Polk Audio Magnifi Mini - An Ongoing Review

2»

Comments

• heiney9heiney9 Posts: 23,353
    DSkip wrote: »
    I think it resets itself, but they should just be treble/bass settings that you can adjust yourself.

At power off/on? I wasn't sure if it was just a bass and treble setting or electronic. Lately I've been noticing a lot more bass (perhaps it's fully broken in). The manual doesn't state how to reset back to normal.

I'll pay attention to the bass/treble settings the next time I use one of the presets and see if they are set differently on the display.

H9
  • smglbrthsmglbrth Posts: 1,002
    On mine the bass/voices always stay the same as the last setting used, as does the settings of movie/sports/music. The volume, however, seems to go back to around 1/2 way whenever I turn it on. I believe it came set for "movie" when I first turned it on and the bass/voice control were flat (in the middle)...
    Thanks

I never have it turned up past about 1/2 way so I don't notice how the volume is when I first turn it on. It may be resetting to a specific level, I've never noticed.
  • adabroadabro Posts: 180
    Picked up one of these for the wife - she has a little set up in the kitchen and was constantly buying crappy little speakers. New unit works great for space and sounds so much better than anything she's used up til now.
  • msgmsg Posts: 2,897
    Hey guys, what's the network/wifi for on this unit? There's a new guy who started a new posted titled "network" asking about the setup. I skimmed over the documentation - all I could see was the Quick Start Guide, and unless I missed it, no mention of wifi setup?

I see it has ethernet, but what function does wifi/ethernet serve with this unit?
    Looks to me that all the streaming/wireless discussed is over Bluetooth?

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/176879/network
  • D2LoD2Lo Posts: 351
    the WiFi/ethernet is for Google Cast.
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 7,512
    D2Lo wrote: »
    the WiFi/ethernet is for Google Cast.

Jeez Michael...catch up ;)
    Google Cast is so yesterday

Chromecast built-in :)
    edited April 11
    Still going strong, but 2 issues that I'm not sure if is TV related or soundbar related.

Originally I had the Magifi Mini hooked up via optical, it's what cable was already hooked up and with the TV being on the wall the HDMI ARC connection was hard to get to.

When I suspended the center speaker under the TV, it's permanent position, I also now have it hooked up via HDMI w/ARC. I think it actually sounds a tad better through the ARC hook-up than the optical (I was using my own audiophile grade optical, not the very tiny one Polk supplied).

Now that the background is set issue 1 involves lip and dialog sync issues. Over the weekend on certain stations is started to get really bad. I did on one occasion turn off the soundbar and then back on and it seemed to fix the issue for awhile. It's totally random when this happens. The TV is fairly new also, but listening w/o the soundbar has never showed this issue.

The 2nd issue is whenever we fast forward/rewind/pause on the DVR and resume play there is a varying length of audio cut-out. I time shift almost everything I watch because commercials have gotten out of control, plus I can control the playback then.

It seems almost every single time we stop fast forward or rewind there is a gap of 2 seconds to 10 seconds before the sound kicks back in. The green light on the front speakers stays solid the entire time, so I don't think it's dropping the signal from TV to Mini

Neither of these issues happened before I got the soundbar. I've had the TV since February and either used the TV speakers or routed the optical out to my dac to play over the main stereo before I recently purchased the Mini

Both issues are starting to annoy me, especially the sound cut-out thing. I'm inclined to believe it's the soundbar, but I will do more experimenting. Last night I had the audio( from the TV) routed by the optical to my dac and through the main rig and I had neither of these 2 issues.

If I may speak bluntly, I have seen a fair number of posts here and elsewhere about niggling little issues, I hope these bugs can be fixed because Polks rep is on the line.

Otherwise I absolutely love the Magnifi Mini and it's a PERFECT fit for my needs.

H9
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 12,906
    Have you used the ARC before? Perhaps this isn't an issue with the Mini and actually an issue with the TV? No accusations there - just an opportunity for troubleshooting.
    edited April 11
    No, I'm not sure which it is. Not sure how I would test the ARC since the soundbar is the only thing using it.

I will add the Mini was dropping sound when hooked to optical, but then when I ran the optical to main rig dac, it didn't seem to do it. But honestly I wasn't really keeping track so maybe it did. Seems more prominent with the ARC connection

But I'm not certain so I will experiment more with both connections (optical and HDMI ARC)and take notes.

Just spit balling here to try and figure out the issue.

H9
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 7,512
    Just a quick google seems like several sound bars through ARC have had sync issues

Some were resolved with TV firmware updates

Good luck Brock...keep us updated, I have yet to pull the trigger on one ;)
    Thanks for the info

TV has Smart Cast/with and Android Tablet as a remote/control center and I believe it updates automatically each time new firmware comes out, but I'll check into it.

Maybe I need to "configure" the TV arc settings............seems there is a tab on the tablet for that
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,218
    Not so sure your TV updates automatically Brock. Updates work just like on your computer, you have to OK them, TV shuts down and has to restart itself. Process can take anywhere from 10 minutes to 30 minutes depending. So I'd look into that first thing, should be a tab on your TV settings to check for updates.

The look into the Arc issue and any corrections/adjustments you can make there. You may wind up having to not use the Arc with the mini.
    edited April 28
    Tony, the entire Smart Cast engine is in the Android tablet, not the TV. That runs the whole TV and like a computer and your phone you can set it to automatically update or notify and give permission. The tablet sits in a wireless charging cradle 24/7 waiting for use. It's about 25% larger than a typical Android phone.

But I will investigate further, maybe I need to initiate some things from the tablet that don't automatically update. But on a few occasions the tablet has made noise indicating it was finished updating something, we didn't initiate in those instances.

In fact the gf was sneaky the other day when she went out on the deck. We had been talking about a song and couldn't remember who sang it. After about a minute the TV started YouTube and the video of the song. She had cast it from her phone while on the deck. For a minute I was like "WTF", but then I remembered we can cast from any Android device.

I agree maybe ARC isn't the best way. The only annoying thing is that different commercials and broadcasts have different volumes, but not on the TV alone and the delay of sound coming back on when pausing/ff/rew recorded content. I do need to look into the ARC settings. IIRC, the delay also happened when using the optical out into the Magnifi Mini. Overall a bit annoying but not enough to unrecommend.

H9
  • kirkaj123kirkaj123 Posts: 3
    I just purchased this soundbar along with a new Samsung 4K 50 inch MU6300. I too am experiencing the slight delay. LOVE everything about it but this is a tiny bit annoying. It's not a ton off just a bit. I can really tell as well having the TV on in the other room. I am running HDMI ARC. I have also tried Optical. If I connect my Cable box direct there is no delay. So the delay is definitely coming from running through the TV. Delay on TV had to be set to zero just to get it this good. I guess on the Samsung sound bars there is a sync adjustment. Nothing to adjust on this one. Like the above poster not bad enough to not recommend but just a bit annoying. Plus Im a huge Polk fan from way back. I've contacted Samusung as well so we'll see what happens. The thing is if HDMI (ARC) is connected it wants to take over. I still need to connect HDMI in to the set for Video.....so when they are both connected it defaults to HDMI (ARC). I have to leave it plugged in for Blue Ray audio. So no one else but the one poster is experiencing this?
  • Batman_RobinBatman_Robin Posts: 10
    DSkip wrote: »
    Perhaps no ventilation was provided to those units.

I did find this last night when i am using it for some hours. Do you have any suggestion or should i just leave it?
    edited May 18
    I haven't watched a ton of movies in the cdp, but it doesn't seem to have the lag issue like broadcast TV. Some channels are worse than others and I do get the lag running Netflix programming through the casting feature of the TV.

I simply turn off the sound bar for 30 seconds and then back on and everything syncs up again. Sometimes I have to do this more than once, but rarely is more than a couple times during a night of TV. I also don't experience it every time I watch.

So far I've just been too busy to explore it further. At some point I will.

H9
    Above, I meant dvdp, not cdp......

H9
2»