New 2 Channel Setup Cable Suggestions

Comments

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I rend to agree with your plan. Get used to your gear first. That way changes you make will be easier recognized. I also agree with the pre-owned route as well. Go through a few different brands and types to gain some first hand experience.

Welcome to the rabbit hole!
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Joey_V wrote: »
    sgmsmg wrote: »
    Oh well. I got some good info to work with. I think I am going to get used to my gear for now. I will swap in some locally sourced balanced interconnects to see if there is any noticeable difference. In the meantime I will get rid of my leftover home theater stuff and use those funds to put towards cables in the future.

Just try not to go crazy on everything like I did.

Fixed it for you.
  • If Joey is crazy, I want to be Joey. o:)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,903
    Man....how about this, those of you who are cable naysayers.....don't post in a thread about cables. You guys always monkey up these threads and get them closed.

We have a member who seriously wants to learn about cables and synergy, that's part of audio in case some forgot what we do around here.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    I'll take the blame. I said things you should not say out loud. "WOW, a good cable thread" (budget cables no less). I was worried about posting that. Its like saying "I'm going to leave work early today", "Be there in 5 min", or "Traffic is looking great for this time of day, we should make great time". :p
    Oh well. I got some good info to work with. I think I am going to get used to my gear for now. I will swap in some locally sourced balanced interconnects to see if there is any noticeable difference. In the meantime I will get rid of my leftover home theater stuff and use those funds to put towards cables in the future.

Post back your thoughts on the balanced cables, or pm me. :) PS welcome to another internet forum cable thread. :/ Most folks on here are insightful, and threads are informative, but certain topics always seam to go downhill.
  • kharp1
    I certainly meant no disrespect to the OP or anyone else. I was poking a bit of fun at the whole market in general as there is often an excess of hyperbole that, at times, borders on the snake oil salesman. I see no reason why some fun can't be had along the way while learning and sharing experiences. It's one of the ways we can make it a less "sterile" enviroment and learn about each others character and personality. I do agree that just because you haven't had the awakening expereince of cabling noticeably changing your system is no reason to flame.
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    I just want to throw in that I've tried several types of speaker cables, interconnects, power cables, digital cables, etc. from the likes of Audioquest, Acoustic Zen, MIT, ZU, etc. and I've had great synergy using Analysis Plus in my systems. Just wanted to throw that out there as another viable option. There are a lot of them out there, it's really just a matter of experimenting and finding what works best to your ears in your budget.
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    I knew it was all in fun. This is the internet and the forums are supposed to be a fun way to share/learn/entertain.

There was a delay picking up the XLRs until this weekend but I will follow up with observations.

One question I have is regarding power protection/filtering and 2 channel setups. Is it a good or bad thing to have everything running through my Panamax 5300-PM. I know these are more for home theater applications but for now it is all I have until I upgrade to something like a PS Audio. I am already using better than stock power cables (Pangea AC-9/AC-14SE).
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • sgmsmg
    Dawgfish wrote: »
    I just want to throw in that I've tried several types of speaker cables, interconnects, power cables, digital cables, etc. from the likes of Audioquest, Acoustic Zen, MIT, ZU, etc. and I've had great synergy using Analysis Plus in my systems. Just wanted to throw that out there as another viable option. There are a lot of them out there, it's really just a matter of experimenting and finding what works best to your ears in your budget.

Thanks for the feedback. I have read up on Analysis Plus cables and they are on the quickly expanding list of possibilities.
    2 Channel
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI

Home Theater
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
  • tonyb
    Normally everything but power amps, as some power conditioners can be limiting on current.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Analysis plus, for the money are hard to beat.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • sgmsmg
    tonyb wrote: »
    Normally everything but power amps, as some power conditioners can be limiting on current.

That is what my concern was. Should I just make sure I unplug my amp when not in use?
    2 Channel

Home Theater
  • sgmsmg
    Analysis plus, for the money are hard to beat.

There definitely seems to be more deals to be had on these.
    2 Channel

Home Theater
  • tonyb
    Analysis plus, for the money are hard to beat.

Good cables, have the AP crystal ovals on one piece. Non fatiguing high end, nice wide soundstage and midbass, just a tad lacking in lower bass oomph and detail. Least in my system anyway. That's were the AZ cables brought the goods for me. Not exactly cheap either retail, but pretty affordable on the used markets too.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711

That is what my concern was. Should I just make sure I unplug my amp when not in use?

No need unless you're having a T-storm or away for awhile.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb

Not really, like F1NUT said, unless your prone to brown outs and lightning strikes in your area, or heading to the Bahamas for a few weeks. Simple small fluctuations in line voltage won't hurt modern equipment.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • sgmsmg
    F1nut wrote: »

Not really, like F1NUT said, unless your prone to brown outs and lightning strikes in your area, or heading to the Bahamas for a few weeks. Simple small fluctuations in line voltage won't hurt modern equipment.

Good to know thanks!!!
    2 Channel

Home Theater
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I use the AP black mesh oval 12's with my SDA- CRS+'s and Dave made me a inter-connect cable with the same cable :)

I'm using Acoustic Zen -Satori's on my 705's.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • F1nut
    The advice given with the above exception has been spot on. Most amp manufacturers will tell you to plug straight into the wall. Those that tell you to.....well you likely don't want one of their products.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    *not to......

President of Club Polk

• gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Simple small fluctuations in line voltage won't hurt modern equipment.
    VERY simple, VERY small fluctuations.

1.The power company fixed the damaged neutral
    2. I ran a dedicated 20A,
    3. I sent my then (9/2015) new Outlaw prepro to repair

As of 12/2015 I power all my low-draw gear by an APC H15 plugged into a dedicated 15A. All my amps powered by two dedicated 20A.

Unplug and disconnect* EVERYTHING** before an imminent storm or if you leave for 2 or more days.
    * cable/dish too
    ** if you value it, like microwaves, computers, routers, modems, etc

Merry Christmas
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • F1nut
    edited December 2016
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    *not to......

Based on your track record - not to listen to your advice, such as your "reckless equipment maintenance suggestion to a new member."

Everyone but you knew that was a joke and that you lied to Ken about the PM's between you and I. Hence, the reason I was back in 2.5 days. Oh snap!

Since you brought up track records. Have you stopped to think why 99.9% of the members consider you a troll and can't understand why you stay here as no one listens to you or even likes you!?!

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Just can't help your disruptive behavior, can you.

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    xcapri79 wrote: »

Good to know thanks!!!
    There is some poor advice being given. The Panamax M5300-PM has two high current outlets for your amplifiers. I suggest using them.

Only if you have weak, budget amps. Out of curiosity, I plugged my two amps into a Panamax (the one with a current meter), and it started vibrating and buzzing like crazy. Shunyata power conditioners are designed to not limit current, and will improve the sound of your amps.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • kharp1
    Why can't we all get along? And in this holiday season as well, makes me sad. I think there are some people in need of a hug.
  • X, needs to hug a nut.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,506
    This place is like one dysfunctional family.

:)
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • kharp1
    Well, I should feel right at home!
  • tonyb
    voltz wrote: »
    I use the AP black mesh oval 12's with my SDA- CRS+'s and Dave made me a inter-connect cable with the same cable :)

I'm using Acoustic Zen -Satori's on my 705's.

Good match up's there pal. The Black Mesh 12's on the SDA's should sound pretty freakin' good. MIT also does well of course with SDA's. The Satories on the 705's is also a pretty good match up.

Just for giggles, you should swap them just to see whats what....if you haven't already.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's