series. Unfortunately for this title and some of the other "Unplugged" titles, they have never been available on DVD or BluRay. Just VHS and LaserDisc.

I would really like to have Neil Young Unplugged on DVD or BluRay but unfortunately it is N/A so the next best thing would be to burn a DVD from the LaserDisc.

I remember back in the days there were high-end LaserDisc players that had optical output for the sound but I don't think there were any with digital video output though. One thing I do remember about LaserDiscs is unlike DVDs, LaserDiscs contain no anti-piracy encryption.

My LaserDisc player is toast and there is no way I will ever buy another but I wouldn't mind watching Neil Young Unplugged again some day. I imagine it will be released on BluRay eventually but as-of today it is unavailable.

That's why I asked the question if anyone can rip a LaserDisc.

If there is someone that can do it for me I will give them the Neil Young LaserDisc to keep.
  • pitdogg2
    understand Gatecrasher and Rooftop. Working from a tracfone in most cases takes forever to download stuff when its video and picture heavy. I got confused and thought you had a separate thread. I see my mistake now while I'm on a real computer.

My apologies

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I have to Agree with the good Doctor about "Peter Townshend and the Secret Policeman's ball LP :)

To hear his version of Pinball Wizard & Drowned & Who get fooled again is tops!!!!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2017
    The "Drowned" in particular is just incandescent.

"Won't Get Fooled Again" with John Williams is practically delicate.
    One thing that Big T and (by extension) the 'OO understood was dynamics. Listen even to the original studio version of "Won't Get Fooled Again" (if you're not totally burned out on it from decades of AOR over-playing). Note the acoustic guitar :)

Of course, Townshend's demos are legendary, and (fortunately for all of us) many if not most are readily available. If you've not heard them -- many of them are revelatory.

He also was, and still is, as interested in (and, eventually as good at) recording and studio technology as he was as a rhythm guitarist. ;)

pt_homestudio67_lg.jpg

Note the pair of ReVox G36s! I'd love to have a pair of those myself...

still lugging those G36s around when he was recording the "Lifehouse"/"Who's Next" demos, 'e was:

rs-181676-140230162.jpg
  • rooftop59
    edited January 2017
    understand Gatecrasher and Rooftop. Working from a tracfone in most cases takes forever to download stuff when its video and picture heavy. I got confused and thought you had a separate thread. I see my mistake now while I'm on a real computer.

My apologies

No problem man! We do tend to get more sidetracked than an add kid on crack lol...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    You could tell in the episode Layne wasn't long for this world. He died not to long after it played... sad day for me.

Short story my cousin had a band called Pushmonkey out of Austin Texas. They were tapped 3 Yrs in a row to either play Rockstock or Ozzfest at Tinley park Illinois. He sent all access passes to us. We met a lot of good people. My son got to go hang with Jack Osbourne when he (jack) was about 13. My son was 10 at the time. He come walking out to us with a plate Ozzy sent to us packed with shrimp and lobster and all the fixings. One trip Godsmack took him aside and they all played some roller hockey with him. Although they had no skates to fit him that somehow didn't matter that day he had a very good time. Every time we went something happened to him that one of the band's made sure was something special he forever remember.

B) so cool! Godsmack acoustic is awesome -wish they had a unplugged I could get but they did put out a LP called "The OtherSide" and its awesome it is all acoustic but done in a studio. 7 tracks are a most own in my book!!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • pitdogg2
    voltz wrote: »

B) so cool! Godsmack acoustic is awesome -wish they had a unplugged I could get but they did put out a LP called "The OtherSide" and its awesome it is all acoustic but done in a studio. 7 tracks are a most own in my book!!
    And SACD
  • pitdogg2
    I have the dvd of this. I can sit and watch and just loose time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RRxZVM8b66A