Possible deal on a Marantz 7703? Opinions appreciated.

Options
I wasn't really in the market yet for a full AVR / pre, although thinking about Marantz based on the opinions here.

A 7703 pre popped up close enough to me for $1600. ...with warranty? It was purchased in Oct. this year, and they got upgradeitis. It could be a deal, but my guess is its close accessories4less pricing... if they offered it. I am not sure how a warranty could be transferred either. I think these are upgradeable, so idk whats better about the new stuff. I have a busy weekend, and not much time to research pricing, good deal, or real capabilities. I thought I would at least ak here in case it is a really good deal I shouldn't pass up. I think it has more than I need channel wise, but the room setup, plus other goodies could may this a keeper for a while. My initial plan was ~$1000 for an AVR depending on features. Maybe less if I could get buy with less channels.

Eventually I want to run 7 or 9Ch with sub(s). I am probably not going to do ATMOS. I was thinking an AVR and have the AVR power some of the speakers, but I think a AVpre and an ok amp(s) for the weakest speakers would be fine, at least to start. I am not streaming yet, but getting my FLAC library started on an HD. RN I have a BD player that plays them, but the menu navigation is not great, and needs the TV. Easy navigation directly from my HD would be a plus.

Comments

• Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Options
    That's probably an average price. It's difficult since it was just released in October. I would think you could probably get a new one for around that price or wait a few months and you should. You probably can talk him lower too. Also remember, this is a pre/pro with no amplification. So you will need separate amps or multichannel amps to power all your speakers. I do love my Marantz pre/pro and highly recommend it.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 744
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I was guessing the same on price. It hasn't sold yet either, so I haven't missed out. I'll see how long it lasts, do more research. I think I would be too low of an offer.

I saw the 7702 MKII is still popular. I am guessing the 7703 is similar to an 02 MKII with a firmware update. The 88's must have a few more bells and whistles.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    The 7702MKII is still being blown out at $1199 new. To me there is not much of a difference between the two other than a couple of streaming options added in the 7703. I couldn't identify anything else between them and wonder why they even did a replacement already. The 88 series is much better built but the functions are pretty much the same.
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 744
    Options
    @Emlyn Good to know, that is what it appeared to me as well. I'll check on the streaming stuff when I get the time, just to be more versed in the differences.

Whats the differences in the build of the 88 series? I thought the 88 were new a new series this year.