Phase Question

Hello folks. I have a Marantz SR7005 AVR. The 2 main speakers of the 7.1 system I am using pre-out's to 2 power amp's in mono to the left and right towers.

When using the Audyssey microphone to calibrate the surround it continues to state that the towers are out of phase.

I have checked the polarity of my wiring ad nauseam and is correct according the power amps diagram.

Thoughts ?? Suggestions ??

Anyone ever came across this ???

Comments

• monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    Yes if you've confirmed that it is correct then ignore it and move on.
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    I don't know what amps you are using. Some amps do have a phase switch. If they are a bridged mono design, someone could have goofed something up when making them mono.

What are the speakers? Do the binding posts have red and black screw down connectors? Can the connectors be removed? Are they on the same side for both speakers? They could have come off and gotten reversed. The same could be true for the amps.

The best way to check would be to skip Audyssey, and use you unit has has for a Pure Direct mode, i.e. 2 Ch only, bypassing the tone controls and most other electronics. See how the bass sounds, is it there, is it full? How is the imaging? If you have a mono source, try that. That should identify if something is out of phase. Test CD's are great for this, and some DVD / BD's have mono in phase and out of phase tracks for testing. If I don't have a mono source, and the room is funky or I am demo listening, I have a goto track that has a hard hitting tight kick drum. I can see the woofer move out on the kick. If it is out of phase is sucks in and doesn't pop out near as much. Some electronic bass drum tracks can work too provided you know how the woofer responds. I also know how it is supposed to sound.

Using the same setup as above you could also see how it sounds using the Marantz amp.

If you have determined everything is in phase, take it out of Pure Direct and try again. If everything is fine and Audyssey still thinks something is off, I would try Audyssy with the speakers powered from the Marantz amp. If Audyssey still says something is out of phase when using the Marantz amp, I would make the recommended Audyssey corrections and let Audyssey finish. Then see how it sounds in stereo and if there is any different between Pure Direct on or off. If there is a difference, I would take the unit back.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    I had a Yamaha receiver do the same thing. I switched the connection TO out of phase....guess what.......it said speakers out of phase. there was no pleasing it:) Yes the amp may make a difference I would try it without the amp direct from the receiver to see what it does. IF it says they are now correct something in the amp may be inverting the signal. Which amp? is it common ground?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Don't sweat it, sometimes those automatic calibration programs get stuff wrong.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Vette C6.r
    Vette C6.r Posts: 1,560
    Great ideas guys.....thanks for the responses.....just like cars. It's likely someone else has had the issue before. Thanks for all the responses.
  • Vette C6.r
    Vette C6.r Posts: 1,560
    They are two Carver a-500x. Mono to each tower.