Bought a Sony XBR-75Z9D TV

Options
BlueFox
BlueFox Posts: 15,251
Around the middle of October I attended Skip’s audio fest in Arlington Texas. The main reason I went was to meet people, and, hopefully, show people a CA compassionate libertarian with a liberal bent isn’t all that bad.  :)

Anyway, while the audio part, and beer drinking, was fun, I was hypnotized by his 75” Sony 4K TV. Even after returning home, I could not get the TV out of my mind.

In 2004 I bought a 57” Hitachi RPTV that worked well, but only did 1080i. The picture was very nice, especially after I had it calibrated. I even spliced in an IEC connector so that I could use a Shunyata power cord on it. Yes, the power cord did improve the picture. Still, in the back of my mind I knew that after 12 years there are better TVs out there, and they are easier to move around than the RPTV models. Additionally, the top part of the TV (the screen) was a 57” hollow plastic drum, and it vibrated a lot with either bass in a movie, or from music when I listened in the HT. I cannot describe how irritating that was when it occurred. To work around that I used adjustable shower curtain rods between the top and ceiling, and each side to the wall. This was able to brace the plastic enough to eliminate the vibration, but looked awful. Somebody described it as redneck HT. That’s me, alright. LOL.

However, ever since I bought the Magico speakers a few years ago, I have drifted away from watching movies on Friday/Saturday night. Yet, after seeing Skip’s TV I started watching a bit more, and finally decided to get a new TV. Of course, I went back and forth on that decision before I ordered one, after a few Friday night beers. Big decisions like that need a lot of thought with extra brain power.

I decided to get the very latest LED technology (Sony XBR-75Z9D) even though the cost is a bit steep. I am still uncomfortable with the reliability of OLED at this time. Since, I really haven’t bought anything major since getting my Lumin file player, I rationalized the TV by saying I have been saving money for a couple of years.

Yesterday, I took a sick day, and with the help of a friend, removed the RPTV, replaced the curtains, assembled the stand, and setup the TV. Needless to say, just sitting there it looks mucho better. After I turned it on, I put Avatar into the Oppo 103, and was floored by the picture quality. It was almost 3D like since it was so stunning. My friend has a Panasonic plasma, and even he was impressed. He immediately started coming up with reasons to convince the wife they need a bigger, better TV. LOL.

At this point I am getting used to the TV, and all its options. Currently, it is set to Cinema Home, since I only watch movies on the HT TV. I think I will wait a bit for the reviews to see how close the stock set is calibrated, and if it is close to the ISF standard then skip the professional calibration. At least for a while.

The only issue I can find after a few hours of use is that I can’t find the option to upscale to 4K. I’m sure it must support that, but maybe not.

Next up is the really clean and dust the HT so that it is worthy of the new TV.

TV:
5a0qamyu2sxb.jpg

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_15875XZ9D/Sony-XBR-75Z9D.html?tp=60890

Old TV
voepb6xx16ni.jpg
Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

Comments

• WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    edited December 2016
    Options
    That would be my choice for a tv too. I love the sony XBR series. Congrats and enjoy. Nice!

That is one hell of an upgrade.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    Schweet, so are you getting the Oppo UHD player that comes out this month to go along with it or are you going to wait for Sonys UHD player to go with it? That Skip is quite the enabler isn't he!
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Sweet man, you did good. You can google up some professional calibration settings.

See what I'm talking about with the color renditions ? It's like a freakin' rainbow of color. True color too, not over bloated and obnoxious.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueFox
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Schweet, so are you getting the Oppo UHD player that comes out this month to go along with it or are you going to wait for Sonys UHD player to go with it? That Skip is quite the enabler isn't he!

I will get the Oppo. I have had an Oppo 83, 93, and 103, and have been very happy with each one.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling I will be repeating that Blueray cycle with the UHD player. Plus, I suspect I will then be rebuying my favorite Bluerays in the UHD format. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    Very nice TV con-grats.

Your TV stand could use a little help. A few years ago I built a TV stand with old borrowed tools and Lowe's junk wood. I am now ready to rebuild it. tahv7tb9b1o1.jpg

Now that I know what I am doing a bit I will using baltic birch and give it a go. You said you are in CA. North or South. I can build one for you or help out.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
  • BlueFox
    Options
    mrloren, thank you. I am in Norcal, and that is a very nice offer. Your stand looks great. However, I just got the stand along with the TV. The only thing on, or in, the stand will be the TV. All my gear is adjacent on Mapleshade racks.

Please excuse the dust. :)

xefddpuhhvdf.jpg

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mrloren
    Options
    Here is a couple of other TV Stands I built recently for the kids.

My oldest apartment
    9ntppa79a64f.jpg

Kids Room
    c8d5zq2oywbx.jpg

Get the awesome TV of yours a stand worthy of it :)

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    looked awful. Somebody described it as redneck HT. That’s me, alright. LOL.

Old TV
    voepb6xx16ni.jpg

THIS is a redneck HT...

lnkxacxrc8cj.jpg
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Ken I shared that pick with you because I thought you could keep my secret...pfft
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mrloren
    Options
    mrloren, thank you. I am in Norcal, and that is a very nice offer. Your stand looks great. However, I just got the stand along with the TV. The only thing on, or in, the stand will be the TV. All my gear is adjacent on Mapleshade racks.

Please excuse the dust. :)

xefddpuhhvdf.jpg

Nice, I am in SoCal 5 miles from the border. What a bummer I would love to build a stand for that TV and awesome gear.
  • dalylaleahthor
    Options
    This is the reason why I shy away from the So Cal gathering. You see that wow factor and next thing you know it ends up in the living and the wife is like how did you afford that.

Anyhow great looking tv.
    Epson 3020 projector. Da Lite screen. Oppo 103. Yamaha CXA5000. B&K 7250ii. HSU VTF2. Def Tech Supercube 4000. Polk Rtia9 CsiA6 FxiA6. Monster hts 2600. Home theater.

Bedroom consist of NHT model 2 powered by Parasound hca1200ii coming from my computer.

Stuff laying around. Too much to list but don't want to sell either.
  • mrloren
    edited December 2016
    Options
    This is the reason why I shy away from the So Cal gathering. You see that wow factor and next thing you know it ends up in the living and the wife is like how did you afford that.

Anyhow great looking tv.

AMEN on that one

The SoCal life is not cheap. One reason I got into woodworking. Wall hanging stand was about $70 to make and the stand alone was $50. Both are solid Baltic Birch. Making stuff saves me money and it's fun. I have even gotten good enough to sell some of what I make.
  • papatom
    papatom Posts: 137
    Options
    Awesome upgrade! Congrats man! Wife and I ventured out to Best Buy over the weekend and saw a Sony 85" 4K TV and were floored. We walked out and the first and only words out of her mouth were "Don't even think about it..." lol.
    Marantz SR5011 / Polk Audio Signature S55 towers / Polk Audio Signature S35 Center/ Polk Audio Signature S15 surrounds / Velodyne DPS-10 / Samsung 60" KS8000 / Samsung UBD-K8500
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    Amazing TV. Congrats
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Very nice, enjoy!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Congrats Bud! Awesome TV. The set-up looks great too.

I have the same one Skip has. I actually purchased it from Skip. Thanks again Skip. This is one purchase I smile every time I turn it on.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Thanks Thorton. I initially was going to buy from Skip. However, I started thinking about why am I spending that kind on money on a TV that I rarely use anymore. So I told him I changed my mind, since I am also thinking of buying a Lexus NX Turbo F Sport. Incidentally, I bought both my previous TV and car at the same time in 2004. Anyway, a few days later, after some beer, I thought "WTF. I need the TV more than the car." LOL

However, maybe 10-15 years or so ago, I had an absolutely terrible experience with Sony Laredo customer support over a, next to TOTL, DVD/SACD player (before BR existed). Basically, it broke after 6 months or so, and Sony Laredo would not repair it unless I paid them more than it cost. I was furious and told them to send it back as is. I then contacted Crutchfield, who I purchased it from, explained the situation, and they said no problem. They shipped me a new one, and free shipping for returning the bad one.

Long story short, for this amount of money, I decided that I would be more comfortable buying this from Crutchfield in case I had a situation like I did with the DVD player. Other than my previous Sony experience, I would have been more than happy to buy from Skip. I guess I am getting conservative in my old age, at least with money. LOL

As a side note, it arrived un-damaged in a few days via UPS freight, and was packed quite well.

Tonight will be my first movie night, and am still undecided what to watch. Maybe I will stick with music. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Thorton
    Options
    I can't wait to get a 4K UHD player. Regular blurays are absolutely outstanding to watch on mine and I'm sure the same on yours. I actually bought the new Star Trek in 4K. Now I'm just waiting to decide on the Oppo, Marantz or Sony when they come out.

To your side note, I could not believe how stinking big it was when I pulled it out of the box. My helper was my wife and I was worried about her lifting it up on my entertainment rack.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
  • BlueFox
    Options
    I just watched the new Star Trek BR last week on the old TV. I am going with Oppo when they release it this month.

The hardest problem I had after unboxing it was putting it on the stand. The freaking instructions were just diagrams, with no words. Both my friend and I are software engineers and we were all over the place trying to put three pieces of hardware together. LOL.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Thorton
    Options
    That is funny and I know what you mean on the no words.

One more thing. I like watching a lot of sports and so far all look really good. I don't know if you are a fan but hockey is also outstanding on these TV's.
  • BlueFox
    Options
    San Jose Sharks. Almost Stanley Cup champions. :)

I am debating whether to run a cable coax back to it. The previous TV was just a monitor, no tuner. Which was fine, since I just watched movies. Maybe if the Sharks get to the playoffs this year I might use it as a 'TV'.

Personally, I wish the manufacturers would just offer these TVs as monitors with no tuners or audio. I suspect most buyers have cable and HT setups, so a tuner and audio is irrelevant.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    Yeah watching Hockey through a cable feed fine and dandy, I want to hear your impressions on the new Oppo and a UHD 4k disc and that Sony once you get it all together.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    Nice TV!
    The only issue I can find after a few hours of use is that I can’t find the option to upscale to 4K. I’m sure it must support that, but maybe not.

I'm going to assume that 4K TV is like all of the others and that it automatically upscales everything to "4K" resolution.

When watching movies, I found that I liked letting the Oppo 103 handle the upscaling over my Sony.

The Sony does an awesome job, but the Oppo just looked slightly better. Slightly sharper image and a bit better detail.

Try them both with your new TV and let the winner upscale!
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Upstatemax, I don't understand. The Oppo 103 can't upscale to 4K.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Options

The Oppo does upscale to 4K:

BDP-103

Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Disc Player

Exceptional Picture Quality by Qdeo Processing

4k Up-Scaling, 3D Playback, 2D to 3D Conversion
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Kool. Thanks. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options

The 4K upscaling is a big part of the Qdeo chipset in the BDP-103. It does an awesome job. Your TV seems to have an updated Sony chipset in it so your TV might handle it better than the 103. Luckily it's quick and easy to find out!

IIRC, you have to have your TV hooked up to the BDP-103's HDMI out 1 to utilize the Qdeo chipset.

If you are connected to HDMI out 1:

-Then go into setup
    -Choose "video setup"
    -Then set output resolution to "4Kx2K"

With that setting, the BDP-103 will now upscale everything coming out of it.

I would really like to know your thoughts on how they do. If my Samsung plasma were to go right now, the 65" version of your TV is most likely the TV I would pick up to replace it.
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,042
    Options
    How is the viewing angle on this TV? Does the picture wash out at wide viewing angles?
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    How is the viewing angle on this TV? Does the picture wash out at wide viewing angles?
    Fyi, rtings.com is a great place to get info on this. It's amazing the differences between TVs from the same manufacturer that you might assume would be similar. Samsung, in particular, has a pretty broad lineup.