Well crap...

Options
We were on the way home Sunday afternoon and I saw what looked like a blood clot in my left eye. So after a trip to the ER and several doctor visits later it appears I've got a tear in my retina and burst blood vessels in that eye and it will require surgery.

Unfortunately this was my only functioning eye to begin with so I am essentially blind at the moment. While the surgery has a decent chance of restoring at least some vision there's little chance I'll get it all back so we're hoping for as little loss as possible, though permanent blindness is a possibility.

I was thinking this morning about all the travel we've not yet gotten around to and even the fairly local stuff that we want to see that we've been putting off thinking we'll get to it next year, and how that may not happen now. So let that be a lesson to the rest of ya, if there's something you really want don't wait around or put it off until later because later may not be there when you get around to it.

There are obviously worse things than going blind and I'm otherwise fine for now, but a little freaked out nonetheless.

I have the op on 12/20 and will know within a few weeks what if any vision I can expect to have going forward, you guys wish me luck.

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Options
    On a side note, I'm going to list my gaming rig and VR up for sale here to help pay for everything, hate letting it go but I've got a decent amount of money tied up there I can use for the surgery and I can always buy it again later when/if I can actually use it.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    My prayer and thought are with you Danny and I could only imagine what your going thru.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    Best of luck to you, @AsSiMiLaTeD.

I've got eye problems (lost 2/3 of the visual field in my right eye due to undiagnosed glaucoma) and cataracts that have been partly remedied. Not now as serious as yours, but everyday I worry about what happens next.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    My goodness the things people have to go thru. :/
    Prayers and thoughts your way.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,070
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Sad to read this news. We'll both hope and pray for the best possible outcome for you.

Why are "they" waiting until the 20th to do surgery -- or am I misreading the first post?

Mrs. H had a (so called) giant retinal tear in December 1998. Off we went for emergency surgery in Boston. Turned out well. She lost a little peripheral vision in that eye, and has a little lumpiness in her visual field due to scarring, but vision is very good otherwise. Ultimately, she also developed a cataract, but cataract surgery today is virtually trivial. She's also got an artificial lens in that eye, come to think of it. She has a little card she carries to note for emergency personnel (or organ harvesters) that she's part-bionic.

She still has twice-yearly checkups on the status of that eye (actually both of them, as a year later she had a retinal tear in the other one, too). So far, so good.

• Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    Good luck and prayers. Keep us posted. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Geez... sorry bro. It's a tough road, for sure. My dad had eye surgery recently so I know how tough it is. Best of luck man.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Hang in there, Danny. We're all pulling for ya!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    Wow Danny sorry to hear my friend. Will be pulling for ya', let us know if any of us Texas brethren can do anything for ya'

Peace bro
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    prayers on the way Danny.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,834
    Options
    Danny, I'm wishing the best for you.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Sending good thoughts and hoping for the best for you.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Oh man, that is really something. Good luck. Hope all turns out well.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,119
    Options
    Just saw this post... Nooshin and I offer our thoughts and prayers to you and your family. May the healing hand of God rest upon you and make you whole again. If there is any way I can help...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    Hang in there Danny...
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Best of luck. Prayers heading your way.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    Sorry to hear about this!

Sounds like you've handled it quickly. That's the best course of action with any retinal issue. Do your research on Ophthalmologist and get as many opinions as you can.

Good luck buddy!
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    Oh man, prayers your way for sure.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,081
    Options
    I hate to hear this Danny, but I have to say that you seem to have about as positive of an attitude as possible given the circumstances. The attitude you project is both inspiring and humbling. You will be in my thoughts and prayers for a full recovery.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • polk500
    polk500 Posts: 1,171
    Options
    Sorry to read about this, wishing you the best possible outcome with the surgery...

Roger
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    Thoughts and prayers sent your way. Hoping things workout the absolute best way possible.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    I hope all goes well for you, Danny. My youngest daughter had an operation for a partially detacted retina and came out of it fine. I hope your operation goes as well for you.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,882
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear of your unfortunate situation. I hope it all goes well for you.
  • simm
    simm Posts: 562
    Options
    So sorry to hear this. Hoping for a successful recovery.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    Positive thoughts and prayers sent your way, keep the faith my friend.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Crap man, anything we can do just ask brother. I mean anything. Prayers sent your way.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Options
    Prayers your way
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,986
    Options
    Sorry to hear this Danny. Best of luck with the upcoming surgery.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    Options
    Hoping the best for you.
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Hope all goes well with the surgery!
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703