Where to connect L/R interconnects

If I am using a dvd player as a transport, and a cd player (player does not read discs anymore) as a DAC, is this how i should be hooking up my set-up:

Coax or Toslink from the digital out of dvd player and into the digital in of cdp and then the L/R interconnects from the back of cdp to the preamp and then from preamp to amp? Or should the the L/R interconnects come from the dvd player to the preamp and then preamp to amp?

This is probably a stupid question but will someone please tell me how?

Thank You.

Comments

• Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Looks like you're feeding them like this:

DVD>> CD player >> pre-amp >> amp >> speakers?

Since the CD Player does not read discs anymore...

If that is the case then you'll need the interconnects from CD-player to Pre-amp.

This should work if the CD-player will take digital in and send out as analog.
    Otherwise you might need to go digital out to the pre-amp also and then use interconnects from Pre-amp to the amp.

hmmmm... not sure if I'm helping you.

Why have the CD player in the loop... just use the DVD player as the CD player, most will do this... unless your DVD will not support DAC?

Might need someone else to chime in.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,480
    which CD player? I'm thinking that is a digital out on the CD player. I would just go from the DVD player unless that is a TOTL CD player with a great dac section. Just seems to me to be too many things in the chain.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Never heard of a pure CD player that will accept a digital signal and output that analog (come to think of it, never heard of a CD player that has a digital input period, only output). I have an old yamaha dvd changer that was part of an HTIB that will do that, but that was because it was meant to be the HT hub with possible external sources (like a cable box).

A model number of pic of the back of this CD player would sure help us!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • okay. The cdp is a cambridge audio azur 740c and i believe this has a good dac section. So, the manual for the 740c says that one can use the dac inside the cdp for other sources.

Should the set-up be like this then:

Coax or Toslink from digital out of dvd player to the digital in on back of cdp and then the L/R interconnects from the back of cdp to the preamp and then another set of L/R interconnects from back of preamp to amp?
    Is this how I should be setting up the thing? I don't know what you mean by the cdp taking digital in and then sending out as analog.

Help
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    edited December 2016
    OK.... just looked at the manual for your CD player...
    https://techsupport.cambridgeaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/200572061-Azur-740C-upsampling-CD-player

Appears it does to upsampling from external digital sources allowing the device to serve as a very high quality DAC. (Their words, not mine.)

You can only hook up the Coax or the Toslink, one at a time. Not both at the same time.

Since the cd disc player is not working in the CDP, then use the DVD to read the disc, digital output from there to the CDP. Then analog interconnects from the CDP to the pre-amp and analog interconnects to the Amp. Speaker wires as normal from amp to speakers.

Yes, you'll need 2 sets of interconnects if you're feeding from pre-amp to amp.

Toslink to coax input into the CDP as digital in.
    Then use interconnects (analog) out to the pre-amp.

That should do it.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • Legender: Thank You Very Much For Your Help bud.