bum rap on Phase Linear amps ?

Options
I asked this a ways back and was really surprised by most of the answers. I believe they were called Flame Linears and I never heard of this before seeing it in print here. The guys over at AK suggested I join Phoenix Audio Forum to get the goods on anything Phase Linear and their pres also. When I told them of some here and the moniker it has they said it was mainly because they were used in a wrong application for the amp. The ones that did indeed go up were pushing hard P.A. systems and were not designed for that at all. Crowns and McIntosh yes and later Bose 800 pro series P.A.s. When used for home use even with out D.C. protection the opinion over there say they were ok for that and just that pushing a set of home floor standers or what ever you had. Does this change any attitudes of this amp at all. If I got one filty dirt cheap I would see how it performs against my Adcom. For sure they are not a good looking amp once past the front plate and all you see are giant heat sinks. Then the ones in walnut cabinets look ok.

http://forums.phxaudiotape.com/forum.php?tabid=2
2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    if you get one dirt cheap and it is bone stock I'd be hesitant. They have been known to send copious amount of DC to the speakers so use some you do not mind losing. These amps are hit and miss. Roland at http://hitechaudioltd.com/ he has original parts for Phase Linear and is one of the best for all things Carver. I have used him many times over the years. call him up pick his brain he will not BS you but give you the straight info.
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,387
    Options
    0qtjis78cm3q.jpeg
    This wasn't caused by "flame linear" but this is the result if they go DC out.. they did it often enough to gain this reputation. Ask people that worked on them back in the day, guys that have opened dozens of them and they will tell you they earned the reputation. May be exaggerated with time but it still happened enough to be a factor when using one.For the money (usually paid ) there are many other equal or Superior sounding amps that don't do this! Why chance it! They are not "SPECIAL enought to take a chance imho.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,032
    edited December 2016
    Options
    My sincere hope is that the immolation above is a Pioneer HPM-100. It is, sadly, clearly not a Klipsch Heresy.

:)

EDIT: upon reflection ;) no comment on the Phase Linear amplifiers.
  • leftwinger57
    Options
    Doc you must have a thought or 2 about them. Guys I'm not buying anything and I do like my speakers all of them, so not tempted to just fry them. I just wanted to hear it again and the sentiment has not changed. What some over on that Phoenix site did say was the White Oak modded ones are the ones to get if going for a PL400. I do like those freaking PL4000 pre/amps w/ tons of knobs and switches.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • onearmrog
    Options
    I used to live about a mile fro0m the Phase Linear plant in Lynnwood WA. and have had possibly over 100 Phase Linear5 components and currently have a pair of P-510 speakers , 4 pair of the P-580 speakers with the matching Phase Linear stands and a few 4000 preamps and a few processors. Back in 1981 when
  • onearmrog
    Options
    Bob Carver sold to Pioneer I ended up with the Phase Linear signage , The older gear was pretty durable but similar sound quality to pro audio gear of the time as the gears got to sounding better build quality went down and then Pioneer took over and ended production, it is my opinion that this is not true audiophile gear, it can and does work well and some of it is incredibly powerful but at a sacrifice of some Sonics. The stuff looks great but should be considered more of as collector type of electronics.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    I've got a local contact with both amps and the pre. I will eventually own one of the amps fully redone by him (he's got some special sauce to ensure it doesn't light on fire) with white or blue LED lights.

I've seen one he has redone and it's gorgeous!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)