Where to place my new amp

Options
Willow
Willow Posts: 10,878
My parasound is arriving Monday. I hear seeing the first 10-20 w are class a, it can get hot. In my cabinet I can put it on the lower shelf next to my yammy avr which doesn't get warm . It will have 7" above and a partial open back. The other option is on an open shelf , open from front, back and both sides but only has 2" on top.
Where of those two would be best?

Thanks

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Heat rises ;) Opt for the 7" clearance.
    Also handy for sliding the bread in there to make some toast while crankin the tunes.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    JF, unless your speakers are 4ohms, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Put is where you want, then run it with an action movie, put your hand on top of it after a few hours and see how warm it is. That will tell you if it needs more space.

Mark is running LSI 7s on a Para 1500A and it doesn't even get warm. When he had them on a 50 wpc Rotel amp, you could fry an egg on it after a few hours.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    My 1500 barely gets warm driving the snot out of my SDA2B's. Either option should be fine. Use which ever is more convenient.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    um, my house :#
    "Where of those two would be best?"
  • Willow
    Options
    Oh OK I was worried about the talk of the heat this thing puts out. My rotel was at the bottom and was warm but that's it. Thanks guys and Cathy!
  • Willow
    Options
    Well this sucks, it appears as though my rotel has developed an issue with the two front channels. I think the rca input might be loose. Caused a major hum until I moved the cables a bit. So im using the rear channels for now. I was getting everything ready for the arrival of the parasound tomorrow. Frustrating but not the end of the world. I'll get it looked at some other time but in the meantime I'll use the centre and the rears .
  • Willow
    Options
    Yup amp is definitely messed up in the rca inputs. Looks like I'll have to find a local repair shop.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    Mount one of these at the back blowing out https://www.coolerguys.com/collections/cabinet-cooling/products/coolerguys-pro-metal-series-single-120mm-cooling-kit-cabcool1201-m

I have one in my current stand, the new stand I am working on will have 2.I place the temp probe on top of the receiver and when it gets 88f in there the fan kicks on.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    Options
    Willow wrote: »
    Yup amp is definitely messed up in the rca inputs. Looks like I'll have to find a local repair shop.

Which ROtel do you have?

Let me know how the Parasound goes.... congrats!
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Willow
    Options
    The 1075. On truck for home delivery today. I'll be at work. But they deliver until 8pm so since we are getting about 15cm of snow it will hopefully delay the delivery until I get home.

Ya Joey, I'm beginning to think it was due the amp being bunched up against the back of the cabinet putting pressure on the cables and inputs.
    I'm in no rush to get it fixed right now because it'll be sitting with the extra gear in the basement for a couple years.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Any piece that runs hot should be given the most space around it and circulation. Using those low voltage computer style fans for inside cabinets works well also.

This is typically why I don't like cabinets to begin with, plus I like to actually see the gear. Wives have a different opinion however.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    An emergency situation or severe weather condition has delayed delivery. no dice for today I guess.
  • Willow
    Options
    I know I called them they said expect it tomorrow. That's if I'm home when they come by. If not Wednesday for sure which could work out as my other sets of MIT ics should arrive then too.
  • Willow
    Options
    First attempt to deliver today. Means I'll get it tomorrow as I'm home and on top of that my other MIT AVT ICs are due to arrive tomorrow as well. Perfect timing, only have to move the cabinet once... for now as I have coming later this week an 7ft Signal Magic PC for my sub.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    Options
    You got it yet?
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Willow
    Options
    No tomorrow during the day ups is usually here about 1 pm same time as the sectional.