Flapping, "raspberry" sound with loud bass

I've been using my Monitor 10s as studio monitors for mixing. Every once in a while, the bass gets very loud and one of the speakers gives a flapping-type sound, similar to if one were blowing a raspberry (https://youtu.be/R3oQFa-SqfM). I'm guessing something is blown? Can anyone give me advice? Thanks.

Comments

• Sounds like a spider might have come loose. I would unscrew one of the mid drivers (6.5 inch ones) and check the spider and make sure it is not loose connecting to the shaft of the voice coil. Welcome to the Forum by the way!
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • You can also light tap on the driver cone (kind of like when people tap their fingers on a desk) and it should sound like a resonate drum, if it ever sounds off (scratchy, like metal on metal) chances are the voice coil is rubbing which means the driver is basically dead. There is someone on this forum who straightens them out for free I believe.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • Thanks for your response codycatalist. I did the tap test and found one speaker that feels like the cone is fixed in place. Do you have experience with this? Is this a loose spider (did it move?)? Or is the speaker gone. Thanks in advance!
  • If the cone is fixed in place the magnet shifted. We have someone here who will actually fix it for you for free. You just pay to ship it to them and back. I will try and tag them here.

• Just a dude doing dude-ly things

• Thanks again @codycatalist I will contact him.
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 449
    Hey - Yes I'd be glad to re-center the magnet for you. I'd ask you to ship it to me and give me a few days before I send it back. Please send me a message if you like.

Thanks,
    Ryan
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • @lawdogg You're awesome man and like has been previously mentioned you offer an awesome service! Now only if you could figure out how to fix holes in surrounds I would have 5 drivers on the way haha!

• lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 449
    I should figure that out ... I have 2 dead MW6500s with good surrounds under my bench, I wonder how hard it'd be to remove those surrounds ...
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • lawdogg wrote: »
    I should figure that out ... I have 2 dead MW6500s with good surrounds under my bench, I wonder how hard it'd be to remove those surrounds ...

Ha! Let me know if you do.